Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing the harddrive

Options
  • 03-07-2008 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

want to replace the hdd on my computer with a larger one but I want to keep the OS and all the files(photo,music etc)of the old one.How difficult is this and what sort of software do i need. any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

want to replace the hdd on my computer with a larger one but I want to keep the OS and all the files(photo,music etc)of the old one.How difficult is this and what sort of software do i need. any help would be appreciated.
    Very easy. I would recommend that you get a second disk. Check if it is pata or sata disk. Pata has a wide cable like a strap 5 cm wide. Sata has a fine flat cable, usually red. If it is pata you simply install the disk and connect the necessary cables.

You then transfer your files to the new disk and leave the original for the OS. Anyone here will guide you through the process. What model computer do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

its a compaq d510.not a 100% sure but think its a sata drive(havn't checked it out yet). Are you saying that I'd have to leave the original drive for the os to work from, cos I thought I could install the OS on the new hdd and chuck the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

its a compaq d510.not a 100% sure but think its a sata drive(havn't checked it out yet). Are you saying that I'd have to leave the original drive for the os to work from, cos I thought I could install the OS on the new hdd and chuck the old one.

You can, but you have to be careful backing up all your files, drivers etc. There is usually no reason to get rid of the old drive, just add a new one. I currently have 4 hard drives in my pc, and it's time I added another one :D

This is a sata cable; sata_cable.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

There no need to dump the old disk. Your OS is up and running, complete with all the drivers. You can install the OS on the new disk but I don't see the necessity as the other one works fine.

Advertisement