Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used engine oil as fuel??

Options
  • 03-07-2008 5:17pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know the whole veggie oil has been done to death but has anyone had any success in using used engine oil to run a diesel.

Apparently once its filtered to 10 microns it can be used in a 50/50 mix of oil/diesel and the filter will need a change every 3-5k instead of the usual 10k+.

Have access here to approx 5000-8000 litres of the stuff per year and was considering running a diesel on it as an experiment.

Richie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Would be cool if it did.

I wouldn't try it on modern diesels though, too fussy. An old banger is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Would be cool if it did.

I wouldn't try it on modern diesels though, too fussy. An old banger is the only way to go.

Don't agree. A good few Renault Laguna's have ran very well on engine oil (their own) for a few minutes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

gyppo wrote: »
    Don't agree. A good few Renault Laguna's have ran very well on engine oil (their own) for a few minutes:D

Do you mean "A few Renault Laguna's ran very well for a few minutes"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

You'd need to filter it thoroughly, and all that waste carbon in it wouldn't do the injectors any favors.

It would need to be very un-viscous.

Does anyone know how much energy there is in oil per unit volume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Have access here to approx 5000-8000 litres of the stuff per year and was considering running a diesel on it as an experiment.

Richie.
    If your central heating is oil-fired you may have options for burning it in that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Would you not have a very smokey car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

maidhc wrote: »
    Would you not have a very smokey car?

It would be like a Trabant I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I have no factual information whatsoever, but I honestly can't imagine how your injectors and pump are supposed to cope with that gloop.

Plus there would be the issue of bringing all the excess soot that the oil normally carries away back into the engine.

I'd be very weary and would try it on an old scrapheap with a running engine first before I'd put it into anything halfway decent.

Isn't used engine oil also classified as toxic? (i.e not just a pollutant, but toxic? ..someone might object to it being burned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

This is a good concept - but not maybe for your car - but it is MAYBE FOR YOUR HOUSE!

I know a bloke who has a central heating boiler that runs of waste oil - and heats a 5000 sq foot house!
    Feck solar panels,pellet boilers and the like - this bloke has it all for free as he works as a mechanical engineer and has access to truck loads of used waste oil per annum.

when i build my next house, i'm going to get me one of these - http://www.wasteoilheat.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It will soon be hard to come across as a lot of dealers will want to hold onto it. A lot of modern dealerships use it to run the central heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Im glad someone posted this up. I was in a taxi in the north of england a few weeks ago and the guy swore on his life that one of his fellow cab driver mates was running a 2002 Merc 220D on Sainsburys cooking oil :eek: He said the lad is putting a tenner of diesel in and tips in a few litres of the veg oil !!! He claims the lad was doing it for the last 8 months and no problems with the car ! FFS, cant believe Im typing this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

This is a good concept - but not maybe for your car - but it is MAYBE FOR YOUR HOUSE!

I know a bloke who has a central heating boiler that runs of waste oil - and heats a 5000 sq foot house!
    Feck solar panels,pellet boilers and the like - this bloke has it all for free as he works as a mechanical engineer and has access to truck loads of used waste oil per annum.

when i build my next house, i'm going to get me one of these - http://www.wasteoilheat.com/

Pity they haven't mentioned the price of one of those burners which could presumably be attached to a normal boiler replacing the fuel oil burner even if it did need more frequent cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I would have imagined you'd need a higher diesel to chip oil ratio to go without modding the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

A guy called to me a while back with a Ford Cargo truck running on burnt oil....very smokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

I think i saw somewhere in cork that is selling these for home heating .................................. does anybody have any experince with them ( or know of a friend of a friend that knows a man? ) :D

Advertisement