Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Killarney Tomorrow?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Well, I'm getting the 6.30 train from Heuston tomorrow evening. Anyone else coming and want to over-run a carraige?

May I suggest we meet at 6.10 outside the easons in the station?

Anyone who doesn't have my mobile number, just pm me and I'll supply it.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Myself and Paul are on the same train as you. We aim to be there at six at the latest. You'll have to iron your shirt though if you want to share a carriage with us. Also, who's bringing the tinnies?

PM sent re: mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Myself and Paul are on the same train as you. We aim to be there at six at the latest. You'll have to iron your shirt though if you want to share a carriage with us. Also, who's bringing the tinnies?

PM sent re: mobiles.

I'll stop at the booze to go and get some Dutchy. Afraid no shirt for me though -maybe I'll try ironing my boards jersey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Change of plans, I'm in ollietrix's van :)

Anyone around for a pint in the evening at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

May I suggest we meet at 6.10 outside the easons in the station?
    To be safe I would advise getting you and your bike on the train as early as possible. Exchange mobile numbers to meet up on the train.

daymobrew wrote: »
    To be safe I would advise getting you and your bike on the train as early as possible. Exchange mobile numbers to meet up on the train.

My bike's goin in Ken's car (the lucky lil bike) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

penexpers wrote: »
    Change of plans, I'm in ollietrix's van :)
    I'm also in Ollie's van, looks like all the sensible bikes with mudguards are going that way :) See you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Yep I would be up for a pint or two...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We're not getting in till around ten. By the time I get fed and settled in the hotel it might be a bit late. We should probably organise Saturday night pints though, given that its likely we'll be finishing the ride at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

you would want to be queueing up for the 630 train at 530. Im not joking...
    unless you have a pre-booked seat...you may end up standing...

im getting the 5pm train myself

Ah jaysus. That isn't what I want to hear. It's going to be hard enough leaving the office at 5:30, let alone getting to the station for then.

• Advertisement

Book your seat if you can.

penexpers wrote: »
    Book your seat if you can.

I've already done that, but I believe it doesn't make much difference. If your seat is swiped, they'll only 'endevour' to find you another.

Ah jaysus. That isn't what I want to hear. It's going to be hard enough leaving the office at 5:30, let alone getting to the station for then.

i know sorry...but its the busiest train on a Friday evening on any weekend and is always packed (and you will have plenty more going for the ROK).
    Just get there as early as you can. Head (run..) straight for the train, dont dawdle about getting food/drink in shops etc.

I've already done that, but I believe it doesn't make much difference. If your seat is swiped, they'll only 'endevour' to find you another.

In my experience people who have booked a seat have no problem at all in roaring at you to get out of their seat....its not very nice...

If your seat is swiped they are meant to ask the offending party to vacate the seat and if the person refuses to vacate it they are meant to refuse the person travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

A group of friends of mine all booked their seats together for the evening train down to Kilarny, only to find that CIE sold them again as 'you weren't here 30minutes before the train leaves'...

So that's the type of company you're dealing with.
    Best to shout at the people in your seats to get out.

Book your seat, definately (free on the internet) but you can't book the bike, you have to buy that in person; those guard's vans will take a few but they are only so big and I doubt you'll be the only ones planning on taking a bike down on the 18:30 ;-) I wouldn't be surprised if they had an official limit of 6-8 bikes per train, and it's first-come, first served. I would even consider buying the bike ticket today if you can (technically I think this is out of regulation, you have to buy on the day, but you can persuade them) so you don't have to queue for a ticket tomorrow.

Hang on, I've to buy a ticket for the bike?

Just checked the Iarnrod Eireann website:
    On Intercity trains bicycles not folded and covered can be conveyed in the guards' compartment or the special cycle racks where provided. A valid ticket for the bicycle must be obtained before travelling. Please check at your local station before travelling.

No idea though what the fare is for a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

bought tickets for (€65 return) me and the bicycle (€16) on the way home. didn't think to reserve seating :rolleyes: but i'm more concerned about the fact that yerwan said there was only room for 6 bikes on the train!

i'm going to be down there very early...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

6? Do they not know that there's a big event on down there? Jaysus, not even all the boardsies will get bikes on at that rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Just nipped out to Connolly station and got two bike tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

kenmc wrote: »
    Video...

Har...that's a dead cert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Well me, Blorg and Penexers are going down in my van so if you trust us not to run off with your bikes and can get them to me by 3ish tomorrow afternoon in rathfarnham (right by the yellow house) I have space for probably about 4-5 bikes if I take some of the bits out of the van..

Drop me a PM if you are intrested (Will be online more of the night)

niceonetom wrote: »
    bought tickets for (€65 return) me and the bicycle (€16) on the way home. didn't think to reserve seating :rolleyes: but i'm more concerned about the fact that yerwan said there was only room for 6 bikes on the train!

i'm going to be down there very early...

Jaysis if there's only room for six bikes on a train then for anyone getting the 1830 I would think about getting there at about 3pm and finding out what platform the train leaves from and start queuing then.

In that case, whoever gets down first gets on the train and saves seats for all of us... better book our seats tonight so

6? Do they not know that there's a big event on down there? Jaysus, not even all the boardsies will get bikes on at that rate!

I'm having visions of cycling straight through the door of the station and then finding myself sprinting down the platform a la Robbie McEwen versus other guys to get the last slot in the guard's van.

Just booked... we're in seats C61 and C63, whatever that means -Tom, we'll save you a seat next to us!

• Advertisement

If you have a seat booked, it's yours- your name actually appears on a LED display above the seat and you can turf anyone else out of it (they have announcements on boarding about not taking reserved seats.) I'd be more worried about the bike, I know the guard's vans well and you might get more than six bikes in but it does not surprise me they have a limit of six, at the end of the day they are not huge without limit. Hint- bring cable ties and maybe you can persuade someone to let you tie your bike to the hooks, you can get an extra two bikes in that way, each side:

th_irish_rail.jpg

Advertisement