Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

simple sea bait fishing rig

• 03-07-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

i am looking for a simple sea fishing rig for throwing out baits(sandeels,mackerel bits)

i normally feather fish or lure fish
    the last time i tried i just used a hook,can't remember the size,on a 2-3ft length of 21lb line and a 4oz lead weight

i fired out a sandeel and caught nothing
    and then a few bits of frozen mackerel i had since last year

i normally have a swivel on the end of my main with the snap link clip thingy so i can change from one to the other quickly

do the fish see that i'm doing something wrong?
    am i doing something wrong?
    its normally off the rocks i fish

how far should i be able to cast a 4oz weight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

oflynno wrote: »
    i am looking for a simple sea fishing rig for throwing out baits(sandeels,mackerel bits)

i normally feather fish or lure fish
    the last time i tried i just used a hook,can't remember the size,on a 2-3ft length of 21lb line and a 4oz lead weight

i fired out a sandeel and caught nothing
    and then a few bits of frozen mackerel i had since last year

i normally have a swivel on the end of my main with the snap link clip thingy so i can change from one to the other quickly

do the fish see that i'm doing something wrong?
    am i doing something wrong?
    its normally off the rocks i fish

how far should i be able to cast a 4oz weight?

If you want a simple rig to target a wide variety of species and easy to cast is Snaggy Rig.
    snaggy.jpg
    Instead of a loop as shown at the top of the rig use a swivel instead.
    Fish can detect a threat if rigs are not make properly eg hooks are to big, trace line is to heavy/bright. When making rigs use clear mono/flurocarbon and black when conditions are merky. When using any frozen/soft baits make sure to use elastic to bind on the bait so it wont come off it the cast or when small fish/crabs are at it. Since you are fishing from a rock mark where there would be a variety of species, make sure to change hook size and leader lenght depending on the species.
    For your other question casting a 4oz lead/any lead takes practice. You cant expect to cast a certain distance without practicing. If you wish to achieve more distance in your cast start practicing with a plain lead down in your local soccar pitch. This also helps because since distance is marked you can find out your range. Also set markers in the pitch and try aiming for them so you can achieve both a long and accurate cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Is this the same as a single hook paternoster rig? Would the lead weight simply be clipped onto the Bait Clip?

I found this interesting video yesterday for making a very basic single hook paternoster rig.
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/541207/back_casts_paternoster_rig/

The rig made in the video does not have any swivel connecting the snood (with the hook on the end) to the mainline of the rig, and there are no beads - would this make much of a difference?

jAH

Yes the weight would be attacted to the clip at the end.
    The rig is the same as a simple patanoster.
    Beads will make a difference but it depends on the species, some fish like red some dont, etc, etc. The best way is to make a few of the rigs with different bead combos or no beads at all. If you are fishing at night glowing beads may produce more bites for you if you are fishing frozen or bait the lacks scent.

Also some rigs are made with no swivel for the snood, it is best to put one on because it avoids tangles when casting and reeling in, and allows for better bait presentation so the bait looks more natural.

Advertisement