Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW vs. EvE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Maddzy wrote: »
    The Eve community through and through. Can't even argue a discussion for their game without turning it into an alliance smackfest.

^^ One thing i'll agree on the smack when it comes to the larger political influences in Eve is smacktacular. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Everyone knows that Wow is marketed for children, it just so happens that a particular type of adult is drawn towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Zillah wrote: »
    Everyone knows that Wow is marketed for children, it just so happens that a particular type of adult is drawn towards it.
    Uhmm, I'm falling off my chair as we speak...

And I love the "200 vs. 200 eve players, how does wow compete with that?" argument. The biggest pvp action I was involved with was about 80 players altogether. Combined with the number of normal players in the zone/system, I could barely watch as I got podded by someone who clicked fire before I could...

WoW's normal player base per server is in the region of 5-7k, EvE's normal player base per server is in the region of 200k+

WoW's maximum player base per zone is the server cap, EvE's maximum player base per server is in the region of what, 2k?

Granted WoW players generally dont all gravitate toward one zone, but some would say thats down to clever world design. Granted, some would say the reason Blizzard implemented Battlegrounds in WoW was because the total number of players in one zone was causing some servers to become unstable, but that problem has been resolved a long time ago and isnt really a factor. But correct me if I'm wrong and EvE no longer has issues with 2k+ people being in one zone, causing everyone in the zone to freeze... I have a character I'd like to excise from Jita.

The socio-political climate in EvE is certainly one of its most interesting aspects, but it is pretty difficult to get involved in this aspect of gameplay and for those that have no interest, there is very little else of substance.

The War effort aspect of gameplay, while heralded as a positive, most would see as a negative in EvE. Having to grind (or have others grind) for hours on end, in order to be able to take part in one of the BEST aspects of EvE gameplayer, its PvP, seems a mite hypocritical.

EvE is prettier, WoW is less like driving a nail through your temple repeatedly.
    EvE is more dynamic, WoW has much better NPC design.
    EvE has more risk versus reward gameplay, WoW has less "well, after 8 months of investing into this game, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and now I'm back at square 0 + 1/2".
    EvE has more mature players, WoW has less gits with a "holier-than-thou" attitude to new players and non-EvE players alike.

I could probably go on, but I wont. Instead I'll summarise for those of you EvE players that have already clicked quote with lightning speed and brimmed with nerdrage and are only now reading this as they come up with some witty come back such as "but we have less kids playing" and "yeah, but we get to grind for hours (or make some other poor sap grind for hours) so we can PvP MASSIVELY" and at the end of the day just say; marketed for children and a particular type of adult that is drawn towards it (which again is just lolz) aside, the numbers speak for themselves.

WoW's 10 million subscribers with even a healthy 60% retard ratio compared to EvE's 250,000 subscribers with a modest 30% retard ratio (and the unmentionable 20% "gits with their thumbs firmly wedged up their anus'") leaves only one clear winner.

Ladies and gentle EvE players, there has already been a vote and you lost... sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

For someone who thinks they are making a point by saying Eve players are "gits with their thumbs firmly wedged up their anus'" you sure come across as a git with your thumb firmly wedged up your anus with that post. Also Zillah was clearly baiting for a nerdrage reply and you supplied the lulz for that one. Also Eve has one server and its max players is 55k or something like that.

I really don't agree with the point people make about Eve taking too much effort to do anything. Its one of the only MMOs where a 1 hour old character can go into the richest, darkest, riskiest part of the game's map and even get kills (granted he'd have to be either incredibly lucky or the other guy incredibly afk). A one month old character in Eve can kill a 4 year old character if he plays his cards right. I don't think WoW has this kind of accesability. Also being killed in Eve isn't nearly as devastating as you are making it out. You lose your ship, possibly all your mods, and get pod killed if you don't make a hastey enough escape, but its hardly gonna ruin 8 months of hard work. At the most you'll need to spend a couple hours ratting up the isk, and 20 minutes buying/fitting the ship. There is an unwritten rule in Eve though, that you never fight in a ship you can't afford to lose.

Also you can play Eve without ever killing an NPC/grinding and still get involved in fights and fleet operations. It all depends on how you play the game. I think a lot of people try to play Eve like any other RPG, and it isn't like many other games. But like I always say people will play the games they like, I just don't think you should generalise your criticisms of Eve so much, especially when it appears you haven't played much of the game's different aspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Ivan wrote: »

And I love the "200 vs. 200 eve players, how does wow compete with that?" argument. The biggest pvp action I was involved with was about 80 players altogether. Combined with the number of normal players in the zone/system, I could barely watch as I got podded by someone who clicked fire before I could...

