Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Other than Thailand, loas and Cambodia, where should i go in SE Asai

• 03-07-2008 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Hey, im going over to oz for the year later in the year and am stopping off in Asia for a while.

I will more than likely be stopping in Bangkok, but ive been to Thialand, Cambodia and Loas and therefore would like to head somewhere else. loved Loas and thailand, wasnt mad on Cambodia, the poverty was ust a bit to much.

i heard Singapore isnt that great, has anyone got any other ideas on where would be a good spot? i suppose my options would be malaysia, Vietnam, Philapines? Would like to go to China but it seems quite far.

i have 4 weeks and as it always is with these things i want it to be as cheap as possible!

I could just stay in bangkok for a few days and then get an Air Asia to somewhere, thats the plan...suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

With a month and a cheap airasia flight you could get yourself down to Indonesia. Superb beaches, excellent temples and world class diving plus its even cheaper than Thailand. You won't get through it all in a month but you can take in the highlights which would be time well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Are you flying out of Bangkok again?

I'd make my way down to Indonesia like the above post says. Then you can fly cheaply from Bali to Oz.

Borneo is another option worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kincullaboy

on our way to oz we stopped off in malaysia in kuala lumpar. we then got flights to Langkawi and just chilled out there for a week. its a really beautiful island and very cheap also. maybe worth checking out. book flights early and they won't be expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If really depends what you want to do in Asia. Go for relaxation or want to see some of the culture/architecture etc.

I'd definitely check out Malaysia. I was in Langkawai which is an island off the west coast. Nice quiet island. people were great. The Perinthean Islands off the north east coast are meant to be even better and great for diving. The people are so friendly and the food is great, better than Thai I thought. Also heard Boreno is amazing. Didn't manage to get there.

How about Vietnam? I really liked it there (although it was after been in Cambodia!). People were friendly and there's lots to see. And you'd see most of it in 4 weeks. Wasn't too keen on the food there though. Diving is crap. Mekong Delta is a must to do. Just great. You could go from Vietnam into China but would have to look into visas before you go. And you can get cheap enough flights to Australia (Perth) from Vietnam.

The Philippines was okay. I went for the diving. The diving is really great. It's a real honeymooners place to go or if you're over 50 looking to take advantage of young filipinos. The people are extremely friendly and most people speak english. i was warned about bombings and kidnappings but I felt very safe as a girl travelling on my own. It's the feckin taxi frivers you have to watch out for there.There's over 700 islands and some take a lot of work getting too. The popular touristy place is called Boraquay which has beach and bars and resorts. It isn't a really backpacker place but you can find cheap places to stay, just takes a bit of investigation. And I wouldn't book anywhere till you went there. Four weeks might be too long there though if you're not into diving. Manila is a smelly horribly run down city.

Malaysia and Indonesia seem good options for 4 weeks, two weeks in each. Don't bother with Singapore, boring and expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

RATM wrote: »
    With a month and a cheap airasia flight you could get yourself down to Indonesia. Superb beaches, excellent temples and world class diving plus its even cheaper than Thailand. You won't get through it all in a month but you can take in the highlights which would be time well spent.

What kind of prices you talking there RATM? accommodation, beer etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Borneo is fantastic, Singapore's a nice city, Bali, Medan and Jakarta all have amazing things to offer tourists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Vietnam is cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Think ill hit Nam and then try get down to the Philapines. You know how it is with these things, best to just have a rough guide as the plan always changes

Think ill hit Nam and then try get down to the Philapines. You know how it is with these things, best to just have a rough guide as the plan always changes

Might be pushing it trying to do Vietnam and The Philippines in 4 weeks... PM me for any info though. I was there just 6 weeks ago, sigh.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Well i wont want to see the whole countries, maybe just a coupe of places in each, i think i have 5 weeks anyway so its a little bit more.

Was thinking of staying in thailand a little longer, but have heard it gone really really touristy since my visit 3 years ago...

And i will hold you to that Larianne, so when you get a PM a few months down the road asking some questions be sure to wb!!

• Advertisement

Well i wont want to see the whole countries, maybe just a coupe of places in each, i think i have 5 weeks anyway so its a little bit more.

Was thinking of staying in thailand a little longer, but have heard it gone really really touristy since my visit 3 years ago...

And i will hold you to that Larianne, so when you get a PM a few months down the road asking some questions be sure to wb!!

I will! Sure I check this friggin forum all the time ready to spread my knowledge. I have been thinking of getting into travel since coming home!I love it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

What kind of prices you talking there RATM? accommodation, beer etc.

beer about 1.20 a bottle thats 660ml, accom, depends on what you want, budget prices range from about 3-12 a night, my average is about 4-5 for a decent room. transport is really cheap, everything from buses to trains..anyway great place and i much prefer it to thailand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

defo do the Perinthian Islands off the north east coast of Malaysia, I was supposed to go only for 3-4 days, ended up staying a week. Air Asia is your best mate in SE Asia, cheap flights. The nearest large city is Kota Bharu, from there you get a taxi down to Kuala Basut where the boats go from- bargain with taxi drivers and try and get other travellers going the same direction.
    No ATM's on the island, you can pay for diving with credit card but they charge you for it. So bring enough cash- it's paradise and hard to leave!

Advertisement