Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beat the traffic! - cutting lumps off journey times.

Options
  • 03-07-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Ill probably shoot myself if these secrets become widespread knowledge!, but I have noticed recently how alot of people seem to miss relatively obvious oppourtunities to cut minutes off their journeys. Heres some examples.

1) At the end of the M1, south bound where is goes to an 80km/hr speed limit there is often in the late weekday afternoons a queue of traffic stopped on the sliproad leading onto the M50 intersection, maybe 200-400 metres long backed up. The traffic on the right lane all seem to be heading onto the M50. Why not ignore this queue, and head down to the Santry exit to the left of the port tunnel, 180 degree it on the roundabout back onto the M50. (Saving: approx 5mins)

2)On the N32, heading towards Total Fitness, there is often a 200-300m long queue of cars wait to turn right to head towards Coolock Village down the Malahide road past Tescos. Why not head straight on, cut thru the Malahide road and do a 180 at the roundabout about 300m up the road (at the 27 bus terminus) near Donagmede, come down the back of Total Fitness, and fling a left onto the Malahide road. (Savings: approx 5-7 minutes)

3)Tesco petrol station in Clare hall, 7pm. Queues of cars streaming out of the place despite Shell, 30 metres away on the same side of the road selling petrol for the same price. (Cant remember diesel price there tho.) (Saving: Approx 10 - 15 minutes)

Interested to hear if others found similar savings. Better for fuel economy too.

That is all. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dublin forum or motoring ? Dublin / motoring, Daddy or chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

peasant wrote: »

Googlefight suggested 'chips' when we ran that in work about, erm, 7 years ago when that ad campaign was on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Shell, 30 metres away on the same side of the road

Has that shell garage not been closed for the past couple of months?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Has that shell garage not been closed for the past couple of months?

sure has, but as op mentioned it matched Tesco for price, then closed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Valuable club card points to be gained when I need to put 90 poxy yoyo's of juice in the tank - using my tesco visa card too so more points again:D

granted though, not in clare hall - out in dundrum.

More cheap trips to the zoo and lunches in TGI's for the kiddies with all those points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

peasant wrote: »

I was always surprised when people said "chips"

Daddy cooks the chips!

Back on topic - "Shortcuts" to get me in and out of work 50% of the time work in my favour and 50% not - depends who's in front of you and how well they can drive most of the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The Shell is back open since last week. Sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 kev_mcevoy_7

Puncell, your just a ballbag....why not just leave earlier.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    2)On the N32, heading towards Total Fitness, there is often a 200-300m long queue of cars wait to turn right to head towards Coolock Village down the Malahide road past Tescos. Why not head straight on, cut thru the Malahide road and do a 180 at the roundabout about 300m up the road (at the 27 bus terminus) near Donagmede, come down the back of Total Fitness, and fling a left onto the Malahide road. (Savings: approx 5-7 minutes)

You are so right. I come home from work this way. How did I not think of this?
    You get many thanks. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement