Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

eldeabroad wrote: »
    so, can you shed any light on any of that for me Dragan? BTW we were decent, respectful, well dressed when we went out.

As already pointed out, the over 21's is discretionary and once covered in house rules is not a problem. I have turned away countless people from doors I have worked where the policy was over 21's only.

Why? Because they were the rules and I was paid to enforce them.

It is normally a better suggestion to actually find out what is legal and what is not. In the second circumstance you were wrong. Me? I would have explained to you that the "over 21's" was a house rule that the owners wished to operate under. But that’s me.

My point is that you are able to offer me two stories where you felt you were hard done by. In one, you seem to have been, in the other you were not. And yet you have allowed this to colour your view of an entire group of people who just happen to do the same job.

So tell me, who is the dickhead here? Not trying to offend you, just pointing out that your attitude will not help your situation at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Go to a different club.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

How would one become a bouncer anyway? Just ask the managment or? Please elaborate.

By the way, would anybody recommend coppers as a place to just have a laugh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Tell him your selling drugs and then offer him a bribe. That's bound to work.

I think I told a bouncer that last night actually, twas locked, still am kinda. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

The over 21 thing, that has to be on their licensing form, which should be displayed just inside the door.

Saying that, the management reserve the right of admission, so either way lol...

Having worked in nightclubs myself, the over 21 is generally there so the bouncers can say no to people they dont like the look of. Like scumbags.

Anyone know where I can find the regulations on bouncers?

• Advertisement

barnacle wrote: »
    The over 21 thing, that has to be on their licensing form, which should be displayed just inside the door.

Saying that, the management reserve the right of admission, so either way lol...

Having worked in nightclubs myself, the over 21 is generally there so the bouncers can say no to people they dont like the look of. Like scumbags.

Im a bouncer myself, its mostly based on judgement. Some just go on a power trip, not me though. You might find what you need here PSA

How would one become a bouncer anyway? Just ask the managment or? Please elaborate.

By the way, would anybody recommend coppers as a place to just have a laugh?

You need a licence from the PSA to do door work now. If you are lucky you find a door willing to send you on the course....most of them want people who already have the licence though.

My last door paid for mine, which was nice of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Im a bouncer myself, its mostly based on judgement. Some just go on a power trip, not me though. You might find what you need here PSA
    you also need a Fetac level 4.
    http://www.qualtec.ie/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1
    which you can get from FAS.

The Artist wrote: »
    yeah done that with my company, learned a fair bit out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

yeah done that with my company, learned a fair bit out of it.
    well done lad.
    youd be supprised what you learn on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I've been turned away three times total, and them three times i was following people into a club, so i was Queuing up on my own. :o (Just due to me not meeting up with the people before hand), the last time that happened, the bouncer opened the rope and told me "Step aside" before i even reached him! My mate came out and knew one of the bouncers and got me in though.

Yes it was annoying, but you have to see it from the bouncers point of view? They presume I'm someone that they turned away from a group earlier that night or I'm a weirdo :pac:

So anytime I'm going to a club, i make sure i meet up with people before hand to go in, going with big groups is a bad idea, its best to go with two other people or just you and a girl. Splitting your friends up and meeting up in there is a good idea too, bouncers get a bad impression when you turn up in a gang.

The Artist wrote: »

Easily sorted through the ISTA.

Great course.....Reg is a ledgebag in fairness.

Only had to pay 50 odd euro for that course, employers paid for most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

Dragan wrote: »
    As already pointed out, the over 21's is discretionary and once covered in house rules is not a problem. I have turned away countless people from doors I have worked where the policy was over 21's only.

It is normally a better suggestion to actually find out what is legal and what is not. In the second circumstance you were wrong. Me? I would have explained to you that the "over 21's" was a house rule that the owners wished to operate under. But that’s me.

My point is that you are able to offer me two stories where you felt you were hard done by. In one, you seem to have been, in the other you were not. And yet you have allowed this to colour your view of an entire group of people who just happen to do the same job.

So tell me, who is the dickhead here? Not trying to offend you, just pointing out that your attitude will not help your situation at all.
    barnacle wrote: »

Thanks for the responses, my opinion on bouncers is not that bad just some of them - Dragan as you work doors you would know the "bad eggs" and you seem to be a doorman I would prefer to employ if I had a club.

on the other point of house rules vs legality etc. I had just read in the newspaper 2 days before that it had just come into law.. In saying that it should be displayed visibly is most likely a part of the legislation - but that night it was not, furthurmore neither of the 2 bouncers had a clue what I was talking about - professionals..??? If the notice had been visible we would have accepted that and left it at that. As it was, there was no drama queen scene anyway. This was 7 years ago BTW so details are not very clear.