WoW's normal player base per server is in the region of 5-7k, EvE's normal player base per server is in the region of 200k+

WoW's maximum player base per zone is the server cap, EvE's maximum player base per server is in the region of what, 2k?

Granted WoW players generally dont all gravitate toward one zone, but some would say thats down to clever world design. Granted, some would say the reason Blizzard implemented Battlegrounds in WoW was because the total number of players in one zone was causing some servers to become unstable, but that problem has been resolved a long time ago and isnt really a factor. But correct me if I'm wrong and EvE no longer has issues with 2k+ people being in one zone, causing everyone in the zone to freeze... I have a character I'd like to excise from Jita.

The socio-political climate in EvE is certainly one of its most interesting aspects, but it is pretty difficult to get involved in this aspect of gameplay and for those that have no interest, there is very little else of substance.

The War effort aspect of gameplay, while heralded as a positive, most would see as a negative in EvE. Having to grind (or have others grind) for hours on end, in order to be able to take part in one of the BEST aspects of EvE gameplayer, its PvP, seems a mite hypocritical.

EvE is prettier, WoW is less like driving a nail through your temple repeatedly.
    EvE is more dynamic, WoW has much better NPC design.
    EvE has more risk versus reward gameplay, WoW has less "well, after 8 months of investing into this game, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and now I'm back at square 0 + 1/2".
    EvE has more mature players, WoW has less gits with a "holier-than-thou" attitude to new players and non-EvE players alike.

I could probably go on, but I wont. Instead I'll summarise for those of you EvE players that have already clicked quote with lightning speed and brimmed with nerdrage and are only now reading this as they come up with some witty come back such as "but we have less kids playing" and "yeah, but we get to grind for hours (or make some other poor sap grind for hours) so we can PvP MASSIVELY" and at the end of the day just say; marketed for children and a particular type of adult that is drawn towards it (which again is just lolz) aside, the numbers speak for themselves.

WoW's 10 million subscribers with even a healthy 60% retard ratio compared to EvE's 250,000 subscribers with a modest 30% retard ratio (and the unmentionable 20% "gits with their thumbs firmly wedged up their anus'") leaves only one clear winner.

Ladies and gentle EvE players, there has already been a vote and you lost... sorry :o

You done got trolled son.

• Advertisement

You appear to be basing your info on the player guide in eve, which is unfortunately way out of date.

Eve, as already said by maddzy, is one server over 5000 solar systems spread over numerous regions of High Security Empire space, low security Empire space and my favourite No-Security Lawless space where the players do whatever they want without consequence other than other players kicking them in the hole. :D

I won't say lag is none existent but its a lot better in the last year than its ever been. I've had a 200 vs 200 fleet fight with only load lag on warp in and the rest of the fight was fine, saying that the server can hiccup and i've seen lag in 40 vs 40 fight too, but not very often.

Well there are a lot of "holier-than-thou" people in Eve ill give ya that, but compared to every game i've played in my life it has the best community in regards to new players (obviously there is the odd asshat people meet) when I started I was approached with helpful advice from all around and not just from the irish lads who did give me a alot of help also and some isk. (<3 Jaggeh) :D

Jita is the black hole of the Eve universe, the problem isn't really the number of players in the system (although it is a factor) it is the sheer amount of market activity since its the largest trade hub, although tbh with the changes to undocking and a few other lag fixes Jita is quite playable albeit the odd day where the hamsters need changing.

Well since their are always more wow players due to the sheer amount of servers and essentially limitless funds from Blizzard compared to CCP, and the fact there are more wow'ers on boards than eve players a poll here doesn't do it justice, if every user that had played both games only cast a vote then sure that would be fair.

Simply put I enjoy eve as to a lot of other players, and lots of players enjoy WoW, and i've come to believe after reading this thread that the two games are on different playing fields, hard to compare validly, saying that i'll stick to my player created content sandbox game any day. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

I must get back to lvling my shadow priest sometime. It was the most fun I had on the intertubes.

