Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Grand Prix

• 03-07-2008 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭

Usually when looking at the weather for a race it can be tough to get a good prediction but since this is the closest Grand Prix to us i can say with some confidence that rain will be involved during this one barring Silverstone luckily avoiding the showers. The weather for both Britain and Ireland looks awful for the weekend.

This is a Ferrari track in the dry but if rain comes what would be your expectations? Can Massa claim the win and will he finally be taken seriously as a true title contender? Or will Raikkonen put on a masterclass again? Can Hamilton get a boost from the crowd to victory or lose more ground in the chase?

If rain comes who can step up and put in a result. Coulthard in his last British Grand Prix? Trulli with a similar display from France? Kubica get back on top?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

hamilton was good in the wet in monaco, but that was a totally different type of track, he is due a good race though.

will be interesting to see how bmw, renault and toyota get on too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Hamilton got in a spot of bother this week when he said he reckoned he was fitter than Button. Button upon hearing this challenged Hamilton to compete in the next triathlon he was running (he finished 117th out of 1,700 in an olympic length triathlon recently). If Hamilton beat Button Jenson would give 10,000 to the charity of Lewis' choice. Hamilton reluctantly accepted the offer but pulled out on the advice of his "advisors" later on.

Not a great PR move.

http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=formula1/08/07/03/AUTO_British_Nightlead.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Thats because he is a pr*k. Don't get me wrong, the guy has talent, but needs to keep his mouth shut and get busy on the track.
    Man up now Hami, Man up. If its a wet race he will do well. I still think the BMW of R Kubica could be a outside bet for the win.
    Remember thet LH and RK raced against each other all through their racing careers and neither one is afraid of the other.

It could actually be a brilliant race, (ITV coverage aside), but I won't be able to see it this Sunday!!
    God Damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1973parahead

Lads heading over this weekend where in your opinion is the best place to view the action with general admission tickets.Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Looking like being dry for qualifying and over 50/50 chance for rain to make an appearance in the race itself. May well not be dry throughout the race if the weather gods have their way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Take that all you HATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Great drive, F1 is still a bit boring but its great when its showery :)

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Delighted for Lewis , excellent drive , fair play for winning Silverstone too, extra special for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Legend, Ferrari hand him the race and now it's the greatest drive in Silverstone ever?

"Take that you armchair experts" says Martin Brundle, Fair and balanced.....

Level on points now should be very interesting for the 2nd half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

McLaren/Hamilton were smarter than Ferrari. That would'nt have happened on Ross Brawns watch.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

its great when its showery :)

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ferrari fan myself - can't believe they were so stupid to leave Kimi out on the worn inters like that. Losing 10 seconds a lap at one point, a stop would have paid for itself in 3 laps.

Excellent drive by Lewis, well deserved win.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Great win but still cant stand the cocky little git.

McLaren/Hamilton were smarter than Ferrari.

McLaren could not change to full wets, no being able to change does not equal smarter.
    That would'nt have happened on Ross Brawns watch

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Great race glad to see heidfeld and barricello get to the podium, was surprised more teams didn't go to the extremes like honda did, given the amount of time baracello was able to make up.

Lewis did do a great job on the standard wets when everyone else was much slower, the ferraris really didn't like the wet and the tire decision turned out to be a risky move

Good to see it so close in the championship

I honestly can't listen to James Allen for one more single second!
    Uurrghhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

mike65 wrote: »
    McLaren/Hamilton were smarter than Ferrari. That would'nt have happened on Ross Brawns watch.

Mike.

As pointed out by other posters, McLaren/Hamilton couldn't change to full wets, so they opted for a conventional pitstop(ie. fuel and 4 new tyres please), so it wasn't so much McLaren being smart, but Ferrari being dumb.

True though, Ferrari wouldn't have messed up like that with Ross in charge, look at how Barrichello did with him calling the tactical shots.

When the weather is great and everything is fine, you don't notice the genius of someone like Ross, but when mayhem and madness make an appearance, whether through crashes, safety cars or weather, he's worth his weight in gold. Why oh why did nobody copy Barrichello today though, when he was ten seconds a lap faster than everybody but Hamilton. If Heidfeld had taken the gamble he might have won, its not like he was in the championship running and wanted to take the safe points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

FrostyJack wrote: »
    "Take that you armchair experts" says Martin Brundle, Fair and balanced.....
    Very choosy with your misquote.
    He was quoting Ron Denis who had just been interviewed and he was including himself (and the other pundits).
    "Take that us armchair experts as Ron Denis called us" is closer to what he said.

And why wouldn't they hail Hamilton. A british broadcaster covering a British event won convincingly by a British driver. Sure they go over the top but they're entitled to and what do ya expect?
    In fairness to Brundle, he's one of the best F1 commentators in the business.

Having said all that, James Allen is a ****ing tosser though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I had kind of written this season off at the very start, since it's the last season on ITV and the last with grooved tyres. I just thought, "feck it, I'll save my enthusiasm for 2009". It's shaping up to be pretty good though, with a potential four or even five way battle for the title.
    cashmni1 wrote:
    Thats because he is a pr*k. Don't get me wrong, the guy has talent, but needs to keep his mouth shut and get busy on the track.

Yes, I think he's a great driver - potentially as good as Senna, Schumacher, Prost, etc, but he needs to stop making references to his own potential greatness, and trying to sound a certain way during interviews. He's so incredibly irritating that I actually can't bear to listen to him talking anymore. It's not his fault, because he's had this idea of 'greatness' instilled in his mind by just about everybody he's come into contact with since he was ten. I get the impression that he's enjoying 'being' an F1 driver just a little bit too much. He should have been given a season in a midfield team, so that he could have become accustomed to the whole F1 thing with a bit more privacy.

Here's a great article (on ITV's F1 website, of all places), which completely sums up my thoughts on Hamilton...
    He’s yet to relax into his new-found status; there is too much of the little karting kid who idolised F1 drivers staring at his adult self and imagining how he looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Catcher86

heyjude wrote: »
    True though, Ferrari wouldn't have messed up like that with Ross in charge, look at how Barrichello did with him calling the tactical shots.

When the weather is great and everything is fine, you don't notice the genius of someone like Ross, but when mayhem and madness make an appearance, whether through crashes, safety cars or weather, he's worth his weight in gold.

+1

Honda are well worth an each way bet for next year with Brawn at the helm. Rubens would have won the race if he had been able to refuel on his second stop.

Who is that muppet writing for the indo.
    He compared Hamiltons performance to Donnington 93!

• Advertisement

"Take that us armchair experts as Ron Denis called us" is closer to what he said.

Yes he was just saying it after Ron's interview, but he didn't say it your way either, as he said about 5 times before that things like "this will shut a few of his critics up" etc, so IMHO I think you heard it your way but not the way he meant it. Brundle is generally class when talking about racing but has drifted off with the rest of ITV when Hammy is involved. He even said that hammy was wrong to be punished in the last race, though he was the first to spot he jumped the corner, talk about reading from a script.

Advertisement