Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So are fans cool or what?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

So my 9 month old 360 hit me with the redness last night and hopefully it'll be UPS'd tomorrow. Like everyone else this has happened to, I'm pretty frustrated with it all. In the short time I've had it, I've enjoyed it thoroughly. I've loads of great games, love Xbox Live, system link sessions, XBLA - all good. Now this s**t. Out of nowhere. I keep reading about people getting their 360s repaired 3-4-5 times. Funk that. I don't want a Wii or PS3 but I hate the thoughts of babysitting a console. I've read a lot of contradiction online about cooling fans. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience/input on them? Are they worth a punt? Is there a chance they'll worsen the over-heating problem? Is there any concrete evidence to prove/disprove their purpose?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

from what I've read, the actually draw more power so are more likely to cause overheating probs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive read mixed things too, although i have them on mine. I guess the question is how many people got RROD and have the fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Justlikemike

kaimera wrote: »
    from what I've read, the actually draw more power so are more likely to cause overheating probs.

Yeah I know, makes sense - think you might be able to get models that run off the mains independently though but that sounds brutal. More plugs, more noise.
    faceman wrote: »
    I guess the question is how many people got RROD and have the fans?

Yeah, what he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

If it's 9 months old can you not just take it back from whence it came and exchange it? that's what I did at gamestop (twice) it saves on waiting 3 to 11 :D weeks to get it back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If it's 9 months old can you not just take it back from whence it came and exchange it? that's what I did at gamestop (twice) it saves on waiting 3 to 11 :D weeks to get it back!

From a statutory perspective, you are entitled to bring a faulty electrical item back to the store upto 6 years from the date of purchase, as long as you have proof of purchase. Not many people know this, including shop assistants!

• Advertisement

Can't find the god damn receipt!! I've turned the place upside down and no joy - I have a receipt for everything else of course, grrrrr, makes me wanna try chew my own face with frustration. Had a bit of a clear out here about 3 weeks ago and I'm resolved to the fact that somebody must of chucked it out. Anyway, my 360 packed up and left on it's holidays to Germany yesterday so fingers crossed there'll be no wires crossed or I'll be so cross.
    faceman wrote: »
    From a statutory perspective, you are entitled to bring a faulty electrical item back to the store upto 6 years from the date of purchase, as long as you have proof of purchase. Not many people know this, including shop assistants!

Ha, I got it in Xtravision and they said it was only covered within a 28 day period when I phoned them. Though, maybe if I found the receipt they'd change their tune. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Ha, I got it in Xtravision and they said it was only covered within a 28 day period when I phoned them. Though, maybe if I found the receipt they'd change their tune. Maybe.

Nope once it goes past the 28 days they'll only offer to ship it back to MS they won't swap it for a new console.

Hahaha, Ian Beale, deadly. Yeah, thought as much. This is goin off point though. I was just interested in seeing how many people with fans still got a visit from the RROD fairy?

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Nope once it goes past the 28 days they'll only offer to ship it back to MS they won't swap it for a new console.

I think you can insist and you may get some luck there as the first year of a purchase should be covered by the place you bought it from. The 28 day thing is just if you change your mind about a purchase, not for faulty goods!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

kaimera wrote: »

Considering the power brick is external to the system that's unlikely to be a problem.

• Advertisement

I think you can insist and you may get some luck there as the first year of a purchase should be covered by the place you bought it from. The 28 day thing is just if you change your mind about a purchase, not for faulty goods!

Yes it is covered by them but its their choice, you can't insist on a replacement there and then.Its their choice of repair/replace/refund once the 28 days are gone they send them off for repairs.

On topic I remember reading an article about external cooling fan attachments causing a build up of more heat because it interferes with the airflow inside the case.Just keep it flat down with space around it and dust the vents every now and again and you should be fine.

On topic I remember reading an article about external cooling fan attachments causing a build up of more heat because it interferes with the airflow inside the case.Just keep it flat down with space around it and dust the vents every now and again and you should be fine.

I always kept it standing vertical. I thought that way, I'd be leaving the greatest possible area mass for the heat to escape from. I read an interview about 5/6 months ago with a "Microsoft ex-employee" involved in the original production of the 360 and he said the same thing but who knows how valid that is I suppose.

I always kept it standing vertical. I thought that way, I'd be leaving the greatest possible area mass for the heat to escape from. I read an interview about 5/6 months ago with a "Microsoft ex-employee" involved in the original production of the 360 and he said the same thing but who knows how valid that is I suppose.

It would probably run a little cooler standing up I just prefer it flat down,less chance of the drive scratching the discs :D

It would probably run a little cooler standing up I just prefer it flat down,less chance of the drive scratching the discs :D

The only way it's gonna scratch discs really is if you move it when it's reading a disc. There's absolutely no evidence to say having it vertical will scratch discs.

Advertisement