As for the dickhead comment, it was to post on topic as I had only intended to take the pizz out of the other poster.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Dragan wrote: »
    You need a licence from the PSA to do door work now. If you are lucky you find a door willing to send you on the course....most of them want people who already have the licence though.

My last door paid for mine, which was nice of them.

Thanks a lot. Stupid thank you button...

eldeabroad wrote: »
    on the other point of house rules vs legality etc. I had just read in the newspaper 2 days before that it had just come into law.. In saying that it should be displayed visibly is most likely a part of the legislation - but that night it was not, furthurmore neither of the 2 bouncers had a clue what I was talking about - professionals..??? If the notice had been visible we would have accepted that and left it at that. As it was, there was no drama queen scene anyway. This was 7 years ago BTW so details are not very clear.

As for the dickhead comment, it was to post on topic as I had only intended to take the pizz out of the other poster.....lol

The list of house rules, just like the pricing list HAS to be visible at the entrance to the establishment. If i stop you for the 21's reason i need to be able to clearly show you where it is clearly displayed.

And if you were a club owner there is no way you would hire me. The owners always dislike me. I'm as bad with them as i am with punters. Health and Safety slips don't pass me buy, nor does the max capacity or the treatment of customers by other bouncers.

I'm the worst kind of bouncer in that i stick rigidly to the rules regardless of the situation and have walked from doors in the past where i didn't like what was happening but wasn't in a situation to chance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

would anybody recommend coppers as a place to just have a laugh?

Did you hear the one about the cop who picked up a nurse girl in 'Coppers?, shagged the arse off her They made love all night, the cop was kind enough to drop her home next morning....

Passing a halting site in Finglas the nurse girl said "You can just drop me here" .. "Yea lying little bitch" said the Guard "You told me you were a nurse"...

"No" say's Rosie "I told you I was one of the Ward sisters".....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Mairt wrote: »
    Did you hear the one about the cop who picked up a nurse girl in 'Coppers?, shagged the arse off her They made love all night, the cop was kind enough to drop her home next morning....

Passing a halting site in Finglas the nurse girl said "You can just drop me here" .. "Yea lying little bitch" said the Guard "You told me you were a nurse"...

good one three big smilies :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

first I thought it was going to about the girl looking for the father of her babby, then I lolled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

whats all this about bouncers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

They suck or they're great or something.
    Who knows?

I wonder how much poetic justic will be served on us all tonight when we get refused by bouncers!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Terry wrote: »
    They suck or they're great or something.
    Who knows?

your (fu sheirfu) looking very well today terry

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tigger wrote: »
    your (fu sheirfu) looking very well today terry
    Are you stalking me?
    I'm in hiding at the moment.

Don't be freaking me out like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

Just dont get why you still go to the same place you keep getting refused from.. :cool: ..plenty of other clubs and pubs to go to and you can always as Dragan say's try the legal route :p call the old bill to have a look for there licence and the clubs code of entrance:)... good luck to those of you who turn up in track suits cause it at happening ...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The Wicker Man

I did doors in Dublin for seven years and worked with some knuckle-dragging roid heads who couldnt fill in an incident report because they couldnt bloody spell.Also worked with some guys with university degrees and great attitude.
    From a doormans perspective, I got TF out of it because the general public were getting scary (seriously),especially when the old charlie became the punters drug of choice.Even though I am an ex boxer I threw one punch in seven years and that was a response to a punch thrown at me.I used to get scared on the door but dared not show it,I think most doormen work with fear in them,but the whole machismo surrounding doors prevents them admitting it.I had bastards spit in my mouth, put smokes out in me face etc etc
    Saying that I have seven years of the maddest,most hilarious incidents that the missus and I are currently formatting into a book! Living in London now and if you think Dublin doormen can be unreasonable...you should see the flutes doing the doors here.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

