Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Diet needs major overhaul please

• 03-07-2008 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Need some advice on how to change my diet, at the moment its bad and need healthy options with a view to lose the belly.

Breakfast. Cereal Special K, Tea, 2x slices Toast Brown bread.
    Lunch. Potatoes, ham, Peas, Tea, Jelly smile.gif
    Afternoon. Tea
    Evening. Brown Bread x2 slice , Cheese, Milk
    Supper. Tea

Usually the same each day Mon-Fri.

No exercise, sit at work, Male, 5.10, 12.5 stone.

GOALS : Exercise and eat a lot better. Lose some weight and get fit.

ALL HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED, I do not affend easily so be harsh if need be!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Straight off: It's extremely high in carbs, almost completely lacking protein, and I see no mention of fats or fruits or veg apart from peas.

Two slices of bread is not a sufficient dinner.

You should be having something high in energy or protein for breakfast, like eggs or porridge. Special K is full of sugar, and you don't need the bread there either.

Lunch is pretty appalling too. You don't need the potatoes or the jelly. Again, you should be looking for something high in protein, like a tuna salad.

Dinner - well, pretty much anything would be better than what you're eating.

Have a look through the stickies and the food diaries to get an idea of what others are eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lazyslob

The food diaries are very good and will definitly make some immediate changes. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Pretty much like Faith said, except I think I'd die of boredom on the diet suggested :) but check the food diaries.

Make sure you eat something healthier for dinner. Stir fried veg with chicken or something similar should be fine.

Oh and start excercising. Your BMI would put you in the normal range but to be honest it's a rubbish way of calulating it. You know yourself if you are fit or not. Join a gym and commit to going 3 times a week. set yourself small targets. It might be 'I will go to the gym three times a week for four weeks' or 'I'll aim to beat 30 minutes for 5 km within 3 months'. Just make sure it's small and more importantly a target you can hit.

Also set yourself a bigger goal with a much longer target. It could be 'to do 3 pull-ups by christmas' or 'to get a six pack by next summer'. They're my aims and as long as I'm working towards them, even if I don't hit them, I won't be too bothered. My short term ones are the ones that matter and as long as I keep meeting them the long term ones will happen.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gurlzie1

lazyslob wrote: »
    Need some advice on how to change my diet, at the moment its bad and need healthy options with a view to lose the belly.

Breakfast. Cereal Special K, Tea, 2x slices Toast Brown bread.
    Lunch. Potatoes, ham, Peas, Tea, Jelly smile.gif
    Afternoon. Tea
    Evening. Brown Bread x2 slice , Cheese, Milk
    Supper. Tea

Usually the same each day Mon-Fri.

No exercise, sit at work, Male, 5.10, 12.5 stone.

GOALS : Exercise and eat a lot better. Lose some weight and get fit.

ALL HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED, I do not affend easily so be harsh if need be!!!!!

Way too much carb in the diet and since when does a cup of tea qualify as a snack or supper? There is hardly any protein, no veg or essential fats in your diet which is not ideal either.

You should be eating 5-6 times a day if possible and need to have a good amount of veg, protein and some essential good fats.
    There is a wide variety of healthy alternatives to what you are eating now so there is no fear of being bored with your food.

You could drop the brown bread and special k for breakfast, try swapping it for oats or shredded wheat or even fruit salad with natural yogurt.
    Snack on a handful of nuts/seeds or have some fruit instead of a cup of tea, or you could have a couple of tbs hummus with some veg as a snack. There are plenty of variations of salads and stirfrys that you can try for lunchs or dinners that are very tasty. Steamed veg is very easy to prepare and doesn't take long to do, have it with lean meat and you can't go wrong.

There are so many options available to you all you have to do is put a little bit of thought into it and not be lazy about preparing food.
    Your diet will br the key to success with dropping weight, exercise alone will not cut it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Cut out those carbs like Faith said!
    Celeriac is a good alternative to spuds.
    You can buy wheat gluten for white bread but its hard to come across.
    Plenty of eggs and meat.
    Dunnes do a great reduced sugar jelly in a pot that will satisfy your sweet tooth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lazyslob

I'm getting great advice, thanks. Will be able to put together a new food regime for next week, do some serious food shopping the weekend.

Whats the best drink to take during the day, instead of my usual tea?
    What bread is good for you if any?

Will try to have 5 meals a day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Some of the multiseed breads would be a good alternative option. I know of one make in particular but without the aid of my SO the name of the manufacturer escapes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

If your not big into exercise Op, I suggest walking. A brisk 20 minute walk a day can make a huge difference, both mentally and physically...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

lazyslob wrote: »
    Whats the best drink to take during the day, instead of my usual tea?
    What bread is good for you if any?

Will try to have 5 meals a day.

Tea is a perfectly good drink, it's just not a meal. Black tea, green tea, herb teas, even coffee are all fine. Water is excellent, drink lots of it.

I feel bread is one of those things which is useful to fill gaps or provide a quick energy boost if you have a big workout coming, but it's not good as regular food. The ratio of nutrients to calories is very low. Ryvita is less than half the calories of a slice of bread and has more fibre. If you are going to eat bread, then go for fresh wholegrain (wheat or rye) bread. Most brown bread is not wholegrain. Real wholegrain is very dense and chewy.

Advertisement