Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing repairs, what to do?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

In our apartment there is a communal balcony, shared by maybe 6 apartments. You can walk up and down it no problem though I've never seen anyone do this.
    In one bedroom there is a kind of walkthrough door/window to step outside onto the balcony. There were three locks but all are broken and were broken when I moved in.

So this door can’t be locked and I wedged it shut as best I can. It won’t open by itself but someone with a screwdriver could open it in seconds.

I’ve rang the landlord 5 times in the last month but am getting nowhere. He's so friendly but I get the feeling he just wants to collect rent and avoid any work or hassle
    It worries me when I in work during the day, my place could be ransacked by the neighbours :eek:

I can’t wait months for the PRTB to make a decision as I need this sorted in 2-3 days max.
    My lease states I can’t make repairs and I definitely can’t bill the landlord for repairs without prior agreement. The landlord wouldn’t agree to me calling a locksmith but at the same time it’s not getting repaired.

What to do folks? I'm only here one month and I didn't spot this when I viewed the place

Edit: In my last rented flat, the landlord didn’t repair a broken door despite being asked for two months and the place got burgled so this sort of thing does worry me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write him a stern letter, setting out the facts and telling him you'll take him to the PRTB (ask for his details for this). Explain that you are entitled to security and that he is in breach of contract.

In the meantime find some way of securing the door - perhaps a piece of timber the width of the fixed panel at the top and bottom.

Are you insured? Try not to keep anything valuable there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sixpack

Victor is right - As a landlord myself (and registered with the PRTB) I find it shameful the way some landlords treat their tennents. Write the landlord a stern letter and report them to the PRTB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

For a problem of this nature I'd get the door fixed and bill the landlord for it. This is a fairly serious problem, so while I agree in principle that getting things fixed without the LL permission isn't the way to go, in this case it is.

If my apartment was flooding and the landlord was humming and hawing I wouldn't hesitate to ring a plumber to get it fixed. You're the one who has to live there, and at the moment you don't have proper security.
    Are you insured? Try not to keep anything valuable there.

If the insurer got wind of the state of the door there'd be no payout in case of burglary.

Your lease may prohibit you taking the initiative here but balls to the lease. This is peace of mind and security of your home we're talking about.

micmclo wrote: »
    I can’t wait months for the PRTB to make a decision as I need this sorted in 2-3 days max. My lease states I can’t make repairs and I definitely can’t bill the landlord for repairs without prior agreement. The landlord wouldn’t agree to me calling a locksmith but at the same time it’s not getting repaired.
    Do you know what part of the lock is broken? Are you capable of fixing it? you might be able to repalce it, using the old lock cylinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

bugler wrote: »
    For a problem of this nature I'd get the door fixed and bill the landlord for it. This is a fairly serious problem, so while I agree in principle that getting things fixed without the LL permission isn't the way to go, in this case it is.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I was going to call out a locksmith but I reckon I can fix it myself. If I can't do it, I'll call the professionals in.
    Was looking through the lease and it seems it's my responsibitly to keep locks in good order. Wtf, it was broken when I moved in :confused:
    bugler wrote: »
    If my apartment was flooding and the landlord was humming and hawing I wouldn't hesitate to ring a plumber to get it fixed. You're the one who has to live there, and at the moment you don't have proper security.
    Now there’s another story.
    My bath is leaking downstairs and stripping the wallpaper off the walls off the apartment downstairs. “Sure, I’ll call a plumber” I was told 3 weeks ago!
    It doesn’t affect me in the slightest but the owner downstairs is going mad and calling up the management company and giving out to me. It’s not my fault :(
    What a mess. If the landlord would be proactive and sorted these problems fast they’d avoid a hefty repair bill for my apartment and the one below me

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    Wtf, it was broken when I moved in :confused:
    When moving out, remove the good lock and refit the bad lock. :)

Advertisement