Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

malaria tablets?

• 03-07-2008 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭

hi, just asking for advice.
    im headin to south africa in 2days, from there to botswana's chobe NP,down the zimbabwe border over to mozambique's town manica, from there along the coast to maputo, and from there to kruger NP.then back to johannsberg.all this covered in bout 3weeks.
    will i need malaria tablets for the entire journey, or just a week or so?
    cheers for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Bear in mind you probably should have gotten quite a few shots to travel to these places. If you did and your consultant didn't bring up malaria then I would be reluctant to use them again. If you didn't then I think you should seek medical advice ASAP.

Anywhoo, quoted from www.tmb.ie.

South Africa
    Vaccines for SOUTH AFRICA
    Recommended For All Travellers
    Tetanus
    Hepatitis A
    Typhoid
    Trekking
    Hepatitis B
    Rabies
    Rural
    Tuberculosis
    Meningococcal Meningitis
    Diarrhoea
    Malaria Information
    W.H.O. report malaria transmission in this country in certain areas. Prophylaxis may be recommended in some circumstances. Please consult your Doctor or Travel Clinic.

Botswana
    Vaccines for BOTSWANA
    Poliomyelitis
    Tetanus
    Hepatitis A
    Typhoid
    Trekking
    Hepatitis B
    Meningococcal Meningitis
    Rabies
    Rural
    Tuberculosis
    Malaria Information
    W.H.O. report malaria transmission in this country in certain areas. Prophylaxis may be recommended in some circumstances. Please consult your Doctor or Travel Clinic.

Mozambique
    Vaccines for MOZAMBIQUE
    Tetanus
    Poliomyelitis
    Hepatitis A
    Typhoid
    Trekking
    Hepatitis B
    Rabies
    Meningococcal Meningitis
    Rural
    Tuberculosis
    Cholera
    Malaria Information
    W.H.O. report malaria transmission throughout the country. Prophylaxis recommended for all Travellers. Please consult your Doctor or Travel Clinic.

Zimbabwe
    Vaccines for ZIMBABWE
    Tetanus
    Poliomyelitis
    Hepatitis A
    Typhoid
    Trekking
    Hepatitis B
    Rabies
    Rural
    Tuberculosis
    Diphtheria
    Meningococcal Meningitis
    Malaria Information
    W.H.O. report malaria transmission in this country in certain areas. Please consult your Doctor or Travel Clinic.

Tbh, if it was me I'd take them the whole time but I'm a bit paranoid about this sort of thing. Also, you'll almost certainly be prescribed Malarone or Doxycycline in which case you'll have to take the tablets for a week or four weeks respectively after you leave the malaria zone. I think they also need ot be taken a few days before so get onto a doctor or the Tropical Medical Bureau immediately!

Advertisement