Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW vs. EvE

Options
  • 03-07-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

R0ot wrote: »
    Broken get back on Eve and stay away from this WoW pish, you know in your heart Eve is a million times better! :D
    Wow, way to constructively add to the thread/forums guys.

Perhaps now I can come over to the EvE forums and take turns commenting on how much of a wankstain on MMO's, EvE really is. I mean, since there isnt really any skill involved, its mainly just about using pre-set builds and having the necessary in-game skills to click shoot. Then let the computer fly around the enemies ship until one of you explodes. Yes, infinitely better than WoW.

Or perhaps, each MMO is made for a different niche market. And in order to call a player truly yours, you need to let them go and explore other MMOs. If they dont return, then it was never meant to be but if they do... then who cares, Warcraft is probably better off without those quitters anyways!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Ivan wrote: »

Perhaps now I can come over to the EvE forums and take turns commenting on how much of a wankstain on MMO's, EvE really is. I mean, since there isnt really any skill involved, its mainly just about using pre-set builds and having the necessary in-game skills to click shoot. Then let the computer fly around the enemies ship until one of you explodes. Yes, infinitely better than WoW.

Or perhaps, each MMO is made for a different niche market. And in order to call a player truly yours, you need to let them go and explore other MMOs. If they dont return, then it was never meant to be but if they do... then who cares, Warcraft is probably better off without those quitters anyways!

We were only having a laugh with him. He knows we don't really mean it. The Irish eve community is quite closely knit as there isn't too many of us. As i said myself i have played a huge amount of WoW and its a good game, i just got bored of it. We didn't come here to flame WoW, just to take the piss out of a fellow eve player (or ex-eve player)

But yeh, EVE takes more skill than WoW overall. But thats for another thread. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Statso wrote: »
    We were only having a laugh with him. He knows we don't really mean it. The Irish eve community is quite closely knit as there isn't too many of us. As i said myself i have played a huge amount of WoW and its a good game, i just got bored of it. We didn't come here to flame WoW, just to take the piss out of a fellow eve player (or ex-eve player)

But yeh, EVE takes more skill than WoW overall. But thats for another thread. :p

/shoo

/dance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Sorry for invading your forum but broken was ours first, and your welcome to come over to the Eve Online section and post your comments on Eve. Your opinion on Eve sounds like you played it for maybe a week and then left it alone, the fact that your only emphasising(sp?) on one aspect of the game shows this.

I would encourage you to take a break from your 'raids' and try out Eve again, here is a 14-Day Free Trial If you require any assistance in the game, if you choose to try it again, drop into the irish channel ingame or drop me a PM.

Again apologies for invading your forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Sorry for invading your forum but broken was ours first, and your welcome to come over to the Eve Online section and post your comments on Eve. Your opinion on Eve sounds like you played it for maybe a week and then left it alone, the fact that your only emphasising(sp?) on one aspect of the game shows this.

I would encourage you to take a break from your 'raids' and try out Eve again, here is a 14-Day Free Trial If you require any assistance in the game, if you choose to try it again, drop into the irish channel ingame or drop me a PM.

Again apologies for invading your forum.
    Hah, my forum, I like that... has a nice ring to it, I may use that in the future ;)

But just some background history... I was the one to suggest EVE have its own boards forum, Hobbes made the forum request thread, but I was the one that got the ball rolling. Asked in the MMO forums what people thought and made it alot easier to get people to support the forum when Hobbes made the forum request thread.

I also currently have 2 EvE accounts (although neither are currently active) a caldari pvp character with approximately 14 million skill points and a gallente industrial character with around 8 million skill points, that just finished training up the skills to fly Hulks when I last stopped playing.

My post, although meant somewhat in jest, was more aimed at the particularly snide comments from you guys regarding WoW. To me, these comments are systemic of the arrogant EvE attitude I have come to know and hate ;) An attitude that is further characterised by your belief that I couldnt possibly dislike your game, if I had played it for more than a week ;)

But the fact of the matter is, I dont dislike EvE. I dislike that I was promised Frontier Online and all I got was a fancy new screensaver. I dislike that I was promised a more mature player base, where we could do anything and everything together... but all I got were the same twits from other MMOs with a few holier-than-thou gits thrown into the mix. Most of all though, I hate clicking on "Orbit at" and then clicking fire or mine and waiting for the inevitable...

