Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional Authorities

Options
  • 03-07-2008 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this so feel free to move it. Just wanted to get a grasp on how much people know about their Regional Authority? Councillors sit on these authorities and draw up Regional Planning Guidelines (but have little power to enforce them funnily enough)and had to be set up in the 1990's in order for ireland to get our EU Structural Funds. Part of my thesis research is to find out how much the general public knows about these authorities. Are they prominent, in your view? Personally, I didn't realise they existed until I looked for them! Any views more than welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The have little profile because they have no budget or their own.

Note that there are varying regional authorities:
    (a) the BMW and S&E regions
    (b) regional authorities under the local government acts
    (c) various regional structures, often overlapping in area and function for a variety of functions, including health, policing, fisheries, industrial development, etc.

Also note that some councils operate many services on an area basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 thesis86

I'm looking at the regional authorities under the government acts in particular. The funding issue is something I've found out about first hand. Difficult enough to get them to answer a phone or reply to an e-mail...

Advertisement