Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 310 suction mount - can't remove from windscreen

• 03-07-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Howdy... I couldn't see anything on this in the archives...

The suction mount for my 310 is stuck to the windscreen in my car. I need to put the unit into another car, but can't get the mount to release from my windscreen. It's the standard Garmin fitting & I've never had this problem before.

Tried so far:
    1. Flip the release button, pull the mount away at various angles (with varying degrees of force)
    2. Trying to slide a butter knife between the suction cup & the windscreen to break the suction... aside from pitting the side of the suction cup, no luck
    3. Swearing profusely at suction mount. (Hasn't worked so far...)

Anybody had this problem before who could provide any advice (other than shelling our 40 yoyos on a new suction mount)?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There should be a little tab on the rubber that you can use to lift and break the vaccuum seal.

Aside from that, try turning on the heater/demister, which should help release it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Thanks Seamus... I'll try the trick with the demister (although the rake on my windscreen is quite sharp, so it's quite a distance away from the windscreen demister).

Also, the suction pad itself doesn't have on of those little tabs (which is strange now that I think of it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Success!.. well, sort of...

I finally managed to remove the suction mount, but bits of the rim of the suction cup were left on the windscreen, leaving a black "O" on the windscreen. :eek:What's left of the suction cup won't stick to the window in the other car now...:mad:

Anybody selling a suction mount for a Garmin Nuvi 310?!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's funny, my Garmin suction mount kept falling off! I'd get a Garmin bean-bag mount instead.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lick your finger and use it to wet the face of the rubber disc before attaching it to the windscreeen, it should not fall off. If anything as the previous person said you should find it sometimes difficult to take if off the windscreen.

When you take the mounting off the window it will leave a telltale circle inside the windscreen which is a signal to thieves that you have a satnav unit, don't forget to wipe the windscren with a tissue before you park the car in a public place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement