Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty 7 goes medieval

• 03-07-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Well with all the COD sequel thread going about, I thought I'd ask how long do you think this franchise can run for? Are there any particular eras that have left to be tapped e.g. WWI.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Surprised their hasn't been a game about the American War of Independence tbh. It would be pretty terrible I'd imagine but thought their might have been at this stage.

Vietnam- too soon maybe? No way for a yank to save the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Yeah I reckon that's why we haven't seen more Vietnam games. Imagine all those teenage Yanks bragging about how great America is - and then they play COD: Vietnam and it ends with them being kicked out of Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

there was one game on the war of independence, looked brutal u can see it on youtube, veitnam has been done a few times, but mainly on pc... i predict they will go into the future with lasers and ****, which would suck

Imagine how crap COD: Desert Storm would be?

Huge rampage across the desert and then the final level involves turning back home instead of finishing the game :D

Maybe buy an add-on pack then about 11 years later.

COD:Abu Ghraib or COD:Fallujah anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I think maybe expanding COD.
    All cod's so far have been very linear, you go straight through and that's it really for the most part. There was one cod2 mission where you had 4 objectives and you could complete them at your lesiure. But other than that all the same really.

It would be brilliant if say there was a large town, you had a objective, you had an attack plan, lets say it doesn't work, then you must make up your own. sometimes the original plan may work sometimes not. Just give more freedom to the player really.
    As for time line, I'd like to see a decent nam game, havn't played any really.

If you want an ojective based game where you attack big towns, check out Frontlines: Fuel of War.

I could see COD going down the MMOPRG route. All those perks and ranks seemed like something from that avenue of gaming.

silvine wrote: »
    If you want an ojective based game where you attack big towns, check out Frontlines: Fuel of War.

I could see COD going down the MMOPRG route. All those perks and ranks seemed like something from that avenue of gaming.

A little look down that particular avenue from a great distance is more than enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

COD 6: Belfast

Frontlines attempted to do ths yes, but in quite and epic fail like fashion!
    That game's sp was pants to the max.

• Advertisement

armour87 wrote: »
    COD 6: Belfast

paratroopers or IRA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

the cold war?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Cato wrote: »
    paratroopers or IRA?

Paratrooper vs. IRA!

lets get it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

A game from the German perspective, please? Invading Russia? Greece? France?

I'm not sick of WW2, I'm sick of British Africa/ Russian Winter/ American Normandy cliched campaigns.

At least Treyarch are going somewhat new places in this regard with the pacific and the eastern front battles of 1945.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

The Queen wrote: »
    At least Treyarch are going somewhat new places in this regard with the pacific and the eastern front battles of 1945.
    Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault was released over a year ago...

However I do agree with you. I'm not sick of WW2 games either. I just want to experience new campaigns! And I wouldn't mind playing as a German against the Russians! Or as a member of the French Résistance! We'll see what CoD6 will bring sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I'm fed up of fighting WW2 and now in Iraq or something similar...

I have said it time and time again, why can't we have a great WW1 game?

Bayonets on rifles, bolt action goodness, I think the CoD developers (that made 1,2 &4) could do a really good job on this.

Slightly more on topic though, a medieval CoD game would be interesting to see but you would be a bit limited unless they included things like catapults and seige type things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the crowd that made Cod4 should remake severance: blade of darkness, or make a sequel.

that would pwn

It could only really work for the early stages of the war (WWI), before everything got bogged down. Could get very very repetitive after that I reckon. Then again I could be wrong, it did have the beginnings of tank and air to air combat and countless weapons innovations.

How about a game based on Rommels campaigns in North Africa, from the Germans perspective? Considering he wasn't a die hard nazi it mightn't be too hard to get through the PR minefield that would come with developing a game from the German point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Surprised their hasn't been a game about the American War of Independence tbh. It would be pretty terrible I'd imagine but thought their might have been at this stage.

Suprisingly enough there was one...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_Channel:_Civil_War

I dont think it was very good, tbh any fps without any type of automatic weapon is going to be pretty bad tbh.
    I'm fed up of fighting WW2 and now in Iraq or something similar...

I have said it time and time again, why can't we have a great WW1 game?

