Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eligibility for ie domains?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I was having a look at www.iedr.ie there and i noticed that you need to be 'eligible' to register an .ie domain.
    Am i getting this correctly.... to register an .ie domain i have to have a registered business?

What if I just have an idea and want to protect the name while i'm waiting for the fairies to do the market research & set up the business for me?

It's not quite as strict as that (you could register a trademark and get a domain then).

This page has a good bit of detail: http://www.iedr.ie/RegistrationPolicy.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Just register a business name and then apply for the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

how much is it to register a business name?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

how much is it to register a business name?
    About 20 euro if you do it online (http://www.cro.ie)

Thanks, and how long does that last?

• Advertisement

Thanks, and how long does that last?
    An RBN doesn't expire

nice, thanks blacknight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

blacknight wrote: »
    An RBN doesn't expire

Can you have as many as you wish? Like do you have one each for your movie /dvd websites?

Jackz wrote: »
    Can you have as many as you wish?
    I'm not 100% sure - I'd recommend checking with the CRO tbh.

I have a couple and the company has several
    Like do you have one each for your movie /dvd websites?

No. Several of them would be discretionary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

blacknight wrote: »
    discretionary

Discretionary you say, so does that mean you send them e-mail saying movies are a personal interest for me and im starting an online movie club, basically sweet talk them into it?

• Advertisement

Discretionary you say, so does that mean you send them e-mail saying movies are a personal interest for me and im starting an online movie club, basically sweet talk them into it?
    No.

They're sole trader > discretionary

Which means that they are registered to me as a sole trader with an RBN supported by a signed fax / letter

Getting a personal discretionary name is possible, but it's not worth the headaches

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Yeah I went through all this stuff when I registered my .ie domain. Not as much hassle as you think though; it can all be done online.

Advertisement