Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The Wicker Man

Mairt wrote: »
    It should be a great work of fiction!.

Seriously, I've worked door's here for over 15 yrs and can honestly say that I've never heard of anything like that happen to anyone, not even close. But I've worked with some of the greatest spoofers to ever grace gods good earth.

And let me tell you, boxer or not. Even the most mild manner geek out there wouldn't stand for anyone spitting in their mouth and putting smokes out on their face.

As for the thread title 'Bouncers in Dublin', they're the same as Bouncer's anywhere else in this country - There's good & bad, some of the kindest and most caring people I've met have worked with me and some of the baddest fvckers too. Usually I don't care too much for their flaw's once they're at my side when the sh*t hits the fan, or once they don't put me in court.

But one thing I can't bare for a moment, its a spoofer or a lad who continually talks himself up. I'd send them home everytime because there's more good lads out there looking for work than there are bad.

Who says I never dealt with the guy who spit in my mouth? I DID deal with these incidents in a professional manner ie physical restraint followed by calling the Gardai.Oh sorry should I have punched him unconscious?
    As for calling it a work of fiction,because it didnt happen to you,it therefore
    couldnt possibly have happened!
    Wow! 15 years on Dublin doors,you must have seen it all mate.I humbly bow before your obvious superiority.Obviously I should be writing a book based on your time in the trenches, that would obviously be a rootin tootin rollercoaster of a ride with all the gang there,Anto,deco, rasher an the lads.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Doormen these days are a lot better and more professional then when I first started going out in Dublin 10 years ago. Honestly, bouncers back then where a lot more agressive, and far more eager to resort to violence, now I find that there's very few problems at all *touch wood*.

Maybe it's because I'm older, maybe it's the places I go to, but I think they're a lot better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Who says I never dealt with the guy who spit in my mouth? I DID deal with these incidents in a professional manner ie physical restraint followed by calling the Gardai.Oh sorry should I have punched him unconscious?
    As for calling it a work of fiction,because it didnt happen to you,it therefore
    couldnt possibly have happened!
    Wow! 15 years on Dublin doors,you must have seen it all mate.I humbly bow before your obvious superiority.Obviously I should be writing a book based on your time in the trenches, that would obviously be a rootin tootin rollercoaster of a ride with all the gang there,Anto,deco, rasher an the lads.
    :cool:

In all fairness you need to appreciate how your story comes across. At the end of the day this is the net and talk of keeping things all smiles as cigarettes are put out on your face is always going to be questionable tbh.

If someone spat in my mouth or put a burning cigarette to my face things would not go very well for them from that point on. And i am a very patient man but if any punter wants to turn things physical then it's their choice to do so and they will quickly find out why i am on the door.

Something like what you describe would very quickly have someone face down on the ground and restrained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

MIN2511 wrote: »
    • Most places where i go to, i tend to be the only black person in the room
    • People walk up to me telling me how they lover Africa:rolleyes: and how they like coloured people:eek:
    • My race is a minority in Ireland, i would always be considered as "my black friend" :)

So what though?Head to Parnell street or Tyrellstown,you'd be nothing special there;)

Dragan wrote: »
    In all fairness you need to appreciate how your story comes across. At the end of the day this is the net and talk of keeping things all smiles as cigarettes are put out on your face is always going to be questionable tbh.

If someone spat in my mouth or put a burning cigarette to my face things would not go very well for them from that point on. And i am a very patient man but if any punter wants to turn things physical then it's their choice to do so and they will quickly find out why i am on the door.

Something like what you describe would very quickly have someone face down on the ground and restrained.