For one a singleplayer campaign is all but impossible. Sitting around in a trench getting shot at as a mission is not going to be fun, nor would going over the top, getting killed/wounded and then having to crawl back to your own trench. Also it'd be hard to glorify one side over the other as the "good guys", the germans werent the nazi's they were just the germans.

Not to mention multiplayer without automatic weapons would be terrible. Close combat would be pretty annoying with bolt action rifles.
    Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault was released over a year ago...

4 years ago actually :P

That was the best medal of honour game I've ever payed actually, I'm really hoping they can bring some of the aspects of that game to call of duty and the next gen.

Personally I'd like to see Call of Duty go with a Vietnam setting or even more modern warfare not set in russia/europe/middle east which as settings are getting a little over done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There is a certain truth to what robby's saying - modern warfare in a not normal setting. There's no reason we can't make up a war between, I dunno, Columbia and Mexico or something - playable as both sides - only to discover half way in that US Black Ops teams have started the whole war or something mad like this and you can keep going or attempt to join forces and take on the states :) Lo-tech armies going up against well dug-in special forces squads of 5-10 with all the best tech might make for some interesting games.

• Advertisement

Kharn wrote: »
    There is a certain truth to what robby's saying - modern warfare in a not normal setting. There's no reason we can't make up a war between, I dunno, Columbia and Mexico or something - playable as both sides - only to discover half way in that US Black Ops teams have started the whole war or something mad like this and you can keep going or attempt to join forces and take on the states :) Lo-tech armies going up against well dug-in special forces squads of 5-10 with all the best tech might make for some interesting games.

i don't know this whole modern warfare lark has been done to death my tom Clancy games ghost recon etc :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

On the ps2 there was a series of games conflict desert storm 1 and 2, then vietnam and global storm which i thought were excellent games then they brought out denied ops which was rubbish, A desert storm type call of duty would be pretty good id imagine if they chose to ignore some actual events. It is a game after all, they wouldn't have to follow the actual events. imo.

Or we could wait for far cry 2.
    African conflict.

Now where's me hunting rifle....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Hhhmmm...

CoD6: WW1

Act 2

Mission 3
    Objective One: Sing
    Objective Two: Call a Truce
    Objective Three: Play Football With Germans
    Objective Four: Beat Germans At Football
    Mission Complete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Its amazing the way Americans glorify how they fought in WWII.The vast majority of these games imply that America won the war almost single-handedly.America only fought in WWII for a few years.Britain,France and Russia were at war for 6 years yet the Americans take credit for the defeat of Germany.
    Think about how few games have been made about American involvement in Vietnam!How many years did that last?From 1959 to 1975!:eek:.Yet they made so few games about it.....because the lost.
    I would like to see a good Cod game about vietnam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

GA361 wrote: »
    Its amazing the way Americans glorify how they fought in WWII.The vast majority of these games imply that America won the war almost single-handedly.America only fought in WWII for a few months.Britain,France and Russia were at war for 6 years yet the Americans take credit for the defeat of Germany.
    Think about how few games have been made about American involvement in Vietnam!How many years did that last?From 1959 to 1975!:eek:.Yet they made so few games about it.....because the lost.
    I would like to see a good Cod game about vietnam.

Eh, CoD has the British and Russian perspective also dude. As for Medal of Honor thats all from the American viewpoint as an actual Medal of Honor is only given to american servicemen.
    Finally, Germany declared war on the States in 1941 so thats about 3/4 years in WW2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Finally, Germany declared war on the States in 1941 so thats about 3/4 years in WW2.

That was a typo.
    I mean that Thare arent alot of games soley from non Allied perspectives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

History is written by the victor.
    Imagine the uproar if there was a game where you were some nazi trying to keep the dream of the 3rd Reich alive. Would be interesting.
    Or Company of Heroes, build you batallion HQ and a prison camp for any undesiribles found along the way!!!

I do remember a few years ago reading an article about some Lebanese who made a game (a glorified CS:S mod) where you were a Hezbolla freedom fighter. Think anti game nuts like Jack Thompson came down hard on it.

I'd play that game! What about COD: Jihad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

silvine wrote: »
    I'd play that game! What about COD: Jihad?

Yeah, but you were a terrorist in al-Qaeda who had to invade America?

Advertisement