Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sell or trade in a landcruiser

Options
  • 03-07-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Im thinking of changing my '07 SWB Landcruiser to a new Diesel Golf due to rising fuel costs. Was thinking of trying to sell it privately but have just looked on Carzone and there is a serious amount of Landcruisers for sale (approx 800 between 2004 & 2007), should I cut my losses and just trade it in or should I try to sell it privatley. Just wondering is there anyone in a similar situation or does anyone have some advice!!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

DougieH wrote: »
    Im thinking of changing my '07 SWB Landcruiser to a new Diesel Golf due to rising fuel costs. Was thinking of trying to sell it privately but have just looked on Carzone and there is a serious amount of Landcruisers for sale (approx 800 between 2004 & 2007), should I cut my losses and just trade it in or should I try to sell it privatley. Just wondering is there anyone in a similar situation or does anyone have some advice!!!
    Thanks

Try to sell privately first before throwing away your money to a garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

If your selling privately prepare yourself for a long wait.... people don't seem to be spending money like they use too I'm afraid:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

As posted before I was recently chatting with my friend in the car trade and he can't give away 4X4's at the moment. Nothing is selling all the way from X5's down to Tucsons. His dealership is full of them...some of them he's had on the forecourt for over 6 months. He recently told me they have stopped taking commercial 4X4's as trade-ins. This is a large multi-brand dealership in a traditional 4X4 region in Meath....I couldn't believe how slow things were until i talked to him

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

see what you'll get on a trade in first. as you said there are a lot of them on the market at the moment

bear in mind, if you're not VAT registered, or the jeep isn't on a lease, it's worth substantially less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Thanks

whats it like on fuel? avg mpg? also how often do you fill and how much does it cost to fill?

it will have lost a huge amount in value in current climate. it might be better to hold on to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Probably doesnt help that builders nearly exclusively drove landcruisers and these were probably the first assets to be liquidated.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DougieH

Its doing about 30 mpg as I do a good bit of driving for work im putting in at least €100 every week €170 some weeks plus the cost of repayments, so thats my main reason for changing, if i thought things would improve i.e diesel go down in price or the market for 4x4 improves I would hold on for another few months, but im just worried more people will start to get rid of their jeeps.

In relation to the trade in price, i have priced one VW dealer for curiosity, for a trade in against a 2.0 Lit Diesel Golf GT (List price approx €29,000) it would cost me €5,000 plus the jeep. Im thinking they're giving me about €22-23 for the jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Don't dream of selling it privately. Have a few and going no where! Was talking to a Toyota dealer and he's packed with them as well. Like wise the X5's and the Range Rover. Unless u can afford to put it in at a very competitive rate i wouldn't bother ur arse. Trade it in and move on.

Unless!
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Landcruiser/SWB-GX/1105605/
    This is €28000 privately, assuming it's the same as ur own. If u put an add up and asked for 24500 or something, take 23500 etc. and then get ur Golf on a straight deal and knock off 1000+ (don't know straight deal price on a golf). But u will benifit both ways then. But it in very cheap and "Quick sale this week or i'm trading in" etc.
    Then again if ur selling privately and it doens't move in the next few weeks ur gettin closer to the end of the year, which wouldn't leave much point in changing until 09.

Sorry for the long post, could be a bit confusing :p lol

Have u a V.A.T doc with urs??

Thanks Limerick-man for your post, my jeep would be similar to the one you posted up from carzone except i would have a bit higher mileage (50K kms) with no towing done and its not a builder/farmer jeep, I was thinking if I was to advertise I would be looking for around €28-20 K mark for it, I couldn't bring myself to sell it for €23K.

When I bought it I was advised to lease it as it means a VAT docket can be issued with it (im not reg for VAT).

Right u see there's ur problem. U put it up for "28-30" and they aren't going to buy it. Why would some1 buy urs for 30 if they can get the same thing but with less mileage for cheap.

If ur going to trade it in, ur selling it for 22-23K so what's the problem with selling it for 24K and making a potential savings of 2 grand. The point of selling it cheap is so that it will go fast(it might not, but it hugely increases ur chances).

U have to think of it this way, ur going to trade it in for 23K sell it for 24, get out of it, go in on a straight deal and bargain till the cows come home. U can try it at ur 30k for a week or so, but time is ticking closer to 09. Sell it if ur going to sell it, trade it if ur going to trade it. Don't be greedy and look for the best of both world (Underline = joke:p)

• Advertisement

Thanks again Limerick-man for your comments, I know what your saying about being greedy ...... You have given me some points to really consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

have you really thought this one out or is this a fire sale? your going from an unbreakable jeep to a golf.....those landcruisers last a life time. 30mpg aint bad. I had a golf diesel and it averaged 40mpg. Driving the big landcruiser amazon now...it doing 30mpg. yeap it kills me puttin diesel in her but i dont feel too bad when i'm paying about 30 euro more than the next guy and its pure luxury.

you'll fork out 5k for the golf....more money. I think you'll loose your boll@x trading and you'll think in a years time why did i trade for a tin box, all be it a good one.