Seriously though Eve is a terrible game, you spend hours questing for the evil Amarr empire to gather some dog tags off a old general you find in a space brothel all so you can buy some lazors for your new frigate only to get blown up by a exploiting ****** like glippo, who will get his dev mates to spawn him a giant ray gun and one shot you. Then he will laugh at you till you ragequit and go have a **** or something to cheer you up. Only you do the same thing over and over, day afer day, week after week, till you realise you have no life or friends and your thumb smells of poo.

I hate Eve Online.

For someone who thinks they are making a point by saying Eve players are "gits with their thumbs firmly wedged up their anus'" you sure come across as a git with your thumb firmly wedged up your anus with that post. Also Zillah was clearly baiting for a nerdrage reply and you supplied the lulz for that one. Also Eve has one server and its max players is 55k or something like that.

I never said WoW didnt have that type of player... me being one of them ;) Also the reason I liked EvE so much when I played it :p
    And I gave Zillah the response it deserved... a one-sentence reply ;)

Most of my response was directed at R0ots earlier comments, I was just too lazy to quote it.
    kyp_durron wrote: »
    You done got trolled son.

Err... thanks ;) Read above ^^ If you are saying all of ye're responses were trolls, then I can accept that. But otherwise, em... you are wrong :D
    R0ot wrote: »
    You appear to be basing your info on the player guide in eve, which is unfortunately way out of date.

No, I am basing my info on playing EvE many, many moons ago. Yes my information may be out of date, because I havent played in quite a while...
    Eve, as already said by maddzy, is one server over 5000 solar systems spread over numerous regions of High Security Empire space, low security Empire space and my favourite No-Security Lawless space where the players do whatever they want without consequence other than other players kicking them in the hole. :D

I never said EvE had more than one server. I was merely stating my believed figures of its capabilities.
    I won't say lag is none existent but its a lot better in the last year than its ever been. I've had a 200 vs 200 fleet fight with only load lag on warp in and the rest of the fight was fine, saying that the server can hiccup and i've seen lag in 40 vs 40 fight too, but not very often.

Again, outside the realm of my experiences.
    Well there are a lot of "holier-than-thou" people in Eve ill give ya that, but compared to every game i've played in my life it has the best community in regards to new players (obviously there is the odd asshat people meet) when I started I was approached with helpful advice from all around and not just from the irish lads who did give me a alot of help also and some isk. (<3 Jaggeh) :D
    Your definition of best community in regards to new players seems a little limited to me. But I will admit, there are great resources available to new players to EvE. Though not really much about PvP related subjects, as most of the people who are still in the NPC corps even though they are experienced enough to offer useful information, are there so they can continue to enjoy the starter corp protection. I can only assume because they are carebears and therefore can offer much help in that respect...

Jita is the black hole of the Eve universe, the problem isn't really the number of players in the system (although it is a factor) it is the sheer amount of market activity since its the largest trade hub, although tbh with the changes to undocking and a few other lag fixes Jita is quite playable albeit the odd day where the hamsters need changing.

In this case, the why doesnt really matter. Its the lack of getting this information to new players that might pass through this place and get horribly stuck... As it is though, most EvE players seem to have accepted this horrendous lag as an acceptable factor. Though, I am pleased to hear that it has improved significantly.
    Well since their are always more wow players due to the sheer amount of servers and essentially limitless funds from Blizzard compared to CCP, and the fact there are more wow'ers on boards than eve players a poll here doesn't do it justice, if every user that had played both games only cast a vote then sure that would be fair.

I would disagree with this for the most part (whats new says you :p)
    Part of an MMO is its appeal to new players. EvE has a concept that should interest anyone and everyone, when they first hear about it. The supposed freedom would excite any gamer when they first hear about it. As it did me, but the fact is it offers freedom in some more complex areas like politics, trading, scamming and pirating. Only to remove the most important freedom of all, your own movements. So most prospective players would hear about EvE, be intrigued, research it and then completely write it off without ever trying it. Personally I had heard about EvE for a long time, before I ever bothered to give it a go.
    Simply put I enjoy eve as to a lot of other players, and lots of players enjoy WoW, and i've come to believe after reading this thread that the two games are on different playing fields, hard to compare validly, saying that i'll stick to my player created content sandbox game any day. :rolleyes:

EvE is the mmo that I have played the 2nd most after WoW. Considering how much gaming/MMO'ing I do, that is a serious amount of gametime ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Glippo

kyp_durron wrote: »
    I must get back to lvling my shadow priest sometime. It was the most fun I had on the intertubes.

