Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drink driving broad daylight

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Ok, as people do not like generalising- take whatever opinion you want from the following anecdote: I work with 13 people, 5 irish and 8 polish. Now out of the irish workers not one drink and drive, however 7 polish men do, on a regular basis. The 9th polish worker who has now returned to his homeland was involved in a small crash several months ago. The man who he crashed into simply requested minimal money to pay for the damage done and hence saving the polish man from sanction. The polish man refused and so the guards were called and he was charged with drunk driving. He returned home the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I suppose it's a more extreme version of Irish people speeding when driving in Northern Ireland and vice versa. You know you can't get points on your licence for speeding in another country. However the non-nationals should know that they'll likely be jailed for drink driving if they cause an accident..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

shockwave wrote: »
    If you are an Irish resident and you import a foreign car you have to register it within a couple of days.

But if you are a foreign resident and you come to Ireland in your car you can live and work here for a year before having to register.

Gerry Ryan had a man from the VRT office on his show during the week and this came from his mouth.

I might have heard it wrong but im sure im right.

It doesn't really happen though. I park at Millers Marsh for work and there are a few cars I'm familiar with, having been parked near them since before the Railway Square development started being built (however long ago that was), which still have their original plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

We should really do something with VRT :) nobody likes it, any strikes outside parliament building or something....

Ireland is the only one country I know that steal over 20% of value of your car... it is crazy isn't it ?

I always get mad when compare car prices in Ireland , Uk, Germany and Poland

And about everything else what was said - in every country there are some drinkers, black sheeps etc. I know different people Irish, Polish , Spanish .. and all of them take sick day from time to time - especially on Mondays...

The only thing I ask you - is - don't say that some nationalities are better - look around - how many completely drank men and women in Ireland have you seen. I can't believe that you have never seen any Irish person who drunk few beers and went to his her car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Truth be told it's far from an immigrant thing. Although in terms of drinking culture i would rank Ireland very firmly top of the league. The numbers of drink driving offences and prosecutions would probably give a fair ratio of irish versus immigrant. We're very definitely ahead :cool:
    As for drink driving then in the days of the early houses, the corner bar and the keg etc.. then all you had to do was sit on o'connel street any weekday and watch as the vans/cars/builders/an post/eircom/ESB etc... all driven by our fair countrymen in for a top up then back to work... Thats just in a city environment, leaving out all the rural drink drivers that still play the "i'm in the middle of nowhere" card and "we've been doing it for years" .
    I once drove behind a guy who had 5 kids in the back all the way from the quay out the old kilmeadon road, and when i say hammered i say well and truely, no lights, windscreen wipers on the go in dry weather all over the road hammered. I of course called the police but the melon mistook an entrance for a field for his turn or something and hit the post. Cops arrived eventually... It was christmas eve too and not even late...
    Lets face it we should address and look at our own side of the fence before we highlight the immigrants..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

We should really do something with VRT :) nobody likes it, any strikes outside parliament building or something....

I don't think anyone would disagree with you on that :)
    However, non-nationals who bring their cars to Ireland, if they've owned them for more than 6 months, don't have to pay any VRT. You just have to change the plates.

If everyone drove round with non-Irish licence plates, how would the gardai track down the owner/find out if they are insured/if they had a traffic violation recently etc?

Advertisement