Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Payton

Ive worked as a "Bouncer" for 7 yrs in Dublin, and it's not an easy job, why do some people think they can get in to a club or bar with their sister or brothers ID. Even the fake ones are crap, a lot of Doormen have too much experance to fall for that trick. All the guys I worked with always dealt with people on a one by one basis, and took them at face value (no pun)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've rarely ever had hassle with a bouncer, but then again that's because I don't look like a knacker and I'm smart enough not to give them trouble first.

I've had a few failures to communicate....particularly with Lady bouncers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Dublins a lovely big city, if you're given grief by a doorman- and you're perfectly fine (not a drunken mess, looking alright and all the rest) just go somewhere else. Your mates will more than likely do the same in the event one of you is turned down, and do you even want to go in after being told no without a valid reason?

I'd agree with what you say, the only problem is say on a college night out, where everyone is just meeting up inside and everyone is travelling in from different parts of the city. A load of your buddies have paid in, and when you go to get in, you're turned away. Everyone else has paid in and you're screwed.

Also on birthdays, same kind of idea. Even if you're all drinking in the pub or house together beforehand, you sort of have to split up into smaller groups to get in to places (as bouncers seem to have an issue with letting large groups in), so the first 2 or 3 small groups may get in fine, but the last lot are left outside and the night out gets messed up.

Otherwise I agree, just take your money elsewhere. It just makes it hard to plan a night out because you have to worry about everyone getting in, and inevitably there's always one who'll have hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Payton

We are one of the only countries in the EU that dont have a national ID card, and it would make life a lot easier for both parties. As for parties with some large groups, if you talk to the doorman and explain that there will be a large group comming in to celebrate there shouldnt be a problem, what we did was let the person who is first there to ring around a few and spread the word to have ID and be ressonably sober, not falling around, we found this worked about 90% of the time.
    But aas you have seen what starts of as a good night can be ruined by people arriving too drunk and/or no ID and there has been the occassion where the person being refused was a brother or sister of the person who's party it is.
    As always preperation is everything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I've had a few failures to communicate....particularly with Lady bouncers.

Ohhhh, I think we'd communicate ok if you ever came across me on a door MB.

Although I don't do doorwork anymore :(

Mairt wrote: »
    Ohhhh, I think we'd communicate ok if you ever came across me on a door MB.

Although I don't do doorwork anymore :(

It isn't an good thing when too immovable forces meet.
    I'm glad your not on the door more.

Well fighting Judo is like two immovable forces meeting, there'll only ever be one winner. But the loser will thank the victor for the lessons learned ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

I'm glad your not on the door more.
    Are you pretty stocky cause I know some bars won't let you in if you look lke you could kick the bouncers ass. A friend from work is a bouncer and there are 2 or 3 clubs that won't let him in.

Or maybe it's some Gangsta club and you have to be known to get in, just in case someone gets shot and they need a room full of "I saw nothing" . Prob best just going somewhere else.

Most Bouncers are pretty resonable though, although I look really young and sometimes they give me hassle even when I produce my i.d

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Are you pretty stocky cause I know some bars won't let you in if you look lke you could kick the bouncers ass. A friend from work is a bouncer and there are 2 or 3 clubs that won't let him in.

I'm positive Mairt would kick my arse from here to the far end of next week. In an ultimate boards match.

I am stocky for a woman and that was the troublesome lady bouncers problem. They wanted some rough and tumble.

I have a low threshold for keeping an opinion to myself, and I don't like it when bad bouncers try to take advante of people.
    That has gotten me barred from places....but never hit.

• Advertisement

I'm positive Mairt would kick my arse from here to the far end of next week. In an ultimate boards match.

I am stocky for a woman and that was the troublesome lady bouncers problem. They wanted some rough and tumble.

I have a low threshold for keeping an opinion to myself, and I don't like it when bad bouncers try to take advante of people.
    That has gotten me barred from places....but never hit.
    Yeah abuse of power is likely to piss me right off also.