P.s. 'Raids > 'Rats > 'Roids any day of the week and twice on sundays :D

• Advertisement

Hah, my forum, I like that... has a nice ring to it, I may use that in the future ;)

It's nice isn't it ;)
    But just some background history... I was the one to suggest EVE have its own boards forum, Hobbes made the forum request thread, but I was the one that got the ball rolling. Asked in the MMO forums what people thought and made it alot easier to get people to support the forum when Hobbes made the forum request thread.

Sorry but it was regi and the irish room and hobbes that first discussed and rampantly screamed for the separate forum, your talking to
    hobbes may have been close to the time he made the request thread though.
    I also currently have 2 EvE accounts (although neither are currently active) a caldari pvp character with approximately 14 million skill points and a gallente industrial character with around 8 million skill points, that just finished training up the skills to fly Hulks when I last stopped playing.

Well right there you have a problem, caldari pvp character (sorry in game joke). Can I inquire when you stopped playing the game?
    My post, although meant somewhat in jest, was more aimed at the particularly snide comments from you guys regarding WoW. To me, these comments are systemic of the arrogant EvE attitude I have come to know and hate ;) An attitude that is further characterised by your belief that I couldnt possibly dislike your game, if I had played it for more than a week ;)

Well my comment is my general comment at things, an as statso said we are a tightly knit group in game. Tbh I realise not everyone will enjoy eve, as when I started I dragged a few mates with me also and not all took to it, some more recently have ventured back to it in the attempt to give it a second chance. To each their own I guess.
    But the fact of the matter is, I dont dislike EvE. I dislike that I was promised Frontier Online and all I got was a fancy new screensaver. I dislike that I was promised a more mature player base, where we could do anything and everything together... but all I got were the same twits from other MMOs with a few holier-than-thou gits thrown into the mix. Most of all though, I hate clicking on "Orbit at" and then clicking fire or mine and waiting for the inevitable...

This is where I feel your opinion fell short of justifying eve fairly, it is a lot more than point, click and orbit, especially in the bigger scheme of things when it comes to 0.0 and politics and now even in High Sec with the introduction of Factional Warfare. When you've taken part in even a 60 vs 60 ship fight come back with your modified opinion then. I'm not a fan of 1v1's as they usually don't present the necessary challenge in the game, larger engagements with some of the biggest ships in the game are the most invigorating and adrenaline rushing moments i've had while playing any game, but again eve isn't for everyone and if you don't like it there is not much I can do to change that.
    P.s. 'Raids > 'Rats > 'Roids any day of the week and twice on sundays :D

Ratting/Mining is boring i'll give you that, that's why ill stick to suicide ganking and make my isk through the stupidity of others. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

You can't compare the two and decide which is a better game. Each to their own. If you're a PvE person, WoW is probably for you, although there are some pretty sad cunts in EvE who get off on mining space rocks. If you like very complex PvP warfare, then EvE is for you. Small scale PvP, they both do pretty well. Either way, they're two different games and comparing them is retarded.

It's nice isn't it ;)

Sorry but it was regi and the irish room and hobbes that first discussed and rampantly screamed for the separate forum, your talking to
    hobbes may have been close to the time he made the request thread though.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055030342&highlight=time+forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055030896&highlight=online

Rest my case :p
    Well right there you have a problem, caldari pvp character (sorry in game joke). Can I inquire when you stopped playing the game?

Yes, this of course was before the missile nerf, and originally started out as a mission running, missile spitting machine. Then slowly I learned to pilot a manticore and develop reasonable bag of tricks so as to be useful in PvP. One of the reasons I dont play EvE anymore is because when I went back I found my Uber Caldari character was essentially useless.
    Well my comment is my general comment at things, an as statso said we are a tightly knit group in game. Tbh I realise not everyone will enjoy eve, as when I started I dragged a few mates with me also and not all took to it, some more recently have ventured back to it in the attempt to give it a second chance. To each their own I guess.

Sure, tightly knit, doesnt really explain coming to the WoW forum and badgering new players to the game and/or giving people a generally poor perception of EvE players... In-jokes are generally best reserved for PMs, private forums, and forums with a tight knit bunch of players... not on other forums with a large usuage and one of the highest amount of boards members, who have just signed up...
    This is where I feel your opinion fell short of justifying eve fairly, it is a lot more than point, click and orbit, especially in the bigger scheme of things when it comes to 0.0 and politics and now even in High Sec with the introduction of Factional Warfare. When you've taken part in even a 60 vs 60 ship fight come back with your modified opinion then. I'm not a fan of 1v1's as they usually don't present the necessary challenge in the game, larger engagements with some of the biggest ships in the game are the most invigorating and adrenaline rushing moments i've had while playing any game, but again eve isn't for everyone and if you don't like it there is not much I can do to change that.

