Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you start a club?

• 03-07-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering what is required in order to start a club? I'm not looking for it to be a CFT club or anything but just a general idea of what is required in starting and running a diving club.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

I'd have guessed setting up as a CFT club would have been easiest?

If you're not training members and it's just a group of divers that want to meet up and dive regularly then the easiest thing would be to just setup a mailing list and online blog-type website. Just everyone involved in close contact. Then maybe take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

No its not that. Its to form an entity with a registered name which can be used to take loans/purchase equipment/apply for grants etc etc.

A group of knobs going diving together wouldn't be sufficient ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Hi Kev,

The first logical thing to do would be to select an agency that your going to be affiliated with e.g. CFT, BSAC etc etc and ring there head office and talk to someone about setting up a club, no doubt they'll guide you about insurance etc. You'll probably need a instructor as a head figure in the club, some agencies might require you to be of a certain qualification before they give you club status.

Obviously you'll need members so it will probably help if you've people interested before you start the club. Then a meeting to decided small things like name, meeting dates & times & venue. Then a committee, diving officer, treasure etc etc

As for grants that will largely be down to local council, lotto & government for example sports grants.

Some clubs when starting, so I've heard ask their members if they would like to contribute money as a loan to the club so the club can purchase equipment, e.g a boat, a compressor etc etc.

I dont know the fine details but Ill try find out for ya.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dave_r

I am not a lawyer.
    But.. I have been involved in setting up two clubs, neither of them a dive club.
    As I see it if you are just a group of friends who meet to go diving that is a different thing from being a club. If you are a club then you need to consider the issue of getting public liability and personal accident insurance as a club, because anyone injured on a club activity can potentially sue the club for negligence, and that could mean the other members, even members that were not involved in the incident. I don't know of any other way to get insured as a club than to be affiliated to an umbrella organization. You could become a company maybe and that gives some benefits in terms of limited liability, but then you have to submit annual accounts to the C.R.O.

Advertisement