I'm positive Mairt would kick my arse from here to the far end of next week.

Mairt would kick most people's arse from here to the end of next week, but I'm fairly selective on whose arse I hit :P

Hehe, is it a lady or male bouncer you are havin trouble with

Just read your profile, bouncers can sense martial arts experts, maybe they just know you will take em down

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Just read your profile, bouncers can sense martial arts experts, maybe they just know you will take em down

Mairt is in the security business. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

ronnieboy wrote: »
    i used to be a bouncer and if your on the ball you spot the blokes who look like you can wind up and thats part of the job. me and the other lads would see who could make grow men cry it was fun. never violent though cheers

I saw a bouncer get the sh!t kicked out of him a couple of years ago at one establishment for this exact thing. All the other bouncer could do was call the guards. Strangely enough the guy at the front of the queue they decided to get thick with did not look all that strong - it was a very violent incident in which the bouncer got seriously hurt and apparently had to be taken away in an ambulance. Its not a clever thing to do because one day you will inevitably pick on the wrong person.

Also what if you happen to pick on someone who might be a gang member or something? Some of them dont think twice about spraying bullets into a pub.

Mairt is in the security business. :D
    Ah well then lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

I manage a nightclub in Dublin city. If you’re getting refused, there is a perfectly good reason... No power trips! Just you and how you look and act approaching the premises.

Right of Admission Refused - FOR PERFECTLY GOOD REASONS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

dublin forum tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Elem was that a sarcastic post? I hope so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I think the 'Bouncers are assholes' is a pretty easy bandwagon go jump on.

Sure, some can be on power trips but honestly, how many times have you gone out and there not been a problem at all. If you drove a different car every week for a year and only one or two broke down, you wouldn't be on here ranting that all cars break down and are useless.

As for bouncers asking you questions, big deal. Its merely to gauge how you are going to act when in the club. At the end of the day, Bouncers have to look out for the safety of those inside and themselves. They have a small window of opportunity to determine if someone is going to be a nuisance or not and I'd rather they made the mistake in refusing entry to a passive person than granting entry to a psycho.

I have been refused in the past and admitedly it has been annoying but there are plenty of other places to choose from. If you're getting refused from every establishment, then clearly something is wrong with your attitude/attire etc.

I've also had very reasonable bouncers who were a bit of craic. Left a club to run over to the atm and bought one of those breakfast bars while in the shop. I was still chewing the bar as I approached the bouncer on my return and he imitated this. I copped what he was doing, smiled and said "I've not taken ecstasy, just finishing off a special K bar" to which he laughed, made a smart comment and waved me in.

Last but not least, to those people who give back cheek/shout abuse at the bouncers when refused entry - The bouncers were spot on not to allow you in. If you would be that abusive to a bunch of big lads, who knows what you're capable of inside the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

on a rare night out in dub... we get:

i.d please (grumpy attitude)
    date of birth please (grumpy attitude)
    oh your from kilkenny.... (attitude completely changes)

they get really nice and open doors! has happened several times!

so the solution... pretend your fom kilkenny....

Elem wrote: »
    I manage a nightclub in Dublin city. If you’re getting refused, there is a perfectly good reason... No power trips! Just you and how you look and act approaching the premises.

Absolute and utter bollox.

Unfortunetely I've worked with more bad bouncers (read wanker's on a power trip) than good guys over the years, it happens - it shouldn't but it does.

And usually where you find bad doorstaff on a power trip they're working under an equally bad management (usually on a power trip too).

I doubt your managing a nightclub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Elem wrote: »

Ah **** off with yourself! Biggest load of bollocks I've read in a while.

If someone has caused problems in the past: fine
    to just assume someone is an asshole by looking at them: power trip.

so piss off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Mairt wrote: »
    Absolute and utter bollox.

Unfortunetely I've worked with more bad bouncers (read wanker's on a power trip) than good guys over the years, it happens - it shouldn't but it does.

