Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Wagon wrote: »
    Ah **** off with yourself! Biggest load of bollocks I've read in a while.

If someone has caused problems in the past: fine
    to just assume someone is an asshole by looking at them: power trip.

so piss off.

You have to have a good judge of character to be a decent doorman. Now, there won't always be good calls, doormen are human too so they make mistakes. I wouldn’t call it a power trip. We need money, customers supply the money, but we won't take just anyone. If your well behaved, dressed properly and have a nice tone in your voice, there is no reason why you shouldn’t get in. Break any of the above and more than likely you won’t gain entry. We don't want trouble on our premises, or do we want people with that attitude on our premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Elem wrote: »
    You’re exactly the type of guy that gets refused from nightclubs, because you’re an idiot.

So, you are telling me that in all your time "Managing a night club in Dublin" that you never met a bad bouncer? That is what he is calling you on. And I will call you on the same. I worked the door for years, and I can tell you straight out that I worked with some major power trippers. You are gonna get them anywhere you go. A good bouncer does it the way you suggest, but we are not all good at what we do.

It was always a difficult game to be involved in. On one hand I worked with the greatest most loyal and most trustworthy people I ever worked with. I worked with guys that could spot someone who looked like they would cause trouble from half way down the street. I worked with people who would remember one face that caused trouble out of the hundreds of thousands that passed since they had last been in. But I also worked with assholes. I worked with people who spent more time chatting up girls than doing their jobs. I worked with people who were more interested than being a tough man and having a fight than protecting the interests of the nightclub that employed them and I worked with people who stopped people on the door just because they could.

Both sides are out there, and no matter where you go you will always find them. Put people in a position of authority, and it's going to go to some of their heads. Everyone says that they try and weed out bouncers like that, but I have yet to work at a door without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

90% of the doorstaff i've met are ***holes, im not going to disagree with that. Your 100% correct in saying that.

We have between 10-12 door staff on a Saturday night, 10-11 of them are ***holes. Three of them are on the front door. One of them which we call our 'head' doorman which I’m sure your fully aware of this position is the one who greets/accepts/refuses the customers, he's not at all an asshole. And if i ever caught him being rude to customers for no reason i would sack him on the spot. Another thing you have to understand is, I can’t speak for all nightclubs.. This is only from my experience in the trade, now I’ve been around this game for a while, I've worked in 3 of the city’s biggest nightclubs, and on a rare occasion have i experienced people who look suitable for our club refused. I know it does happen, but it happens for a 'reason'.

And on another point, i'd say you'll see alot less people getting refused over the next couple of months.. business is bad at the moment. That's why im sitting in the office posting on boards while i should be upstairs working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

enough of the personal abuse elem. do it again and it'll be a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

My mate was refused entry to <snip> (don't mind naming and shaming)(I do. - Terry) off Grafton St on Thursday night. Now he said he was pretty drunk so he didn't mind that, he was bursting for a pee though and thought he'd chance his arm of asking the bouncers would it be ok and he'd come back out again. Their answer? Throwing him onto the ground. My mate was so humiliated, He said he called 2 nearby guards over, but they just laughed at him and told him to come back to them in the morning. Hmmm, assault, soooo funny.

Unfortunately, my mate didn't get the ID number of the bouncer (he didn't know you're in your rights to ask them for that), and he said there's no point going back to the management/guards cos he'd probably be fobbed off.

It makes me soooo mad though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

ozzyoh wrote: »
    Now he said he was pretty drunk so he didn't mind that, he was bursting for a pee though and thought he'd chance his arm of asking the bouncers would it be ok and he'd come back out again. Their answer? Throwing him onto the ground. My mate was so humiliated, He said he called 2 nearby guards over, but they just laughed at him and told him to come back to them in the morning. Hmmm, assault, soooo funny.

I'd question that story to be honest ozzy.

I've been to that bar numerous times and the bouncers have always been pleasant. I really could not imagine any bouncer throwing someone to the ground and risking a lawsuit simply because they asked politely to use the toilet.

Are you sure your friend is giving you the full story?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

I think so! He did say he was pretty hammered and stuff, but he remembers it, and he said he deffo didn't give them any grief, he just asked would it be ok to go to to the toilet, and that's when one of them threw him to the ground! I wish I'd been there to see it as a witness, but I can only go on what my mate said, I did ask him was he sure he didn't just fall! But he's adamant the bouncer pushed him, so... if it's all 100% true, it's a sad state of affairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Yup agree completly, it is a sad state of affairs assuming it's all true.

However, I'd say there is definitly more to this story than your friend is letting on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Elem wrote: »
    90% of the doorstaff i've met are ***holes, im not going to disagree with that. Your 100% correct in saying that.