The grand scheme of things is one of the reasons I started playing EvE. All those articles I would read about the great corporation robberys/espionage/battles and I wanted that. But you can only mine so many 'roids, kill so many 'rats before you need to decide whether the game is for you or not. And I'm sorry, but in my widely experienced opinion, the EvE "meta-game" sucks donkey balls... and that is pretty much all the average new player to EvE will ever see. This being one of the main reasons EvE has
    ~200,000 members to WoW's ~10million+
    Ratting/Mining is boring i'll give you that, that's why ill stick to suicide ganking and make my isk through the stupidity of others. :pac:

You need to reach a certain point of played time before that is financially viable, therefore I can only assume that you must have mined/rat'd for a minimum amount of time like everybody else. That minimum time is too much for me and most new EvE players...

Ass Face wrote: »
    You can't compare the two and decide which is a better game. Each to their own. If you're a PvE person, WoW is probably for you, although there are some pretty sad cunts in EvE who get off on mining space rocks. If you like very complex PvP warfare, then EvE is for you. Small scale PvP, they both do pretty well. Either way, they're two different games and comparing them is retarded.

Thats probably quite a fair assessment and while splitting these posts off of the original thread, I probably gave this new bastardised thread a very poor name...

As you can probably tell from the content of the posts, that thats not really what the discussion was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I mean, since there isnt really any skill involved, its mainly just about using pre-set builds and having the necessary in-game skills to click shoot. Then let the computer fly around the enemies ship until one of you explodes.

Most battles are decided long before anyone starts clicking their guns. Thats where the skill comes in.

• Advertisement

Bastid dumped his trash with me. [Moved to MM]

The skill is in knowing who you are going to fight, what ship they are going to be using and therefore how to counter it... long before you've ever fired a shot? Thats not skill, thats called being a good statistician ;)

And o/ R0ot :p

The skill is in knowing who you are going to fight, what ship they are going to be using and therefore how to counter it... long before you've ever fired a shot? Thats not skill, thats called being a good statistician ;)

And o/ R0ot :p

Alright, can you explain the skill in WoW please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

Oh Em Gee'erz!

Want to know something....it's a pointless argument. Fanboys from both sides will just blindly and mindlessly defend its preferred game. Whether the people currently here are fanboys is another matter :pac:

Skill....me laughs like lizard! More like amount of add-ons in these games.

Please, continue...

Alright, can you explain the skill in WoW please.

Speed, knowledge, timing, co-ordination

Using the right ability quickly enough
    Recognising an opponents ability and knowing the counter available to you
    Predicting use of abilities and thus countering
    Working with team-mates to shut down one or more characters

I realise a large part of what I've listed here, you are going to try to claim are within EvE too. But while I will agree, up to a point, at the end of the day, once the ultimate goal of locking down a ship and getting close to the target is complete, there is nothing to do but have the ship fly around automatically killing the target.

But I realise the pointless nature of this debate and will just have to let it go. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I think there should be an internet law similar to Godwins that states: the first person to say 'We'll just have to agree to disagree' concedes that he/she has lost the argument :D

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

I've played both, currently playing eve.

they're similar in so far as they're mmorpgs, skill is a loose term, they're not like FPSs. We all know it's all about stats in mmorpgs you just get to choose when to initiate someone, the probabilities take care of the rest.

The content in WOW is huge, loads of areas, loads to look at. Class based RPG type stuff.

while eve has "classes" you're not restricted as you can train any skill, it's just a matter of how long it will take you. I like that about eve, very open ended. I also like that it's one continuous universe, gives you a real sense you can make a difference.

omg though, you eve lads like to fight amongst yourselves, holy crap. lol.

plus, as I'm on limited time, you get the sense you're progessing in eve while you're not logged in. set a skill to train to off you go for a few days. getting in very little time these days. maybe that's why I left WOW, didn't have the time to invest.

anyways, we're all nerds and it's embarrassing to think you're trying to impress anyone by scoring points because someone is nerding out in a different fashion to yourself. It's your own money, subscribe to whatever floats your boat.

