Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothing

• 03-07-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I am taking the test soon and thinking of a Honda Transalp or similar style of bike. I have no gear at all as the guys I am learning with provide everything. For someone starting out what is the best thing to look at clothing wise. My biking will probably be commuting not that far and touring at the weekends or holidays. Any suggestions or websites. I want good gear but at a cheap price if there is any such place out there.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Essentials: Helmet, jacket, gloves waterproof leggings.
    Non essential but should have: Boots, armoured waterproof trousers.

Youll probably get as many brands recommended as there are posters, we all have our own favourites. Just make sure your jacket is guaranteed waterproof, with armour on the shoulders, elbows and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Just get the best gear you can afford. Think of it as an investment youll be wearing the stuff every day so its worth putting a few pound into it. Take a spin down to Hein Gericke thir stuff isnt wild cheap but is top quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I went up to Hein Gericke last weekend.. Got Helmet, jacket, boots, gloves n tank bag for €700. Tis alot of money but its worth it. When I was pricing it up I thought it was mad but then I thought about how much my normal clothes cost, and then thought about coming off a bike a 50mph in them. The cost makes a lot more sense then...

It'll last me and protect me... U could easily spent near €2k if not more getting kitted out up there. Some of the gear is crazy pricey

Have yet to get a bike :-( was meant to be collecting it today but it still aint ready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Oryx wrote: »
    Youll probably get as many brands recommended as there are posters, we all have our own favourites. Just make sure your jacket is guaranteed waterproof, with armour on the shoulders, elbows and back.

It is well worth spending a few extra quid and getting a seperate back proctector. Most jackets have terrible back protectors in them, and the few that have good protectors in them still wouldn't be as good as having a serperate one. In my opinion it's the second most important thing to saving you in a crash after your helemt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

BrynW wrote: »
    It is well worth spending a few extra quid and getting a seperate back proctector. Most jackets have terrible back protectors in them, and the few that have good protectors in them still wouldn't be as good as having a serperate one. In my opinion it's the second most important thing to saving you in a crash after your helemt

2nd that... Was one of them that saved a mate of mines spine. Was about to pick one up at the weekend but ran out of cash. Aim to get one next week.

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote: »
    2nd that... Was one of them that saved a mate of mines spine. Was about to pick one up at the weekend but ran out of cash. Aim to get one next week.

Well worth the money. I haven't been riding bikes for the last 2 years but I have had a know back protector for about 4 years at this stage, it's a stow away one so it rolls up when you are not wearing it which can be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Cheers for the advice. Some useful things to remember. I think it is just all the excitement of taking the lessons its all I seem to be thinking of. I will wait and see what I plan to do if I get the test first before jumping into anything. If I get a lone for a bike may as well add a bit for decent gear and do the thing right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Well worth the money. I haven't been riding bikes for the last 2 years but I have had a know back protector for about 4 years at this stage, it's a stow away one so it rolls up when you are not wearing it which can be handy

Any links to these Brian?

I am safety man :D

MREGAN wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice. Some useful things to remember. I think it is just all the excitement of taking the lessons its all I seem to be thinking of. I will wait and see what I plan to do if I get the test first before jumping into anything. If I get a lone for a bike may as well add a bit for decent gear and do the thing right.

If you're in Belfast, go to Hein Gericke. I got a gore tex jacket off them. It kept me dry yesterday morning in torrential rain, good quality stuff I think, but I am a novice :D

I have a BMW back protector, got it as a present a couple of years back and its the business, missus has a knock one and I would reccommend them just as much.
    Your doing it right anyway getting training and decent gear before you even get on the bike

• Advertisement

Very sorry,

Looks the business. Will put it next on my list,

gabgab wrote: »
    Very sorry,

Looks the business. Will put it next on my list,

No problemo!

Yeah definatly stick it on your list, well worth the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is a Hein Gericke in Newry, too.
    Also Cotters in Ballymount (Dooooblin) are good for cheap clothing, good quality stuff.
    If the budget is really tiny, try the offers in Lidl and Aldi that come around every few months, although their stuff wouldn't be as good.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Theres a built in back protector in my targa jacket..are these any good?

also Jacket and trousers (both targa) have developed holes after a year of motoring. They're worn almost everyday and have done a few cross country trips. This usaully ends in a bad dose of wet crotch syndrom when its raining. This leads me to believe that the Back Protector in the jacket cud be completly pointless.

so basically what i'm asking is...Are targa clothing brand a pile of crap???

paulieeye wrote: »

so basically what i'm asking is...Are targa clothing brand a pile of crap???

I've been into bikes for about 7 or 8 years and i've never heard of Targa....so that's not a good sign!

I've been into bikes for about 7 or 8 years and i've never heard of Targa....so that's not a good sign!

thats tells me all i need to know...now a have an excuse to buy new gear!

paulieeye wrote: »
    thats tells me all i need to know...now a have an excuse to buy new gear!

Have Targa waterproof for over the leatrhers, they have been grand for the last year, dry as a bone in some torrentail downpours but recently seem to be letting in some water around the seams. You'd be doing well to find any gear that wouldnt though, so I wouldnt have a problem with Targa gear. But deffinitly get a new back protector. IMO the ones in jackets, even expensive ones, dont offer the same protection as a seperate one. Also, take out the one in the jacket if you have a seperate one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its worth getting a neck tube or something similar for the winter too

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Targa brand are marketted by the same company that do Richa clothing, as a more budget line. Theyve been on the market for at least 7 years. Their waterproof overgarments are really good. Cant speak for the rest of the line as I havent really seen much of it.

BlueBandit wrote: »
    seem to be letting in some water around the seams.

same with mine. Seams around the shoulders and crotchal region. They held up well for bout the year but gone to pot the last month or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭The Sheriffk

Howya , i can recommend Simon Cotters for gear , dont expect much in the line of customer service , its a real help yourself and ask the price .He has a great range to suit every budget .

And no i dont work for him ..........

if you get him while he is busy , the price is better .......

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

+1 Cotters

Always get good gear and really cheap.

Advertisement