Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Jersey Sightings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Beasty wrote: »
    Looked like Jawgap in his new jersey at 7:11 this morning approaching Blakes Cross from Lusk (changing your route to get spotted are you Jawgap?;))

The jersey was in the process of getting washed thanks to this glorious Irish weather

'twas me indeed and thank you for your consideration in holding back to overtake - thought it was your motor vehicle alright when I saw it sweep by. How come you weren't on two wheels today?

I was taking the "enhanced" commute today - turn at Balbriggan and follow the coast in. It's a bit more scenic than the old N1. Although today it was a bit moister than usual. The washing took place between Rush and Blakes Cross, before I was rinsed between Malahide and Portmarnock! The second wetting felt worse than the first one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    'twas me indeed and thank you for your consideration in holding back to overtake - thought it was your motor vehicle alright when I saw it sweep by. How come you weren't on two wheels today?
    Didn't want to be the first person to take out someone in the new boads jersey, so held back when I saw the van coming from the opposite direction!

Racing tonight, so the bike is in the back of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭positron

Noticed a Boards jersey south of Balbriggan this morning, heading in Dublin direction. Last few weeks since I started driving, I have noticed a number of other bikers on that stretch of old N1 between Balbriggan and Swords. I wonder if they are commuting all the way to work somewhere in Swords/Dublin? If so, respect!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

positron wrote: »
    Noticed a Boards jersey south of Balbriggan this morning, heading in Dublin direction. Last few weeks since I started driving, I have noticed a number of other bikers on that stretch of old N1 between Balbriggan and Swords. I wonder if they are commuting all the way to work somewhere in Swords/Dublin? If so, respect!!

That was probably the same Jawgap that I posted about earlier - he's actually coming in from Bettystown, doing well over 100km return journey when he takes the scenic route.

I'm regularly on the old N1 also, heading in from Skerries in the morning and detouring via Balbriggan on the way home - the new jersey will be keenly awaiting its first "regular" spot (only been spotted in a race so far)

Are you really saying Jawgap (and possibly others) commutes from Bettystown to Dublin (City Center somewhere?) on a bike? That's wow, some daily commute..!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

dokter wrote: »
    Saw one this morning in Glengarrif, about 11:30/40.
    Was just about to start on the climb up caha pass

Me:)
    Gf and I doing a short tour of the Beara peninsula for the weekend.

Are you really saying Jawgap (and possibly others) commutes from Bettystown to Dublin (City Center somewhere?) on a bike? That's wow, some daily commute..!!
    I believe he does most days, and yes it's to the city centre somewhere ...

(He only does it to get mentioned in this thread though;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I saw a possible KenMc in Templeogue this evening - prob about 18:00!

Beasty wrote: »
    I believe he does most days, and yes it's to the city centre somewhere ...

(He only does it to get mentioned in this thread though;))

Abbey Street is my final destination.

the commute is no problem - it's the cycling around and around until your spotted that takes up all the time:)

Abbey Street is my final destination.

No way..! I work close to Abbey St myself, and takes the train for my daily Drogheda-Connolly commute, and I would have never thought you could do it all by bike. How long does it take you on a good day?

* Sorry for asking this here on this thread... and to make the post relevant - I didn't see any boards jerseys on old N1 yesterday evening or this morning! :D

• Advertisement

No way..! I work close to Abbey St myself, and takes the train for my daily Drogheda-Connolly commute, and I would have never thought you could do it all by bike. How long does it take you on a good day?

* Sorry for asking this here on this thread... and to make the post relevant - I didn't see any boards jerseys on old N1 yesterday evening or this morning! :D

No probs - I'm sure the mods will suitably chastise us if this should go somehwere else and strictly speaking Beasty original sighting wasn't a jersey sighting as I had the gilet on!

Coming the most direct route - Eastham Rd -> Old N1 etc takes about 1.5hrs to 2 hrs depending on weather, traffic etc. with 1:40 being a good average. I've yet to break 1:30 but I think it's theoretically possible. I usually turn at Swords and come in along the coast through Malahide and Portmarnock, simply because it's a much nicer spin in that way compared to Santry, Whitehall and Drumcondra. Going that way turns it into a 2 hour training spin. In the evenings I tend to just take the straight route home.

My wife commutes by cycling to the station and getting the train in. Interestingly, in terms of door-to-desk, I tend to beat her most mornings:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

About 20mins ago, new kit top, Leeson Street then down Fitzwilliam Sq. Brown rucksack and white bike

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

About 20mins ago, new kit top, Leeson Street then down Fitzwilliam Sq. Brown rucksack and white bike

Finally, I've been spotted.:D
    Thas was more than likely me.
    Robert

Coming the most direct route - Eastham Rd -> Old N1 etc takes about 1.5hrs to 2 hrs depending on weather, traffic etc. with 1:40 being a good average....

Thanks a million, Google Maps shows distance from Bettystown and Drogheda to town would be approximately the same (47/48 kms). Certainly something for me to consider now!

Thanks a million, Google Maps shows distance from Bettystown and Drogheda to town would be approximately the same (47/48 kms). Certainly something for me to consider now!

No probs - drop me a PM if your looking for some company on the way in or out.