We have between 10-12 door staff on a Saturday night, 10-11 of them are ***holes. Three of them are on the front door. One of them which we call our 'head' doorman which I’m sure your fully aware of this position is the one who greets/accepts/refuses the customers, he's not at all an asshole. And if i ever caught him being rude to customers for no reason i would sack him on the spot. Another thing you have to understand is, I can’t speak for all nightclubs.. This is only from my experience in the trade, now I’ve been around this game for a while, I've worked in 3 of the city’s biggest nightclubs, and on a rare occasion have i experienced people who look suitable for our club refused. I know it does happen, but it happens for a 'reason'.

And on another point, i'd say you'll see alot less people getting refused over the next couple of months.. business is bad at the moment. That's why im sitting in the office posting on boards while i should be upstairs working.

Now you are making a bit more sense and making you believe me. Out of interest, why do you consider the doormen you have working for you to be assholes? And why even employ them? I know it's tough to find a good doorman, and even harder to find a good full crew but they are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Payton

My mate was refused entry to <snip> (don't mind naming and shaming)(I do. - Terry) off Grafton St on Thursday night. Now he said he was pretty drunk so he didn't mind that, he was bursting for a pee though and thought he'd chance his arm of asking the bouncers would it be ok and he'd come back out again. Their answer? Throwing him onto the ground. My mate was so humiliated, He said he called 2 nearby guards over, but they just laughed at him and told him to come back to them in the morning. Hmmm, assault, soooo funny.

Unfortunately, my mate didn't get the ID number of the bouncer (he didn't know you're in your rights to ask them for that), and he said there's no point going back to the management/guards cos he'd probably be fobbed off.

Go to the gardai and make a complaint, then go to the bar and make a formal complaint. The bar should have camera's on the front door and possibly have a microphone aswell so your incident should be recorded. The doorman who assaulted your friend should have his name signed in to the "Fire Registar" within the bar, Just point him out on camera and the gaurds should be able to take it from there. Doormen like this give the rest of the other guys bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Payton

PS Tell your friend to go back to the bar and have a look for the guy, get someone to approch the guy and have a look at his ID number then check it against the following registar to find his name.

http://www.psa.gov.ie/psa/psa.nsf/66E059A436CBECB4802573F6005686EE/$File/Register%20of%20Licence%20Holders%20070808.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I think so! He did say he was pretty hammered and stuff, but he remembers it, and he said he deffo didn't give them any grief, he just asked would it be ok to go to to the toilet, and that's when one of them threw him to the ground! I wish I'd been there to see it as a witness, but I can only go on what my mate said, I did ask him was he sure he didn't just fall! But he's adamant the bouncer pushed him, so... if it's all 100% true, it's a sad state of affairs...

A push and a throw are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

The story sounds to me a bit doubtful, even the guards walking away ...considering your friend was p**sed ...the standard with doormen is don't let anybody in, if their to drunk
    the question is did he fall or was he pushed*******

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

I’m resurrecting this thread. I don’t know if it is just me but on a couple of recent rare nights out in Dublin city centre I have noticed a more aggressive approach from bouncers.

It is nowhere near the problems of 20 years ago when bouncers were a law onto themselves and people got taken into back rooms for a beating or as I saw in Belfast one night two bouncers threw a man to the ground outside the front door of a club and kicked him in the head and body repeatedly.

As has been documented some doors in Dublin were run as part of extortion rackets. I don’t know if this is still the case. I have noticed that non-nationals are running the door in some places which suggest things are legitimate.

I’m in my late thirties and on occasion go to a club. At my age I don’t drink to excess and am certainly not looking for trouble. In saying this on two occasions a bouncer has made me feel uncomfortable although no incident took place. I think a lot of bouncers know the rules. Some, however, feel the need to impress on punters their position of power.

I think I can see standards declining – is this so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

If you are going to bring this thread back to life atleast say what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

Ah I see this is still running ...I had a run in not so long ago with a memeber of the door staff... refused me on some idiototic excuss ..so ask for the olde I.D. refused that one because had no boys in blue with me ..but I'd say there was quiet a few in that club ..sent on an email to the regulator with a poor response which basically told me there is nothing you can really do ......
    so much for regulation.....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ha, a regulator for this? Rubbish...

Nothing you can really do but ask for a manager, if you are pissed there's no chance, come back during the day and talk to one of the bar managers...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Clubs are utter ****e, why waste your time with em?
    Just find a late bar and enjoy it

Bill Hicks sums up my attitude to clubs perfectly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlMtY8BXhaA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭ronaldoshaky

I stopped going to clubs. I prefer the cinema or restaurant. Something unwholesome about slapper faced jacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've never been refused entry by a bouncer to a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

In a certain late opening club on Harcourt St;
    this fat ginger troll walks up to me on the dancefloor and rips the buttons out of my shirt and thinks it is funny, so I start asking her why she did it and she knees me in the balls. Bouncer standing there in front of this and I say it to him showing him the two buttons that I picked off the floor.
    He tells me to go away and leave her alone.