And usually where you find bad doorstaff on a power trip they're working under an equally bad management (usually on a power trip too).

I doubt your managing a nightclub.

I'm fresh out of thanks so +1 to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

JUst read through this, never going to be a winner here.
    Mairt and dragan are what i would hope to meet everywhere.
    I worked for a year at this game 10 years ago, as someone said when gardai used the industry for pocket money.
    It's a hard difficult job, i did it to get my house deposit and gave it up promptly then.
    In that time i met some gentlemen, mostly, and insisted on removal of a few, in one case i was told to go! despite other party's love of a row for no real reason!

When you are approaching a door people try and realise that it is your safety inside being determined by the door policy.

To ye current doormen, firstly stay safe! but secondly why is there no move to put a sound and vision headset on the pointman/woman recording all said and done at the door? Would protect you, and the club.
    I've often wondered why the Gardai don't employ them, probably some legislation out there rendering the footage inadmissable.....

We know the clubs are cheapskates generally when it comes to this but surely the regulatory body should be more interested in this than being revenue's hired help?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Never had any problems with bouncers, stop looking like scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I have problems with bouncers quite regurlarly but only because I'm underage. Have a decent fake ID that gets me in most places but there's always a few where it won't work.

Went up to a club in Temple Bar not so long ago and tried using my friend's (real) provisional driver's license to get in. Bouncer took it, looked at it, then asked me my address. I was drunk and couldn't for the life of me remember my friend's address so I tried giving some bullsh*t excuse which didn't work, so he took the licence off me. I've no problem with him refusing me cos obviously it wasn't my ID, and I would've been on my way, but to take a real driver's licence from me that wasn't even mine was a bit much IMO. Luckily he was just holding it down by his side so I somehow managed to grab it from him and run the f*ck away. Otherwise I would've had one very pissed off friend.

On the other hand there'd be places in Dublin where I can just stroll in without the bouncer even looking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

joeclif wrote: »
    JUst read through this, never going to be a winner here.
    Mairt and dragan are what i would hope to meet everywhere.
    I worked for a year at this game 10 years ago, as someone said when gardai used the industry for pocket money.
    It's a hard difficult job, i did it to get my house deposit and gave it up promptly then.
    In that time i met some gentlemen, mostly, and insisted on removal of a few, in one case i was told to go! despite other party's love of a row for no real reason!

When you are approaching a door people try and realise that it is your safety inside being determined by the door policy.

To ye current doormen, firstly stay safe! but secondly why is there no move to put a sound and vision headset on the pointman/woman recording all said and done at the door? Would protect you, and the club.
    I've often wondered why the Gardai don't employ them, probably some legislation out there rendering the footage inadmissable.....

We know the clubs are cheapskates generally when it comes to this but surely the regulatory body should be more interested in this than being revenue's hired help?

There is cameras (with sound) at the door in every pub or club that I have ever worked in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Jello wrote: »
    I have problems with bouncers quite regurlarly but only because I'm underage. Have a decent fake ID that gets me in most places but there's always a few where it won't work.

Went up to a club in Temple Bar not so long ago and tried using my friend's (real) provisional driver's license to get in. Bouncer took it, looked at it, then asked me my address. I was drunk and couldn't for the life of me remember my friend's address so I tried giving some bullsh*t excuse which didn't work, so he took the licence off me. I've no problem with him refusing me cos obviously it wasn't my ID, and I would've been on my way, but to take a real driver's licence from me that wasn't even mine was a bit much IMO. Luckily he was just holding it down by his side so I somehow managed to grab it from him and run the f*ck away. Otherwise I would've had one very pissed off friend.

On the other hand there'd be places in Dublin where I can just stroll in without the bouncer even looking me.

For all he knew you nicked the thing. More often than not he was going to give it to the next guard who passed so the owner could collect it from the station and get a dressing down for loaning their ID to someone who was underage. I have done it more times than I can count (And I can count to at least 4)

Advertisement