The other option to consider is cycling in and getting the Matthews coach home (they take bikes no problem & don't charge) - might be worth considering for the first trip in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Old style jersey spotted at about 6.15pm at the junction of Gardiner Place/Hill Street/Temple Street this evening. On a black Felt (I think) carrying a spare wheel on his back.

Was gonna shout 'hey boardsie' (seeing as I was wearing the Boards shorts) but he was focused on the road, track standing and waiting for lights to change. Hello whoever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

new style spotted someone coming out of an apartment on georges street, on yesterday (tuesday) bike looked like a fixie, person might have had a goatie as well.

jersey looks nice in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

New jersey spotted around clontarf at 8:15 heading to Howth. I was on my way back in to town after climbing a few hills out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

new style spotted someone coming out of an apartment on georges street, on yesterday (tuesday) bike looked like a fixie, person might have had a goatie as well.

jersey looks nice in the flesh.

Could have been me leaving work. Blue Charge Plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

unionman wrote: »
    Old style jersey spotted at about 6.15pm at the junction of Gardiner Place/Hill Street/Temple Street this evening. On a black Felt (I think) carrying a spare wheel on his back.
    Was gonna shout 'hey boardsie' (seeing as I was wearing the Boards shorts) but he was focused on the road, track standing and waiting for lights to change. Hello whoever you are.

Hello. twas me. still have that dam wheel on my back today too. trying to source a freehub!
    didnt spot ya, normally on the look out for other boardsie! heckle me next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

New jersey spotted around clontarf at 8:15 heading to Howth. I was on my way back in to town after climbing a few hills out there.

That was probably me. Woohoo--spotted the first time I wore it.

Cramcycle dropped the jersey around to me on Tuesday, so Wednesday was my first chance to wear it. I was heading out to Howth for a couple of ascents.

There was quite of few people out, which was you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My wife commutes by cycling to the station and getting the train in. Interestingly, in terms of door-to-desk, I tend to beat her most mornings:)

Jawgap, just curious is this throughout most of the year or just the spring/summer months. What do you do for the winter?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Jawgap, just curious is this throughout most of the year or just the spring/summer months. What do you do for the winter?

I'll do the commute pretty much year round. When the evenings and mornings get darker I tend to stick to the direct route rather than meandering all over the countryside! The only real rule of thumb that I have is not to do Blake's Cross in the dark on the way in - on the way home it's grand.

The only conditions I won't cycle in is ice or heavy frost - all the falls I've had have been when I've been stupid enough to try and cycle in icy weather.

Last January was a bit of disaster - between the weather and college two nights a week my commutes went down to about once sometimes twice per week, but most weeks it's 3 per week, plus one shorter commute (park in Malahide and cycle the coast road) and one rest day (to restock with shirts, jocks etc). Although if Mrs Jawgap is driving in, I'll throw the supplies in her car, cycle and get them from her later.

I also use a turbo to make the long winter nights seem even longer:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good god man your commited, I salute you

I'm aiming in the next two weeks to do a 56km each way commute to work, my route isn't very busy due to a new motorway and the surface is good so hoping it'll go well.

112km a day is going to be hard going but I'm going to give it a try just the same :)

I don't know if I'll do it come the dark mornings though, might need to invest it some really good lights and also some very good rain gear

Cabaal wrote: »
    Good god man your commited, I salute you

I'm aiming in the next two weeks to do a 56km each way commute to work, my route isn't very busy due to a new motorway and the surface is good so hoping it'll go well.

112km a day is going to be hard going but I'm going to give it a try just the same :)

I don't know if I'll do it come the dark mornings though, might need to invest it some really good lights and also some very good rain gear

Thanks - good luck with it.

I do it part out of necessity and part out of enjoyment. Definitely good lights and decent gear are crucial to continuing to do it during the darker days. I've also found that doing the occasional longer commute helps. By that, I mean every now and again I'll ramp up the commute to 160km (90 in the morning and 70 in the evening) - then when I go to do the straight 100km commute it seems short!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Hossbox

Old style jersey spotted at about 6.10pm at the Mount Argus Road traffic lights on Harold's Cross road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Cycling along beside/behind/in front of an old style jersey on macken St and Sam Beckett bridge yesterday at about 6:15pm until he turned right along the quays toward the O2 and I headed down guild St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

May have been me - had a dayglo rucksack on my back. Were you on a hybrid with short sleeved shirt/shorts? Did I look as tee'd off as I felt having to cycle into the wind going home as well as on the way in? (Although it did seem to come back round me on the Alfie Byrne road/clontarf)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

May have been me - had a dayglo rucksack on my back. Were you on a hybrid with short sleeved shirt/shorts? Did I look as tee'd off as I felt having to cycle into the wind going home as well as on the way in? (Although it did seem to come back round me on the Alfie Byrne road/clontarf)

There was a rucksack alright as I remember trying so see around it to confirm the jersey. Didn't pay much attention to the dayglo of it tho. And you didn't look all that happy, no. Yeah, I had a plain blue cycle top with black shorts and a black bag on my back. And I find some of the roads on my commute have too many holes for the road bike so I go in comfort on the hybrid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

New style jersey on Killarney Road, Bray, opposite the graveyard at 11.20 this morning. Nicer jersey than I thought when seen in the flesh, I actually thought it was a retro Campagnolo type in the distance.

Advertisement