Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving a driveway - help required

Options
  • 03-07-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Need advice on improving a driveway at the front of my house so hopefully one of you budding DIY enthuaists may be able to assist me on this one. Well its not so much a driveway, more of a parking area along the front of the house outside the front gate. It an area of circa 160 to 170 square metres. its white dusty type gravel on it presently (not sure of the exact name of the topping or that) but its not fantastic looking and weeds are coming up quite badly through it.

My question is does anyone know a cost effective way of re-surfacing it to make it look respectable. I really like the look of brown or gold resin bound type gravel but how many contractors install as such (in the Limerick area). Also would the weeds come up again badly in time through this. I understand nothing is going to be completely maintenance free though. What ground works are involved as I would attempt do as much as I can myself to cut costs. How much below the surface would I have to dig up and whats involved in laying weed proof membranes etc? The surface is on a slope and cars and trucks on the road are inclined to drive over parts of it at times so would it eventually get carried away or moved around a lot. The surface is really solid though and there are no potholes in it.

Not a big fan of tarmac as after a few years I think it begins to look tatty and also think it may be quite costly.

Any advice or suggestions are very welcome.

Advertisement