Seriously though Eve is a terrible game, you spend hours questing for the evil Amarr empire to gather some dog tags off a old general you find in a space brothel all so you can buy some lazors for your new frigate only to get blown up by a exploiting ****** like glippo, who will get his dev mates to spawn him a giant ray gun and one shot you. Then he will laugh at you till you ragequit and go have a **** or something to cheer you up. Only you do the same thing over and over, day afer day, week after week, till you realise you have no life or friends and your thumb smells of poo.

I hate Eve Online.

/me nods
    Wonga kaahar has infiltrated and exposed my devious operations.
    I salute thee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

BAM big picture

wow_fisherman_1024.jpg

• Advertisement

LearningCurve.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i dont get this whole grinding for hours thing in eve?

all my battleship (and some needed T2) losses are insured by my corp....

i havent spent 1 isk of my own money since i bought 5 BS in january

jaggeh wrote: »
    i dont get this whole grinding for hours thing in eve?

all my battleship (and some needed T2) losses are insured by my corp....

i havent spent 1 isk of my own money since i bought 5 BS in january
    Sweet... so your corp will insure my ships too. That rocks!

Actually all players can insure their ships, it doesn't matter what corp you are in. But that was some nice sarcasm.

Thanks and yes I'm aware that you can insure your ships. But it is costly and/or doesnt recoup a large portion of the investment in the ship.

And yes, I've heard the "you shouldnt fly something you cant afford to lose" which is mildly retarded in my opinion, but thats another story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Glippo

Thanks and yes I'm aware that you can insure your ships. But it is costly and/or doesnt recoup a large portion of the investment in the ship.

And yes, I've heard the "you shouldnt fly something you cant afford to lose" which is mildly retarded in my opinion, but thats another story :)

Well tell us that story if you wouldnt mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Actually if your in a half decent corp losing a t1 ship or the more popular t2 ships doesn't cost you anything except the more expensive fittings. My corp has such a system and it covers reinsuring your ship.

Statso wrote: »
    Actually if your in a half decent corp losing a t1 ship or the more popular t2 ships doesn't cost you anything except the more expensive fittings. My corp has such a system and it covers reinsuring your ship.

Can i be in your corp ;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

bizmark wrote: »
    Can i be in your corp ;/

I made you that offer before and you turned me down so no bitch you cant. :P

Mamo shall hear of this outrage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

lol. the struggle between eve and wow players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

bizmark wrote: »
    Can i be in your corp ;/

You can join mine babeh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I really dont gets this whole beef shiit tbh. Yes i know where it came from, a few eve people came to the wow forum to troll.. Well yes.. Well done. And im sure the opposite was done...

2x3i0d02mj2l2slodeo1.jpg

At the end of the day who's winning ? The more people that support that game..... Well... You both won...

Im a wow player, and we both have a huge fan base... Does it matter who has more ? No it really dosent.

Ive played eve for all of 2 weeks, yeah i had fun, not a bad game at all. And ive played wow for for 9 months, and im sure ivan hates me for playing the game ;) Hes still a fag :-> ( crist im joking)

Common tho, wow and eve are both good games.

How about we agree to disagree ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

And yes, I've heard the "you shouldnt fly something you cant afford to lose" which is mildly retarded in my opinion, but thats another story

Whats the other option? Spend everything you have on the uberest T2 HAC kitted out with officer gear and T2 rigs and lose it to a gate camp and have exactly 0.0 left in your wallet?

PvP is the best way to make turn a large fortune into a small fortune because you are guaranteed to lose ships. If you run about pissing away ISK youll end up with.....no ISK. Its not WoW, if you die, you lose something - but you get to decide your maximum loss before you undock, choose wisely.

As a Caldari PvPer you know yourself that you can fly a T1 cruiser like a Blackbird, doing an awesome job for your gang, and lose only chump change each time you lose one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Savage Munky

Yay, blatent e-peenery! And not one - not two - but three moderators involved? Only Eve could do that. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I prefer drinking and having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I prefer drinking and having a laugh.

Nothing like a few drinks and having a laugh, while ganking in WoW :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Errah, I played Eve and I found it to be a brilliant game. But **** me, it robs you of your life! I'm so glad I stopped playing, tbh. There is a whole world out that window!

I used to drink alot while I played Eve, and got fairly incoherent on vent, does that count as having a life?

• Advertisement

I used to drink alot while I played Eve, and got fairly incoherent on vent, does that count as having a life?

Nope, not in the slightest :pac:

Advertisement