Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where are all the L plated cars?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

Cant see any topics specifically related to the enforcement of the new provisional laws, just on their positive or negative effects so...

Bit of a random question but I'm just curious as to what's happened to all the provisional drivers? I've been out of the country for the last two months and only arrived home yesterday, in two days of driving since, about 120minutes around various parts of Dublin, I've seen two L plated cars total.

According to http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0702/1214949259240.html there are 330,000 people on permits and 92,000 on a second provisional - have all of these people really stopped driving or is everyone just taking down their plates?

Are the gardai actually enforcing the new laws? Has anyone seen random checkpoints during daytime or heard of people on provisionals being done? I'm finding it hard to believe all of those drivers just suddenly stopped driving...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They haven't stopped driving. They have taken off their plates to avoid being caught, smart eh?

I have seen a few L drivers being told to walk home and leave their cars at the side of the road, particularly around Thurles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

seen plenty around today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Well its an offense to drive without a driver and without L plates. In all honesty i think most of them are just taking down their L plates to look less suspicious. I have two learner friends that have done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

NiSmO wrote: »
    They were told to walk because they had no qualified driver with them. There was a big checkpoint in Thurles yesterday, so they are enforcing it.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Or you're just a tosser that does'nt mind driving around uninsured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

groupb wrote: »
    Or you're just a tosser that does'nt mind driving around uninsured.
    Not having L-plates or not having a licensed driver with you doesn't void your insurance. The third party will always be able to claim from you if you have a policy.

Unfortunitly it generally doesn't void any claims for damages to your own car either. I wish insurance companys would sort this out.

++ edit - beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Warning for groupb ...easy on the insults

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 volkagirl

In relation to Learners drivers not been able to drive alone anymore, one must remember that this law has always been in place albeit never enforced and I for one think its a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kingcurls

its a good thing but its being pushed on to heavy handed now people depend on driving to get places and now d-day has arrived and people can either not get tests or are failing the current test for something like not looking around enough when reversing around a corner...like thats going to save lives...having said that i passed my test on the day the law came in so WUU HOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

kingcurls wrote: »
    its a good thing but its being pushed on to heavy handed now people depend on driving to get places and now d-day has arrived and people can either not get tests or are failing the current test for something like not looking around enough when reversing around a corner...like thats going to save lives...having said that i passed my test on the day the law came in so WUU HOOOO

Tbh it's a rule that you shouldn't drive unaccompanied without a fully licenced driver. The rule is only now enforced, or so they say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You seem to have a rather cavalier attitude to obeying thew law Nismo.

Get wise, pass the test or drive suitably accompanied.

Perhaps the prospects of detection and a €2k fine are simply not a problem for you? (you've mentioned your new Golf was a gift and a new M5 in the family).

In that case maybe it'd be no harm if you were caught several times? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I'm guessing this is the guards softly, softly approach: "If you walk home, we won't hit you with the €1000 fine. Don't do it again."

L drivers should also beware that if they are in an accident with no plates up, even if it's 100% the other drivers fault, they will be in a very weak position if the other driver goes to court. "Yes your honour, I'm on a provisional, on my own, with no plates up, but the accident was totally the fault of this middle aged man coming out of your golf club".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭blackbox

kingcurls wrote: »

"not looking around enough when reversing around a corner" - well actually yes, that could end up in a fatality.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Technically "Insured in the Eyes of the State'

Uninsured in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

craichoe wrote: »
    Technically "Insured in the Eyes of the State'

What are you talking about?
    If you are involved in a collision you are insured regardless of whether or not you were accompnaied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Bullcrap. You're insured as long as you haven't misled or lied to the insured, fullstop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I wish they'd check for fake licences while they were at it.

Atleast L drivers passed a theory test, and didn't just buy a full licence.

They should check that and penalty should be very severe for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My cars at home. I walked to work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

From the thread in after hours
    eoghan104 wrote: »
    My friend mailed me this morning saying that a guy in his office got done last night. €1000 fine for not being accompanied and €1000 for having no L plates. He said there were checkpoints in Shankill Bray and Blackrock. They were asking drivers for license, tax and insurance. Did anyone see any of this?