A coked up w@nker tried to put a smoke out on my face and before the smoke made contact he was restrained and on the floor.Another punter spat into my mouth as I was talking to him,he also ended up on the floor,restrained.These things happen on doors as any doorman will tell you.What is so unbelievable about that?
    I seem to be a bit discredited here because of a few incidents I have described.Whats wrong lads? Is it because I mentioned being afraid on the doors? That obviously prevents me from being taken seriously.I can smell the testosterone simmering below the surface.That is ENTIRELY the reason I left the Door game.Plus the fact that too many doormen think that your competence to do the job is based on how much you can benchpress.Learn a bit of diplomacy guys.Nothing will completely disarm an awkward punter quickerthan a sharp mind and a logical argument.I am obviously pissing into the wind regards the "real doormen" on this forum,but I was just giving my two-bob worth based on my experiences.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I find it funny that someone with such a cool head would react in such a manner to some simple questions. And then of course, because i asked a question you assume it is some how "testosterone" related or i am having some kind of issue with you admittance of fear.

Only a moron wouldn't feel some kind of fear at times on a door, that is hardly an issue.

If you go back and read the wording of your post again you might see that you gave the implication that these incidents had occurred with no come back from yourself. That is what i was questioning, nothing else.

You responded the same way i would, which you clarified only after i asked my question which implies my question needed to be asked.

I would ensure early editorial involvement for your book tbh.
    A coked up w@nker tried to put a smoke out on my face and before the smoke made contact he was restrained and on the floor.Another punter spat into my mouth as I was talking to him,he also ended up on the floor,restrained.These things happen on doors as any doorman will tell you.What is so unbelievable about that?
    I seem to be a bit discredited here because of a few incidents I have described.Whats wrong lads? Is it because I mentioned being afraid on the doors? That obviously prevents me from being taken seriously.I can smell the testosterone simmering below the surface.That is ENTIRELY the reason I left the Door game.Plus the fact that too many doormen think that your competence to do the job is based on how much you can benchpress.Learn a bit of diplomacy guys.Nothing will completely disarm an awkward punter quickerthan a sharp mind and a logical argument.I am obviously pissing into the wind regards the "real doormen" on this forum,but I was just giving my two-bob worth based on my experiences.:cool:

Dragan wrote: »
    I find it funny that someone with such a cool head would react in such a manner to some simple questions. And then of course, because i asked a question you assume it is some how "testosterone" related or i am having some kind of issue with you admittance of fear.

Only a moron wouldn't feel some kind of fear at times on a door, that is hardly an issue.

If you go back and read the wording of your post again you might see that you gave the implication that these incidents had occurred with no come back from yourself. That is what i was questioning, nothing else.

You responded the same way i would, which you clarified only after i asked my question which implies my question needed to be asked.

I would ensure early editorial involvement for your book tbh.

Well thanks for your advice mate.I read my original post and eh,sorry but I cant seem to find the text where I said or even implied that I did not respond to these assaults.
    As for your statement "they would soon find out why I was on the door",I think we know why you are on the door,and of course you are a"patient man" that is an essential prerequisite to doing the job in the first place.Any way we will maybe agree to disagree and you continue with your door and I will go write my book.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Putting cigarettes out on your face and did not lose it......... I dunno, I mean its buddhist monk stuff there. What did the guy that got the one box in 7 years do??

I dont mean to sound condascending, but it sounds a bit like bollox to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Some bouncers have attitudes. Really bad attitudes. I can't say I've been stopped in about 3 years, but I used to get stopped alot cos I looked young for my age. One night a guy wouldn't let me in cos I was wearing runners, so I said fair enough.. I got a taxi home and back in after changing me shoes. Cost me nearly 20 quid in total.. I go back down and he asks for my ID, I take it out and he says "That's not you".

It's clearly my ID - I tell him it is me, and take out my driver's license just to doublely-prove it was me. He says "Nah mate, not tonight" and starts sniggering to the other bouncer with him.

I'm really pissed off at this stage and ask why he sent me home in a taxi to get shoes if he wasn't going to let me in in the first place.. He just said "That's not my problem." I asked to speak to the manager and he told me to "F*ck home out of it."

I have to add that all the time up until this whole incident - I was completely courteous and hadn't even started drinking yet.

