Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Magazine Ad

Options
  • 03-07-2008 5:28pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else find this ad really annoying? Its inferring that women have nothing to say unless they are talking about some made up stories about pointless celebs in an even more pointless magazine?

Comments

I actually like that ad....it amuses me.

I think your reading too much into it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I actually like that ad....it amuses me.

I think your reading too much into it.
    Or maybe I just hate Heat magazine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

no not irritating at all

Oryx wrote: »
    Or maybe I just hate Heat magazine anyway.

I can't stand the sight of heat.....the other ad annoys me, simply because it is for heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

just saw it for the first time there, think its hiliarious:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Thank god someone else has such a problem with this ad - I can't believe they get away with it. They're literally saying that women must buy Heat or be left with nothing to say!!! And you know what the saddest thing is? I know some girls/women (lived with one actually) who couldn't have a conversation without those magazines coming into it.

Anyone with an ounce of cop on will use this ad as a reason (one of many) to steer well clear of sh*t rags like this. But no doubt some will think it's cute and funny and will continue to perpetuate the women-are-dumb-and-discuss-nothing-but-fashion/gossip myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

I wouldn't take it so seriously it's funny enough.sure they always make generalisations bout guys bout beer and sex and they don't have a problem....maybe they're all just true!....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dee369369 wrote: »
    sure they always make generalisations bout guys bout beer and sex and they don't have a problem....maybe they're all just true!....

You left out football ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

It annoys me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Oryx wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else find this ad really annoying? Its inferring that women have nothing to say unless they are talking about some made up stories about pointless celebs in an even more pointless magazine?

+1

Pretty stoopid alright :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well after all she is a blonde....

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FlexiLexi

Thaedydal wrote: »

a little harsh!!!! im blonde, & hate heat magazine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Heeeyyyyy I reed gud with Heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is this the real reason everyone was lying on the ground in that Radiohead video?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

That's a bit of a generalisation, I'm also blonde and dont read Heat or any of those type of mags!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

The ironing, its lost !11!1!!1!!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hey! Im blonde and... and....

...oh heck I forgot what I was going to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

I cant see it! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

pookie82 wrote: »
    T And you know what the saddest thing is? I know some girls/women (lived with one actually) who couldn't have a conversation without those magazines coming into it.

So the Ad is correct then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Tbh most advertising is built around stereotypes. In advertising-land, Women like shoes, makeup and gossib, Men like beer, sex and football.

Everything's simpler in Advertising-land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

WindSock wrote: »
    So the Ad is correct then.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If there are people who are like that (and there are) then there's nothing wrong with it. Just because a woman is in the ad doesn't mean all women are like that. Some of us like to think we're pretty intelligent and independent and don't help 'stereotypes' or 'generalisations' grow by acknowledging them as 'stereotypes' or 'generalisations'. How about acknowledging instead that this is a representation of some women, and not a 'stereotype' of all women.

People need to forget about the way women are perceived by some others and work on remembering that we are individual.

But it's Heat magazine, so who even cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

g'em wrote: »
    The ironing, its lost !11!1!!1!!!!!!

:D Only if you're blonde, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I find the ad amusing, lets face it, everyone knows one of these eejits, some of them are male. But, yes, they should be brought out around the back in small groups and shot.
    The man mag-rags are equally as irritating.

Advertisement