"lets just agree to disagree" classic.

Speed, knowledge, timing, co-ordination

Using the right ability quickly enough
    Recognising an opponents ability and knowing the counter available to you
    Predicting use of abilities and thus countering
    Working with team-mates to shut down one or more characters

I realise a large part of what I've listed here, you are going to try to claim are within EvE too. But while I will agree, up to a point, at the end of the day, once the ultimate goal of locking down a ship and getting close to the target is complete, there is nothing to do but have the ship fly around automatically killing the target.

But I realise the pointless nature of this debate and will just have to let it go. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And this is where you seem to have missed a huge part of the game, politics! The sovereignty system creates vast power blocks which very frequently war with each other taking each other space, some losing everything they have spent years building and sometimes coming back from the brink and retaking everything they have lost.

The risk in eve is what I feel separates it from WoW tbh, and if your wondering what I mean by risk play the game! :D

The sandbox that is Eve WoW doesn't even come close imo ofc. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

I've played both games and I don't see any point in comparing them simply because they are far too different. Like EL_Loco said they are similar only in that they are both MMOs. Its like how Star Wars and LoTR are similar, because they are both a trilogy of films (ignoring the SW prequels), but they are very different in genre, setting, story, style, etc. However they are both very epic. This is how I see Eve and WoW.

The reason why I was drawn toward Eve more so was because of the feeling in the game that what you, a single individual player, do can have an actual impact on the game and the rest of its players. Weather that involves flooding the Jita market hub with a particular ship part or being the lone Interdictor pilot who tackles an enemy Titan class ship in time for the rest of your fleet warping in, killing it, and turning the tide in a territory war for a large chunk of the Eve map. You can actually become famous in Eve for actions that you take, and that is really appealing to a lot of its players.

I don't believe the statement that there is no skill involved in Eve combat. Simply clicking "Orbit" on an enemy ship, then turning on your guns will get you killed and fast. Eve requires skills in flying your ship, knowing when to get in an enemy's face or microwarping away to get into a tactically better range, how to take the best orbiting path to get the most out of your ship's transversal velocity, whats the best speed to be at, when should you turn on an electronic warfare module and still have enough cap to finish the fight, theres tons of things involved in combat. You also need knowledge of the game's mechanics and ships. Eve PVP is very different to most other combat games and takes time to understand.

Also comparing WoW raids to Eve NPC ratting is ridiculous. Comparing a 40 man WoW raid to a 40 vs 40 Eve fleet fight is more accurate. And tbh in my opinion the Eve fight will be a far more exciting experience. But like I said at the start of the post, they will be very different and people like different games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Thats all nonsense. Maddzy just made all that up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I have an active wow and 2 active eve accounts.

I started eve before wow. I like both games for different reasons.

I like eve because of the adrenaline rush as you know your stuff is on the line, you don't just re-spawn 20 secs later. I like the feeling of triumph when you get the kill, its a real sense of accomplishment. I like the whole stat whore thing as well. I like the atmosphere of eve, it is harsh.
    I don't like eve because of when you want some small scale fights you have to roam about for 3 hours avoiding 20-man gate camps for 5 minutes of pvp ecstasy. Don't get me wrong its worth it but is a 3 hour hunt necessary?

I like wow because its nice and direct. If I want to raid I click the LFG button. If I want to pvp I go the arena masters. I can get that instance satisfaction while still having the bigger goals to work towards. I have to admit that when I started wow i did feel that the pvp was more simplistic than eve but I was wrong. I was really limited in my higher game pvp. But then I met this guy who took me through my talent build my bindings and my tactics and the game just completely opened up I really got a new angle on the game.
    I don't like the lack of consequence in wow, if you die, "oh well, click the re-spawn button" Also AV is not pvp its normal game play, some pve with a chance to get jumped by some passing opposite faction.

Anyone who claims that wow pvp lacks depth obviously has never gotten fully into it the same way that a lot of eve'ers claim that if you don't give eve a decent go you will never appreciate it. The same goes for both games.

Admittedly wow lacks the long term strategic goals of eve, (conquering and holding territory) but most wow'ers don't want that. Also I am so glad I rolled on a PvPRP server as I have no 12 years old jumping round me going "ZOMG giv gold plzthxbye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 displeaser

Silly to argue with evangelists of any faith, they cant see the wood for the trees at the best of time.