It's bouncers acting like this that generate threads like these. I've met a few bouncers like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dlofnep wrote: »
    Some bouncers have attitudes. Really bad attitudes. I can't say I've been stopped in about 3 years, but I used to get stopped alot cos I looked young for my age. One night a guy wouldn't let me in cos I was wearing runners, so I said fair enough.. I got a taxi home and back in after changing me shoes. Cost me nearly 20 quid in total.. I go back down and he asks for my ID, I take it out and he says "That's not you".

It's clearly my ID - I tell him it is me, and take out my driver's license just to doublely-prove it was me. He says "Nah mate, not tonight" and starts sniggering to the other bouncer with him.

I'm really pissed off at this stage and ask why he sent me home in a taxi to get shoes if he wasn't going to let me in in the first place.. He just said "That's not my problem." I asked to speak to the manager and he told me to "F*ck home out of it."

I have to add that all the time up until this whole incident - I was completely courteous and hadn't even started drinking yet.

It's bouncers acting like this that generate threads like these. I've met a few bouncers like this.

And you know what.

Your's is possibly the most reasoned and believable story in the whole thread.

No bullSh*, no bravado or attitude - good post.

And your's is why I detest going to a premises with doorstaff, unless I know the lads. Because I just can't be arsed wasting my time with idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

One thing I've noticed is how much less intimidating bouncers have become. Not that I would but if I wanted to kick off I know I would probably take a few of them with me and I would hazard a quess scumbags would be thinking the same maybe thats why we see much more violence in clubs now than a few years ago when you knew that if you ****ed up a big roid head scumbag bouncer would kick lumps out of you.

Bouncers need to be tough because it deters troublemakers and at the end of the day I don't think troublemakers are deterred by today's bouncers who will simply kick you out if you step out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

MIN2511 wrote: »
    • Most places where i go to, i tend to be the only black person in the room
    • People walk up to me telling me how they lover Africa:rolleyes: and how they like coloured people:eek:
    • My race is a minority in Ireland, i would always be considered as "my black friend" :)

Come be my black friend. I swear we will get even drunker then Boris Yeltsin on a bender in Moscow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

Its like handbags at dawn here lads ... he said she said ..would of could have should have... I have to say door work is hard work theres alot of Wan***rs out there :rolleyes: on both sides ..joe public and joe doorman.......about time they regulated it but its up to you weather you do something about it at the time instead of huffing and puffing about it make a stand :cool:

riff-raff wrote: »
    about time they regulated it

Why, do you think its improved things?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

It removes the accidental hero who is out their to prove them selfs to their mates that there one of the boys who can hold there own in a fight.. normally at the door where they can flex their muscle and intimidate sheepish punters who are out for a good time ...It also provides a more professional attitude to the job both by door staff ,club owners and punters alike ...

It removes the accidental hero who is out their to prove them selfs to their mates that there one of the boys who can hold there own in a fight.. normally at the door where they can flex their muscle and intimidate sheepish punters who are out for a good time ...It also provides a more professional attitude to the job both by door staff ,club owners and punters alike ...

No. it hasn't done either.

If it had even addressed those issues to a small degree we wouldn't be having this discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

normally at the door where they can flex their muscle
    Sorry there what make you think muscles got to do with doormen?
    they dont show them for a start.
    you dont neccesary need muscles for the job,it purely training comes with the job.
    Ive been with smaller bouncers and i tell you one thing they are worse.

The Artist wrote: »
    you dont neccesary need muscles for the job,it purely training comes with the job.

Some of the most agressive people i know are small in stature..they have what's known as a Runt Complex.

The point is you can tell when a doorman is big and it deters you. If I'm a scumbag and see two average sized fellas standing at the door or if I see 2 complete and utter monsters which lads do you think I would be more likely to try start trouble with? I've seen it happen countless times the smaller bouncers aren't taking seriously and generally its not until a bigger lad comes over that they will actually get the messege and **** off

The point is you can tell when a doorman is big and it deters you. If I'm a scumbag and see two average sized fellas standing at the door or if I see 2 complete and utter monsters which lads do you think I would be more likely to try start trouble with
    None of them imo.
    why start trouble with the doormen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Come be my black friend. I swear we will get even drunker then Boris Yeltsin on a bender in Moscow.
    Sounds like a plan my friend :)

None of them imo.
    why start trouble with the doormen?

