Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coverplan insurance - Currys - any info?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

Hi

Has anyone had any experience with the above? I cannot make heads nor tails of their terms and conditions.

I bought a laptop 6 months ago for 499 and paid 200 insurance on it for 3 years. I was told the insurance covers everything, all damage, breakdowns, accidents.

It broke twice, fault in the machine and was repaired but i was without it almost a month all told for both repairs. As far as i am concerned, it was repaired under normal warranty both times as it was only a couple of months old.

Its broken completely now (through a drop) and my claim for a replacement one has been rejected. I thought accidental damage was covered but they say its not, so what damage is covered then, deliberate?

When i purchased the insurance the staff more or less said i could bounce it off the walls!!

The staff in currys were so certain that i would get vouchers for the value, that they sold me a laptop and signed a receipt saying that they would give me cash for the vouchers when they arrived.

So, there is now nothing to be insured as the item is gone?

I'm at a loss of 700 euro and theres nothing i can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Accidental damage should be covered in that policy, as it is an insurance policy. You need to get the exact terms from your original documentation to see what it says. If it's unclear, then you could be in trouble. Have you been in contact with the insurance provider, or just with Currys?

In general those extended warranties/insurance policies, especially those from Currys/Dixons/PC World group aren't worth the paper their written on as it's near impossible to get them to honour any claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Thanks for that.

Got a letter off the claim investigator saying my claim was not consistant with the damage and they have taken pictures.

The only thing i can think of is that it was in my car in the boot for over a week after it got broken, and could have gotten a few bangs with prams, shopping etc

Been onto both currys and coverplan they wont give me a number for the guy said i have to write to him.

But i am more or less being accused of fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i would say it is supposed to be covered. in dixons a few years ago (which is the same company) they had a big ad for insurance which featured a laptop with a glass of wine spilled on it. i'll have a look around for their policy document

also have a read of this:
    http://citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland
    Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

i posted my last post before reading your reply.

so it's not that damage isn't covered, they're saying that the damage isn't consistent with your claim, which is different

i don't see how it matters tbh. the laptop is damaged and you have insurance against damage. unless it was deliberate, how the damage happened is kind of irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Got a letter off the claim investigator saying my claim was not consistant with the damage and they have taken pictures.

The only thing i can think of is that it was in my car in the boot for over a week after it got broken, and could have gotten a few bangs with prams, shopping etc

Been onto both currys and coverplan they wont give me a number for the guy said i have to write to him.

But i am more or less being accused of fraud.

A. How did you tell them it was damaged ?
    B. What is the physical damage to the laptop ?
    C. What does their report say ?

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    A. How did you tell them it was damaged ?
    B. What is the physical damage to the laptop ?
    C. What does their report say ?

I brought it back to currys to get it picked up from there so they could see the damage. The hard drive so ok i could hear it coming on but the disc tray was out and the back was off it and the screen wasnt coming on.

I told them it was dropped but i didnt mention the boot of the car as i am not sure. It was mostly cosmetic damage it was the staff at currys told me it was not fixable and it would be replaced.

I didnt see a report the manager from currys who dealt with me rang me to tell me what the letter said, i dont think it was accompanied by a report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should go back into Currys and get the report, it is your claim afterall. If they've taken pictures of the damaged laptop, and included them in the report, make sure that's consistent with the condition it was in when you gave it to Currys. It could have sustained further damage, either at the shop, or during shipping. If the shop or shipping agent damaged it, then they will be liable for replacing it.

Depending on what happens here, Small Claims would be a good option.

I brought it back to currys to get it picked up from there so they could see the damage. The hard drive so ok i could hear it coming on but the disc tray was out and the back was off it and the screen wasnt coming on.

I told them it was dropped but i didnt mention the boot of the car as i am not sure. It was mostly cosmetic damage it was the staff at currys told me it was not fixable and it would be replaced.

I didnt see a report the manager from currys who dealt with me rang me to tell me what the letter said, i dont think it was accompanied by a report.

Its possible that the report could show that it was crushed etc and not dropped, which would be consistent if there was downforce on the lid smashing the screen. In short this would be a false declaration and would be deemed as outside the coverplan policy. Same as Car insurance, i.e. i say i ran into a wall when in actual fact i flipped the car over its not covered.

Thanks.

Its just a pain in the bum having to write to the guy, then await his response.

A phonecall could clear the matter but they wont give out his number. Understandable i guess if its a rip off and hes rejecting a lot of claims as has been suggested by a simple google search!

Its possible that the report could show that it was crushed etc and not dropped, which would be consistent if there was downforce on the lid smashing the screen. In short this would be a false declaration and would be deemed as outside the coverplan policy. Same as Car insurance, i.e. i say i ran into a wall when in actual fact i flipped the car over its not covered.

I understand but it was already totalled when and if this happened, thats why it was in the boot of my car to take it back to currys, although i did dilly dally in fairness. My OH did say when he took it out i dont remember the screen being like that, although it wouldnt come on before that either.

I wonder if i have a case.

• Advertisement

I understand but it was already totalled when and if this happened, thats why it was in the boot of my car to take it back to currys, although i did dilly dally in fairness. My OH did say when he took it out i dont remember the screen being like that, although it wouldnt come on before that either.

I wonder if i have a case.

Yes, but the the declared damage may have been repairable, a smashed screen and damage base would be beyond economic repair as opposed to a damaged base only.

All the insurance crowd looks at is the statement and the inspection report, it the two don't match up then they dont pay out.

To be fair though, why did you throw it in the boot and throw a load of other stuff on top of it, I wouldn't do that with someone elses laptop let alone my own.

Yes, but the the declared damage may have been repairable, a smashed screen and damage base would be beyond economic repair as opposed to a damaged base only.

beyond economical repair doesn't really come into it when you have insurance. if it's BER, then you get a new one

All the insurance crowd looks at is the statement and the inspection report, it the two don't match up then they dont pay out.

To be fair though, why did you throw it in the boot and throw a load of other stuff on top of it, I wouldn't do that with someone elses laptop let alone my own.

Again the screen was completely black.

Well i could type in a load of excuses about OH going to currys with it and them turning us away saying get it collected from your own address and me sending him back and other stuff bout being busy so it was left in the boot but the bottom line and honest answer is - it was already broken so i didnt take further damage into consideration as it was fcuked already as far as i knew. Its just not something that crossed my mind tbh.

Advertisement