I did doors in Dublin for seven years and worked with some knuckle-dragging roid heads who couldnt fill in an incident report because they couldnt bloody spell.Also worked with some guys with university degrees and great attitude.
    From a doormans perspective, I got TF out of it because the general public were getting scary (seriously),especially when the old charlie became the punters drug of choice.Even though I am an ex boxer I threw one punch in seven years and that was a response to a punch thrown at me.I used to get scared on the door but dared not show it,I think most doormen work with fear in them,but the whole machismo surrounding doors prevents them admitting it.I had bastards spit in my mouth, put smokes out in me face etc etc
    Saying that I have seven years of the maddest,most hilarious incidents that the missus and I are currently formatting into a book! Living in London now and if you think Dublin doormen can be unreasonable...you should see the flutes doing the doors here.;)
    With you on this one I work on doors and as a barman for a couple of years and i agree with you there is some knuckle dragger's out there just for the art of fighting but I have also being in some hairy situations where your out numbered out maned and hoping somebody's minding your back ...but most of the crew I worked with where gentle men and spent most of the time minding punters who couldn't mind there selfs ...sending girls to A&E because some tool slipped her a roob in her drink (thats the date rape drug) and not letting them be man handled in the toilets..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Degsy wrote: »
    Why is colour so important to you?
    • Most places where i go to, i tend to be the only black person in the room
    • People walk up to me telling me how they lover Africa:rolleyes: and how they like coloured people:eek:
    • My race is a minority in Ireland, i would always be considered as "my black friend" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

From a doormans perspective, I got TF out of it because the general public were getting scary (seriously),especially when the old charlie became the punters drug of choice.Even though I am an ex boxer I threw one punch in seven years and that was a response to a punch thrown at me.I used to get scared on the door but dared not show it,I think most doormen work with fear in them,but the whole machismo surrounding doors prevents them admitting it.I had bastards spit in my mouth, put smokes out in me face etc etc Saying that I have seven years of the maddest,most hilarious incidents that the missus and I are currently formatting into a book! Living in London now and if you think Dublin doormen can be unreasonable...you should see the flutes doing the doors here.;)

It should be a great work of fiction!.

Seriously, I've worked door's here for over 15 yrs and can honestly say that I've never heard of anything like that happen to anyone, not even close. But I've worked with some of the greatest spoofers to ever grace gods good earth.

And let me tell you, boxer or not. Even the most mild manner geek out there wouldn't stand for anyone spitting in their mouth and putting smokes out on their face.

As for the thread title 'Bouncers in Dublin', they're the same as Bouncer's anywhere else in this country - There's good & bad, some of the kindest and most caring people I've met have worked with me and some of the baddest fvckers too. Usually I don't care too much for their flaw's once they're at my side when the sh*t hits the fan, or once they don't put me in court.

But one thing I can't bare for a moment, its a spoofer or a lad who continually talks himself up. I'd send them home everytime because there's more good lads out there looking for work than there are bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

As for the thread title 'Bouncers in Dublin', they're the same as Bouncer's anywhere else in this country .

I disagree. Most of the problems I've had with them have been in Dublin. Glasgow was pretty bad (once got refused going into a bar in the late afternoon with me parents for a bite to eat when none of us had ID to show we were over 18. I was 28 and my folks were in their late 50s lol).

Actually, Cork is pretty awful once they hear you've a Dublin accent, come to think of it. But that's a generalised prejudice with all Corkonians :D

I've only had 2 real positive experiences with bouncers. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary, just simple courtesy.

The first one was when I was once in Carlow midweek and was going into some grotty looking pub at about 7pm. the dorrman said "sorry lads, you can't come in with trainers". I looked over his shoulder, and saw there was no-one in there. He saw how amazed I was that they were turning away business on a tuesday night. He just said "I'm really sorry guys, the manager is really strict, and he's have my job if I let you in. I'd let you in no bother if it was up to me". Total nice guy, so we walked th 5 mins back home and put some shoes on and went in.

Second one was in the UK, near London. Went to the only club in this small town. Were int he Q for a good while. My mate had those kinda half trainers/half shoes on. The bouncer apologised that it was house rules that he couldn't let him in without proper shoes. But we were really looking forward to this night out, and we looked really gutted. So, he asked where we were staying and we told him. He said, "look it'll cost you about 20 quid for a return taxi back to where you're staying. It's 10 quid each for you to get in. If you grab a taxi back home and throw on some shoes I'll let you in for free, and you won't be out of pocket at all". We said "great". Then he waved down a cab for us! We went home, me mate put some shoes on. The taxi dropped us back at the club. The bouncer saw us, and skipped us up the Q, straight in the door free of charge. What a great guy.

I've always reccomended those two places to any friends who are going out nearby. Nice people on the door can totally increase your business. When i meet a tool on a door I'll never go back, and as Dragan said, bad stories travel quicker than good one. That's why i'm always amazed that clubs let total monkeys run their doors.

Advertisement