Because they are scumbags I mean do you honestly think they will ask themselves that question and then politely leave?

The fact is if you have big brutes on the door it deters the scum from causing trouble.

Because they are scumbags I mean do you honestly think they will ask themselves that question and then politely leave?

The fact is if you have big brutes on the door it deters the scum from causing trouble.

No you should have average sized brutes on the door who are good at reasoning with people.The big brutes,the fighters are inside the club keeping an eye out for trouble and are ready to come to the door and fight at a momnets notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

+1 Degsy, you need the big feckers inside for when some tosser decides to glass someone.

had a good night tonight.
    A few small arguements as the price went up tonight by €2 from €12.
    stupid kids didnt want to pay the extra €2 so we told them to move on.
    But they came back and wanted to have a deal as they didn't know of the price increase.
    We let them in at a €1 extra and their first pint free for the sake of it.
    they were all good as gold:D

had a good night tonight.
    A few small arguements as the price went up tonight by €2 from €12.
    stupid kids didnt want to pay the extra €2 so we told them to move on.
    But they came back and wanted to have a deal as they didn't know of the price increase.
    We let them in at a €1 extra and their first pint free for the sake of it.
    they were all good as gold:D

What th fukc are you talking about?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've generally had good relations with bouncers. My mate got in a particularly bad situation with another girl at a bar last week and the bouncer dealt with everything very quick and professionally.
    On a bad note my mate was refused entry to a bar on Thursday because the bouncer didn't believe it was her in the ID. We've been there most weeks this summer, never usually have a problem! People at 18 tend to look a bit different to when they were 14.....
    Although maybe they aren't the smartest people, one tried to tell me my picture wasn't me as the eyes were a different colour.....the picture is black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Leonadis

Its nothing personal, I dont get why people get so bent out of shape about being shot down from a club. Its not like theres a shortage of venues in this country... if its a recurring problem perhaps you dress like a scrote??? Maybe your personal hygene is lacking??? or perhaps your in the unfortunate situation where the last twenty punters have been lads.. and you are too so they want more of the opposite sex in the place.

One thing I've noticed is how much less intimidating bouncers have become. Not that I would but if I wanted to kick off I know I would probably take a few of them with me and I would hazard a quess scumbags would be thinking the same maybe thats why we see much more violence in clubs now than a few years ago when you knew that if you ****ed up a big roid head scumbag bouncer would kick lumps out of you.

Bouncers need to be tough because it deters troublemakers and at the end of the day I don't think troublemakers are deterred by today's bouncers who will simply kick you out if you step out of line.

A few things changed in the job over the last 10 yrs (or more).

When the wages for the Defence Forces and the Garda Siochana were pretty poor in comparision to the rest of the country a lot of the lads looked for a 'nixer' to supplement their poor incomes (yes even cops had it hard for awhile).

So what you got on 'the door was a lot of fit, strong and tough young men from these two jobs who were in it for the money and didn't care what kind of venue they worked - good or bad - it was all ok because the money was there.

These days you've got a lot of East Europeans working the door, which IMO is a bad thing. It winds people up to be turned away by them, and while there can be scant checks on Irish people doing the job there's absolutely no vetting on the foreign lads working here, and when they go over board in a row they simply disappear below the radar and are gone.

Regulating the industry only made it easier for the revenue commissioners to get their hands on people's earnings and nothing else.

• Advertisement

Leonadis wrote: »
    perhaps your in the unfortunate situation where the last twenty punters have been lads.. and you are too so they want more of the opposite sex in the place.

Thats a myth.

I've never, ever NEVER come accross that policy.

Advertisement