Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

318 MPG

Options
  • 03-07-2008 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi My sister is looking to buy a 318 coupe. the one she is looking at is a 2 litre petrol. Can anyone advise on the MPG of this type of car? Is it economical (for a BMW) to run? Would she be better off looking for a diesel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

What year is it and what type of driving will she be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

Its 2004 and she would probably be driving 20miles per day there or there abouts??

I meant city or non city driving but anyway, I've a 1.9 2001 318ci and I get 40.3mpg but that's probably 90% motorway/main roads... City driving would obviously mean less mpg.

Id say you'd hit 40mpg+ with smooth driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

Oh Apologies it is mainly main roads and motorways.... thanks for the info!! Would you reckon a diesel would be more economical??

• Advertisement

colorc wrote: »
    Oh Apologies it is mainly main roads and motorways.... thanks for the info!! Would you reckon a diesel would be more economical??

Yes but your going to pay extra for the privilege of covering us all with soot;). With the current cost of diesel it may be a false economy to spend the extra on a diesel car if you are not doing the mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

colorc wrote: »

not at that mileage, would need to be clocking about 20k miles or more per year

Yeah at 7300 miles a year, a diesel is unlikely to 'pay for itself'.

Advertisement