I think your trade is false economy. you can go anywhere in the toyota, it'll never let you down, it'll haul 2 ton of bricks one day, load it up with kids the next and your safe. 30mpg...what more do you want? that 5k will turn into a 8k loss as soon as you turn the key in that golf.

Think again my friend......that guy george lee on the radio has this friggin country thinking we are all going to keel over.

Bearcat wrote: »
    have you really thought this one out or is this a fire sale? your going from an unbreakable jeep to a golf.....those landcruisers last a life time. 30mpg aint bad. I had a golf diesel and it averaged 40mpg. Driving the big landcruiser amazon now...it doing 30mpg. yeap it kills me puttin diesel in her but i dont feel too bad when i'm paying about 30 euro more than the next guy and its pure luxury.

you'll fork out 5k for the golf....more money. I think you'll loose your boll@x trading and you'll think in a years time why did i trade for a tin box, all be it a good one.

I think your trade is false economy. you can go anywhere in the toyota, it'll never let you down, it'll haul 2 ton of bricks one day, load it up with kids the next and your safe. 30mpg...what more do you want? that 5k will turn into a 8k loss as soon as you turn the key in that golf.

Think again my friend......that guy george lee on the radio has this friggin country thinking we are all going to keel over.
    Yeah your possibly right that it is a fire sale. The only reason im selling it is purely down to cost (approx €900 a mth between repayments & fuel) other than that I have no fault to find with the landcruiser, I work in an agri related job and it makes my life so much easier, had a golf before and would have kept it, only that the golf oil sumps & bad farm roadways dont mix!!!!
    I was told that the 2.0 Lit Golf GT should do about 50 mpg???? How true is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Dont trade or sell. If you've had a Golf before then you know the cars, just park the Cruiser and buy a hack. The difference then is the cost of the hack to get around and the saving by keeping the Cruiser rather than a fire sale. Rest assured that the trade ins are being valued less due to this new emission /lower road tax. You still have to buy fuel. Also if you get into an accident Id rather be in the cruiser than a golf anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yeah your possibly right that it is a fire sale. The only reason im selling it is purely down to cost (approx €900 a mth between repayments & fuel) other than that I have no fault to find with the landcruiser, I work in an agri related job and it makes my life so much easier, had a golf before and would have kept it, only that the golf oil sumps & bad farm roadways dont mix!!!!
    I was told that the 2.0 Lit Golf GT should do about 50 mpg???? How true is that?

:D Funny how agri-professionals (vets, reps etc.) only consider 2 options - a Golf/Passat 1.9TDi or a Landcruiser... Nothing else, nothing in-between:rolleyes:

The builders slump, talk of recession and rising diesel costs have conspired to totally fook values. I bought a 4x4 as a hack last year & if I had waited i'd have gotten much better value. A friend of mine is doing likewise at the moment and the world is his oyster...

I don't feel equiped to give advice - damned if u do & damned if u don't!

so in conclusion keep the cruiser.....you'll get toasted on a trade......you'll still have to pay more for the golf and the only benefit is it gives 10-15mpg better.

so in conclusion keep the cruiser.....you'll get toasted on a trade......you'll still have to pay more for the golf and the only benefit is it gives 10-15mpg better.

And they're nicer:p

And they're nicer:p

Are they really though? That's been repeated a couple of times here, one guy also claiming the LandCruiser would be much safer in a crash than the 'tin-box' that is the Golf.

NCAP results show the crash performance of 4x4s to be vastly over-rated. More to the point, a car, with lower centre of gravity etc. will AVOID an extreme situation so much better and with VASTLY reduced chance of overturning.

Before you write me up as some leftie, sandle-wearing environmentalist, I OWN a 4x4 (in addition to a car) and have driven a LandCruser on more than one occassion. I use the 4x4 for what it was designed for - off-road, business, carrying small-loads. If I could only have one I wouldn't hesitate in keeping the car.

I'm sorry, but those who say that the LandCruiser is 'more luxurious', 'safer', 'nicer' than a decent hatchback like a Golf are just plain ignorant.

Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I were the OP, i'd be looking at an ex-demo Octavia Scout rather than a Golf.

pburns wrote: »

I'm sorry, but those who say that the LandCruiser is 'more luxurious', 'safer', 'nicer' than a decent hatchback like a Golf are just plain ignorant.

oh get a grip...some of us mere mortals need a jeep to tow one day, haul bricks the next, haul 7 kids the next, go up mountains the next. We dont have the option or cash to have a green golf as well sitting in the drive.

And yes the landcruiser is a billion times more comfo than a golf.....I am not critizing the car, it is a fab motor but horses for courses and for me one cant compare a LC and Golf....they are in different leagues designed to do different things.

Getting back to the orig thread....the question was would the chap trade or sell his LC for a golf....the feedback from a few of us was he is nuts as he'll loose his wallet in the transaction and will be still paying large bucks paying off the golf.