I know the 'media' said the guards were going to go easy on this but I think the fact that a lot of learners took the plates off may have changed this.

@NiSmO and all the other no-plates guys, looks like you'll get done anyway so save youself a grand and put 'em back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ezpz

I think all learners where givin plenty of notice to get their affairs in order so any1 who couldnt be bothered to get their test by now should be taken off the road,as for them that did do one and failed i feel sorry for them but if your not able to drive safely for 1 hour you should'nt be driving nither

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

What are you talking about?
    If you are involved in a collision you are insured regardless of whether or not you were accompnaied.

Nope, i'm not, you can have insurance, i.e. you get stopped and your NCT is out, your still Insured, however if you have a claim and you NCT is out or something violates you policy you are not covered.

Having an Insurance policy in force and claiming on that policy are two completely different things.

I.E. same with the thousands of Polish drivers on the road, they are still technically 'Insured' but in the event of a claim their own policy will not pay out unless its specifically within the terms of that agreement.

Essentially the Gardai cannot take your insurance policy and checkout what your covered for, all they care about is that you have a cert with Details such as registration number, description etc of the vehicle.

I could have Third Party fire and theft for riding a Donkey that has a clause saying it covers me to drive any car however the gardai would just want to see a letter saying that there is a policy in for to drive the vehicle i am in, they wouldn't really care what the 'donkey policy' covers

Its totally hit and miss, but in general an Insurer will not cover a payout in the event that you should not have been there in the first place under those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ezpz wrote: »
    I think all learners where givin plenty of notice to get their affairs in order so any1 who couldnt be bothered to get their test by now should be taken off the road,

I could not agree with you more. Not one bit.

I on the other hand have pity for the learner drives who are not allowed do there test. My affairs are in order, i've had five months notice, leave me do my test

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Passed a garda checkpoint in Rathfarnham this morning, it looked like they were targetting unaccompanied learners as they had a couple of L-platers parked on the side of road waiting to be checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I think the majority of them are staying off the roads. I was behind a micra driving to work this morning and you could see the outline of the L plates left on the window, not only that you could see the imprint of the L on the window?? :confused:

Anyway they could have passed for all I know, they seemed to be driving grand.

Well if there's one thing for sure you can bet any of those L drivers driving around without L plates up are going to be very carefull not to draw attention to themselves. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nope, i'm not, you can have insurance, i.e. you get stopped and your NCT is out, your still Insured, however if you have a claim and you NCT is out or something violates you policy you are not covered.

Having an Insurance policy in force and claiming on that policy are two completely different things.

I.E. same with the thousands of Polish drivers on the road, they are still technically 'Insured' but in the event of a claim their own policy will not pay out unless its specifically within the terms of that agreement.

Essentially the Gardai cannot take your insurance policy and checkout what your covered for, all they care about is that you have a cert with Details such as registration number, description etc of the vehicle.

I could have Third Party fire and theft for riding a Donkey that has a clause saying it covers me to drive any car however the gardai would just want to see a letter saying that there is a policy in for to drive the vehicle i am in, they wouldn't really care what the 'donkey policy' covers

Its totally hit and miss, but in general an Insurer will not cover a payout in the event that you should not have been there in the first place under those circumstances.

I'm baffled by your response to be honest. It makes no sense, your insurance company will cover a third party claim if you're involved in an accident, they will pay out. You contradict yourself numerous times, on the one hand you say in your example regarding the NCT, that you are "insured", and then you turn around and say that if you make a claim you wont be insured????
    So just to clarify, if a driver on a learner permit is driving unaccompanied, and they are involved in a collision, they are insured and the insurance company will pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Nope, i'm not, you can have insurance, i.e. you get stopped and your NCT is out, your still Insured, however if you have a claim and you NCT is out ......you are not covered.

I really hope that you don't work in the industry. If your NCT is expired you're still covered by your policy.
    There's no such thing as being 'technically' insured but not being able to make a claim, you're either insured or not, simple as.

Advertisement