There is a serious problem where bouncers will assume its the male that has been acting the bollocks, there are a lot of girls who will slap/bite/punch/throw drinks and not get thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

ustari wrote: »
    In a certain late opening club on Harcourt St;
    this fat ginger troll walks up to me on the dancefloor and rips the buttons out of my shirt and thinks it is funny, so I start asking her why she did it and she knees me in the balls. Bouncer standing there in front of this and I say it to him showing him the two buttons that I picked off the floor.
    He tells me to go away and leave her alone.

There is a serious problem where bouncers will assume its the male that has been acting the bollocks, there are a lot of girls who will slap/bite/punch/throw drinks and not get thrown out.
    And then find themselves being left in a skip, after being unconcious :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

right... alot of old posts coming back these days ey?

Anyhow, I was once refused entry into a club, was told "Regulars Only"... asked the bouncer why he was checking ID's if they were regulars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Pharrell wrote: »
    Anyone ever have a problem getting in a club, I have tried a few times and been stopped by the same bouncer every time even when all the others bouncers are letting me in, He keeps saying not tonight, regulars only and private party ****. I don’t try anymore because of this fella.

I never have any problems getting into other clubs & bars I try except this place

Any ideas?

is it something to do with your appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Had an experience in a venue/club on the bottom of Leeson St. a few months back.
    Was playing a gig and some mates of mine came along.
    Now they were drunk and messing about, so a bouncer came over to throw them out.
    They did the usual pleading to stay since they weren't interfering with anyone etc, but they probably did deserve to be kicked out.
    Since I had just played a gig, I wasn't drinking and was completely sober at the time so this is all completely accurate.

The bouncer got angry and aggresive and started to shove my mate. He started asking the bouncer why he was getting physical all of a sudden cause there was no need. The guys weren't shouting or arguing, they were talking normally to the guy.
    When he continued to push and shove, one of my friends requested to see an ID since you need to be registered in order to lay hands on someone.

Once the issue of the bouncer's ID came up, cue my mates getting put into choke-holds and dragged outside by their throats, still without any kind of resistance or fight.
    Even after they were taken outside, bouncers refused to show any kind of ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

BizzyC wrote: »
    Had an experience in a venue/club on the bottom of Leeson St. a few months back.
    Now they were drunk and messing about, so a bouncer came over to throw them out.
    They did the usual pleading to stay since they weren't interfering with anyone etc, but they probably did deserve to be kicked out.
    Since I had just played a gig, I wasn't drinking and was completely sober at the time so this is all completely accurate.

The bouncer got angry and aggresive and started to shove my mate. He started asking the bouncer why he was getting physical all of a sudden cause there was no need. The guys weren't shouting or arguing, they were talking normally to the guy.
    When he continued to push and shove, one of my friends requested to see an ID since you need to be registered in order to lay hands on someone.

Once the issue of the bouncer's ID came up, cue my mates getting put into choke-holds and dragged outside by their throats, still without any kind of resistance or fight.

I would have fought back lol

Go to the guards ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

drdeadlift wrote: »
    I would have fought back lol

Would you really? Drunk, outnumbered? Sure you would ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

BizzyC wrote: »

You know I was going to say call the guards.....but the odds of them actually showing up for something like this....

Your mate shouldve reported it to the station next day thou. Make an issue of it. You were sober witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Hope I'm not wrecking anyone's heads by reanimating an old post, but here it goes...

As much as I do appreciate that there is quite a large amount of dickhead doormen out there, they're luckily starting to die out. Nowadays the management and agencies who hire doormen are usually worried about the reputation of the club and don't allow for that kind of **** to go on.

However, one thing that must be said is that very frequently we get assholes who cause trouble, refuse to cooperate, or just behave like obnoxious, spoilt prats. When refused entry, asked to leave, or ejected on reasonable grounds, you're always going to get people claiming, and genuinely believing, that they're completely and utterly without fault.

As a nightclub doorman, I'm routinely accused of being "on a power trip" when a disorderly patron doesn't agree with a decision I make, or I enforce an order from the management. It's an easy accusation to make, and people in those situations need a target at which they can release their anger.

With regards asking to see ID badges, or asking to see the manager, people generally go about it completely the wrong way. Our badges are always on display, but when someone starts aggressively asking our names, we're perfectly entitled to cover our badges for our own safety. I certainly wouldn't want some angry, foaming-at-the-mouth hot-head knowing my name. When you calm down, and give us reason to believe that you're not going to engage in threatening behaviour then we can give you our PSA numbers.

Despite what people think, we are NOT obliged to produce our licences at the demand of anyone except a PSA official, an on-duty Garda, or the client we work for. You can, however, request to see our PSA numbers, as long as you don't give us reason to question our own safety, and you're not interfering with us getting our job done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Oh oh, Bouncers on strike now too .. :mad:

Advertisement