In respect to calling forum contributors ignorant.....think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

oh get a grip...some of us mere mortals need a jeep to tow one day, haul bricks the next, haul 7 kids the next, go up mountains the next. We dont have the option or cash to have a green golf as well sitting in the drive.
    The OP is thinking about changing his Land Cruiser for a Golf. We therefore have to assume that he doesn't actually need to do anything that the Golf won't be able for. Since you brought it up though, a Golf will legally take 3 more kids than a LC commercial.;)

Who the feck needs to do all this? A cross between Bob-the-Builder, Indiana Jones and the little old woman who lives in a shoe? As the OP got by with a Golf before and reckons he can again he's pretty marginal. For some who really do do a mixture of on-road, off-road and towing I'm sure an off-roader is the best choice. But these people are reasonably few and far between I reckon.

And as Anan1 pointed out, the majority of LCs on the road are 2 seater commercials - so there's one big cornerstone of your argument blown apart.
    In respect to calling forum contributors ignorant.....think about it.

I'm sorry, but I stand by my assertation that those who say a LC is safer than a modern car are...eh..'misguided', to say the least. Look up the NCAP stats, consider the manouverability and braking distances.
    As for comfort, what about the choppier ride and compromised handling? Doesn't this take away from some of the 'comfort'. The only people I know who think a 4x4 is comfortable are those who have a bad back, are extremely tall or very fat. For most average people a car should by waaay better.

So Mr Burns you've turned what was will I trade my LC question to a slagging match between a LC and Golf. Nothing to do with the money this chap is going to loose changing cars in a depressed car market. Thats the thread....why dont you set up a new thread Golf V LC. You might end up though as the only contributor.

Getting back to the thread I still say the man will loose his b@ll@x trading for a golf which is a very good car etc etc but on the money end he'll hurt as hes now paying more for the golf which will deppreciate like a stone with the key turned. I say keep what he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

+1
    Have some friends with some serious cars & within last 2 months, a clio/astra & a mini have appeared for the weekdays & the toys kept for Sun.:cool:

So Mr Burns you've turned what was will I trade my LC question to a slagging match between a LC and Golf.

No I didn't, I just commented on some completely bogus opinions expressed in earlier posts about the safety/comfort merits of off-roaders versus cars. I think you're just sore 'cos your arguments don't stack up to logical analysis ;).
    Getting back to the thread I still say the man will loose his b@ll@x trading for a golf which is a very good car etc etc but on the money end he'll hurt as hes now paying more for the golf which will deppreciate like a stone with the key turned. I say keep what he has.

Well you're probably right but I think the tide has turned against off-roaders long-term and he'll have to make the change sometime. If he needs ground clearence for rutted roads though maybe a Quasqai/Kuga-type car would be best to change to at some point in the future rather than the ubiquitous Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Looking into my crystal ball, this is what I see, You will put it on carzone at a high price, get no inquiries, then you will drop the price and get a couple of calls but no one will call round to look at it so then you will start to wonder why everyone else can sell their car on carzone but not you, at this stage you will be so stressed out that you will take it to a dealer and give it away for a lot less than it,s worth ,just to get rid of the problem. But You wont buy a golf because the cost to change will be much higher by that time so you will probably buy a skoda or a hyundai or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

alpina wrote: »
    Have some friends with some serious cars & within last 2 months, a clio/astra & a mini have appeared for the weekdays & the toys kept for Sun.:cool:

That doesn't seem to make sense. They have to spend money buying the small runabout. Then they have to tax and insure it too. The only money they save is on the lower fuel consumption when they're driving the runabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Has the OP not heard of the Golf's legendary:rolleyes: reliability? The Toyota might be dearer to run but as noted already it will be worth so little already and it'll never let you down. One thing you can be guaranteed is that a Golf will not have the durability and hence pain free ownership experience that a Land Cruiser has.

OP: what about doing all the old tips for cutting fuel consumption; you know, slow down a small bit, keep the tyres correctly inflated, use the vehicle as little as possible, change up through the gears as early as possible but not so early that the engine labours as a result, don't shoot off when the lights go green, don't brake just before you absolutely have to stop when you can see you have to stop well out in advance, use engine braking instead of the footbrake more often(though that is very much related to the previous point) etc? You'd be amazed what a few things like that would do for frugality.

pburns wrote: »

LOl i was sayin the Golf was nicer:D

• Advertisement

Didn't have a chance until the morning to read the posts on this forum since friday.

But have decided to hold on to Cruiser until the end of the year and see what happens maybe diesel will go down in price, the whole point of putting up the post was to get peoples views and thoughts which I all took on board - but weighing up the pros and cons there are a few more pros to keeping it than selling it... .I will lose a lot of money if I sell or trade it at the moment plus it is more practical for the job, having a golf would mean savings on fuel, insurance etc but it also means abandoning on bad country lanes / passage and not being able to drive it around fields etc while the extra walking would be grt for exercise and in the process reducing my carbon footprint further, in this current summer of rain its not ideal.

Advertisement