Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homes with Gas will soon have fibre broadband?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Is it true that as part of the goverment plan that houses connected to Bord Gáis network will soon have fibre broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Could this be anything to do with it? ive no idea...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0703/broadband.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

So thats what the phone like wire is in my gas meter box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Don't be divs people, the web site was taken down in 2005 .

http://www.auroratelecom.ie/

all Bord Gáis has is a 40km ring in Dublin , they have no legal wayleave for fibre in gas pipes .

If they could plumb Eamonn Ryans hole into the Gas network they could heat the whole of Drogheda with it all winter .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

All gas lines does have fibre layed also so I presume they have finally decided to make use of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No they don't

Many gas trunk pipelines supposed to have fibre but some only have empty ducts. I don't think ANY of the domestic gas pipes to house have either ducts or fibre.

The ESB has done much more fibre than Bord Gais, but only at the trunks/distribution level, not to homes from substation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

watty wrote: »
    No they don't

It said it on the news. There is dark fibres layed with gas and now the goverment wants to make use of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Skyuser wrote: »
    It said it on the news. There is dark fibres layed with gas and now the goverment wants to make use of them.

The journalist and their editors are evidently morons if they said that .

There is no DARK fibre or sad to say LIT fibre along the gas pipes.

Ryans NGN wafflefest was bad but nowhere in it was it said there was any dark fibre along or inside any gaspipe although they alluded to empty ducts laid alongside the Ennis-Galway-Athlone-Dublin pipe . These ducts were laid 6-8 years ago and are empty .

There are two high capacity fibres in parallel that are lit , the BT owned Western Digital Corridor and the ESB fibre ring . To keep it simple I will observe that there is plenty of capacity Ennis - Galway - Athlone - Dublin , eg along the N18 and then the N6 - N4 .

Unfortunately the dept failed to address the thorny issues of easements and wayleaves which will require statutory changes from Ryan with his energy hat on as Minister for Gas .

The news, in short, was complete ****e. Please read the Gas Act 1976 Skyuser and the Misc Energy Act that amended it in 1995 . Once you have then you will hopefully understand , OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

watty wrote: »
    No they don't

Many gas trunk pipelines supposed to have fibre but some only have empty ducts. I don't think ANY of the domestic gas pipes to house have either ducts or fibre.

The ESB has done much more fibre than Bord Gais, but only at the trunks/distribution level, not to homes from substation.

OR
    Most gas trunk pipelines supposed to have fibre but only have empty ducts?

I was being too generous.

Advertisement