Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To L or not to L

Options
  • 03-07-2008 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Sorry for another thread related to provisional licence holders / learner permit holders.

I'm wondering are all provisional licence holders / learner permit holders going to display L Plates or not.

It might be easier not too but the fines are minmium of €1000.

I have not seen any Gardai checkpoints yet but i'm assuming the younger drivers / drivers of 1 Litre cars are being targetted more.

I listening to the radio and its stating that the full licenced driver accompanying you should be insured on the vehicle also (more expensive)

I didnt know there are fake licences but there are it is also mentioned.

Please only provisional licence holders / learner permit holders post replies

BTW this thread got closed in After Hours i hope it wont be closed here

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Isn't it a fine up to/not exceeding €1,000? ie 1k is the max....?

Anyway, leave your plates up. If you fit the typical learner driver profile then chances are you'll get asked to produce your license eventually at a checkpoint, regardless of plates or not. You're really going to be up sh!t creek if you're caught without plates and only on a provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Hanley wrote: »
    Isn't it a fine up to/not exceeding €1,000? ie 1k is the max....?

From RSA

The penalty for not having L plates and for driving unaccompanied is a fine that should not exceed €1000 for a first offence.

Your car will not be impounded and there are no penalty points for either of these offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

JP Liz wrote: »
    Sorry for another thread related to provisional licence holders / learner permit holders.

I'm wondering are all provisional licence holders / learner permit holders going to display L Plates or not.

It might be easier not too but the fines are minmium of €1000.

I have not seen any Gardai checkpoints yet but i'm assuming the younger drivers / drivers of 1 Litre cars are being targetted more.

I listening to the radio and its stating that the full licenced driver accompanying you should be insured on the vehicle also (more expensive)

I didnt know there are fake licences but there are it is also mentioned.

Please only provisional licence holders / learner permit holders post replies

BTW this thread got closed in After Hours i hope it wont be closed here

If the driver is old enough (parent or whatever) they may well have open driving so will be insured to drive your car as long as it's not worth over 40k.

If you get a fake licence be aware that it is a government document and the penalties are extremely serious. Including but not limited to not being able to get a passport (another government document) for years after the offence.

JP Liz wrote: »
    From RSA

Yeah, a fine that should not exceed €1,000. Not a minimum fine of €1,000. Like you stated...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

So far no, I amn't using the plates. I'd much rather use them, to be honest, but I also don't want to be a target.

• Advertisement

Snakeblood wrote: »
    So far no, I amn't using the plates. I'd much rather use them, to be honest, but I also don't want to be a target.

How old are you?
    What car do you drive?
    Where do you live?

You may already be a target...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Yeah, a fine that should not exceed €1,000. Not a minimum fine of €1,000. Like you stated...

Does the word "should" mean that it could go over €1000 for a first offense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

How old are you?
    What car do you drive?
    Where do you live?

You may already be a target...

I'm over 30, I'm driving above a 1.4, and I live in Dublin. SPECIFICS.

I might already be, yeah. I've got the test coming up so hopefully I won't be for much longer.

Edit:
    I vacillate daily on putting the plates up, and I've no intention of doing any nonessential journey.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I'm over 30, I'm driving above a 1.4, and I live in Dublin. SPECIFICS.

I might already be, yeah. I've got the test coming up so hopefully I won't be for much longer.

You don't sound like the typical target so!!

I'm 21, driving a 1.4 and living in Dublin. I certainly wouldn't risk taking my plates down. I'd rather get pulled with them up and at least have a chance to show my test application letter and talk to that garda than be in an even worse position that there's not a hope of getting out of!
    Steve_o wrote: »
    Does the word "should" mean that it could go over €1000 for a first offense?

My basic understanding of the law is "should" = "must"

That is, it MUST NOT exceed €1,000 for a first offense. Presumably it's a discretionary thing for second and subsequent offences. But I imagine it would be higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I'd put them up, it's down to the indvidual guard if he will bring you the court and there's no checkpoints set up to target L drivers.

I'd say the Guards might hold it agianst you if they find you took them down to trying to avoid them seeing you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

My basic understanding of the law is "should" = "must"

That is, it MUST NOT exceed €1,000 for a first offense. Presumably it's a discretionary thing for second and subsequent offences. But I imagine it would be higher.

I hate the way alot of stuff like that is badly worded, I would've taken that as you get fined €1000 for the offense but maybe more if you really f*cked up... but your understanding of it sounds more probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's in the sticky.
    Q: What is the penalty if a learner driver drives unaccompanied?
    A: It is a penal offence and is punishable by a fine of a minimum of €1,000

Q: What is the penalty if a learner drives a vehicle without displaying L plates?
    A: It is a penal offence and is punishable by a minimum fine of €1,000
    Quoted from the RSA.

Thread closed. This forum does not advocate breaking the law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement