Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Advice...

Options
  • 03-07-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

I'm a total beginner to digital art and design - so i was wondering about getting some pointers on how to get started! :)

I'm a relatively new web designer, and would love to create something similar to this:

globalsidesub-bg.png

I believe this to be vector art using illustrator and/or photoshop. I've been having a look around for some tutorials to demonstrate this type of thing but haven't really had much luck so far..

Would I have to sketch this type of art and then stencil around it using the pen/path tool?

Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to address my noobish queries :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Sykth wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a total beginner to digital art and design - so i was wondering about getting some pointers on how to get started! :)

I'm a relatively new web designer, and would love to create something similar to this:

globalsidesub-bg.png

I believe this to be vector art using illustrator and/or photoshop. I've been having a look around for some tutorials to demonstrate this type of thing but haven't really had much luck so far..

Would I have to sketch this type of art and then stencil around it using the pen/path tool?

Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to address my noobish queries :)

There are many different ways you could achieve a result like that. Using Adobe Illustrator I personally would use the Pen Tool. Its something that is tricky for some people to get the hang of but most people pick it up quick enough.
    You could also use a Graphic Pen (I do this sometimes), although I would suggest getting a good brand to make it worth using over the mouse.

Take a look at Lynda.com. There are some great tutorials on there for almost anything. I'm sure they must have something for Illustration somewhere.

An illustration such as that would take a fair bit of time and can be very frustrating but as long as you enjoy doing it then you'll be fine.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Sykth

Hi peejay1986,

Thanks for the advice! I checked out lynda.com although they seem to charge for the tutorials which isn't exactly what i'm after :)

I'll definitely keep looking after more illustrator tutorials and hope I can get the basics to progress me onto the image I linked above.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Sykth wrote: »
    Hi peejay1986,

Thanks for the advice! I checked out lynda.com although they seem to charge for the tutorials which isn't exactly what i'm after :)

I'll definitely keep looking after more illustrator tutorials and hope I can get the basics to progress me onto the image I linked above.

Cheers!

If you dont want to pay then there are 'alternative methods' to get the Lynda.com tutorials....

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Lynda.com is more for learning the software itself rather than techniques. Although their tutorials are very good.

Have a look at the Computer Arts website. There are loads of step by step tutorials that might help you on the way

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/2d__and__photoshop/pixels_and_vectors

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/2d__and__photoshop/expert_colour

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/2d__and__photoshop/adding_dimension_to_your_characters

Bear in mind the image you linked to is pretty complex even for someone with a lot of experience, so best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

• Advertisement
Advertisement