Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Omnibus/Arts International: Subject choices

Options
  • 03-07-2008 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I've applied for Arts International (French) and also the omnibus option, hopefully to do Archaeology, French and maybe History or Irish. I heard that it's not always a sure thing that you get all of the subjects you want. Does anyone have experience of this, and how likely are you to end up doing subjects you're not interested in just because the others are full? Does it work on a first-come-first-served basis?
    Also: are the class sizes really as huge as people seem to think they are?
    Thanks for the help...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Well with regards to class size it changes (sometimes dramatically) depending on your subject choice. Economics, for example, in first year is quite big (500 in a lecture theatre). I believe the numbers registered in the introductory micro and macro modules was about 900+. History would also be quite big I would imagine. There are quite a few people on here who read history so they could hopefully post about numbers for that.

Year one module selection is done on a first come basis (except for electives) with regards to picking core subjects. You also have to take into account that subjects are divided into 6 blocks, so you may be unable to combine certain choices. For choosing subjects after year one you use a form like this. Fill the form in and hand it in on time and you should get your preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    History would also be quite big I would imagine. There are quite a few people on here who read history so they could hopefully post about numbers for that.

In first year there are about 5-600 in History and this drops off to 4-450 for second year if thats a help. You should do Classics. Loads of Archaeology classes and History classes. The benefits of a classical education are priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Have you tried getting in touch with the Arts programme office? They might be able to help you with some of your queries, though it depends on who you talk to. You could also try asking the individual schools. Contact details are all to be found (somewhere!) on the UCD website!

I did French with history and economics in first year (back before the system changed!) and it was quite a work load. It may have changed somewhat in the meantime; I know for definite that the number of history assignments has decreased dramatically compared with my day! :D

You can always choose individual modules if you don't want to take all the courses. Just make sure that you sign up for tutorials as there've been problems with the on-line system 'forgetting' to tell students to register for tutorials! :rolleyes:

Advertisement