A lot has been mentioned about WOW's PVP content, arena(2v2,3v3,5v5, battlegrounds, world pvp) but not so much about the pve content which is as much part of the game as anything else. As a raid leader, managing 25 people, their skills and abilities and making a successful raid is amazing fun and takes a lot of skill, especially for certain PVE bosses such as Kaelthos, LAdy vashj, Kalecos etc. To the person who mentioned about 2 groups going to war in eve, maybe you have never been online in wow when 3 40 man raids from the horde descend on stormwind, and the aftermath of raids that follow for days afterwards.

From what I see of the above discussion, the people supporting eve have in general no conception that others may prefer a different game, or get more from a different game then they would from eve. I would ask these people to open their minds a bit to the concept that maybe they're opinion is not actual gospel and that there are other options, and if people choose something that they don't choose, doesn't make that person automatically wrong. I think some in the Wow camp are similar.

Each to their own and everyone's preference should be respected.
    Dissy

Whoa whoa whoa, did you just say that raids in WoW are as complex as a war in eve? If so step back there and look at that again. Wars in eve are a lot like wars in real life. Logistical nightmares. Supplies such as ammo, ship equipment, fuel, towers for claiming systems and ships all need to be manufactured/bought and shipped to the target systems. Such a brief summary of it all makes it seem simple but its anything but. The amount of work that has to go into a war in eve on all levels, from logistics to production to financial to military all far outweigh a WoW raid which is learning patterns of a raid and then farming the boss.

You say managing 40-120 people takes a lot of skill from the raid leader. In EvE thats a standard fleet fight nevermind the large ones where hundreds of pilots clash against each other with FC's and sub FC's controlling the action. Even the day to day running of alliances is a huge task that requires constant effort and tasks (I know this because i am myself a director in my corp and also part of leadership in the IRON alliance) For complexity, smarts needed, tactical solutions, effort taken and genuine leadership and business qualities needed EvE far outshines WoW. WoW gives instant relief and has no penalties for death, in eve losing everything you own could always happen today or tomorrow depending on events. EvE is living on the edge, taking risks and an interesting insight into morality and its many shades of grey, WoW is a comfort zone with guarenteed safety and good clean fun. To each their own.

displeaser wrote: »
    To the person who mentioned about 2 groups going to war in eve, maybe you have never been online in wow when 3 40 man raids from the horde descend on stormwind, and the aftermath of raids that follow for days afterwards.

I'm curious to the average player numbers on each WoW server, I imagine its about 7-8k correct me if i'm wrong please.

Eve has one server averaging about 30k people logged in with upwards of 42k (so far 42711 is the record). When we talk about two groups going to war this is usually multiple alliances of thousands of players fighting for space, with some space battles taking place without 600 people (or more) involved in one fight, and this can be on a daily basis, most fights would average out to maybe 200 vs 200 or so and then smaller engagements taking place before and after larger engagements between the support elements of fleets.

You also have another huge side to almost every war in Eve, espionage, spies or various forums of propaganda are a huge part of the nature of Eve and although annoying play an important role in every major incident in Eve.

The closest thing to a raid in my view in Eve is a complex or exploration sites which is a relatively new feature in Eve, usually run in groups on the harder ones some can be run solo though, or one player running a few accounts.

Honestly we have nothing in Eve thats really like the raids against NPC's like you have, but NPC's are not why I play Eve. I play for the PVP side and the politics side. I know people that play strictly to undermine corporations and alliances or pull of scams and come away will billions of isk in corp/alliance assets, I know people that play to mine and build ammo/ships/modules for other players and play with the market against other players or even playing the stock market, hell some people play just to troll the forums. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Glippo

(I know this because i am myself a director in my corp and also part of leadership in the IRON alliance)

LoL-Zor

Glippo wrote: »
    LoL-Zor

Typically great response from a BoB member. When is MAX coming to kill us all?

Its already in affect didn't ya know!? :D

I know i totally owned you...amirite,
    lol when is MAX starting, or when is it coming for IRON?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

The Eve community through and through. Can't even argue a discussion for their game without turning it into an alliance smackfest.

• Advertisement

Maddzy wrote: »
    The Eve community through and through. Can't even argue a discussion for their game without turning it into an alliance smackfest.

Dont blame them for my actions Maddzy, im just a wannabe Goon, with an insatiable need to smack

Advertisement