Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I ask my flatmate to move out?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi

I rent an apartment and have been here a few years, a new person moved in a while ago and we don't click at all, she's a lovely person but a nightmare to live with, twice I've come home to the door wide open, luckily nothing taken, she's very messy and her room actually smells - basically I could go on and on with the list and our other flatmate agrees with me.

To cut a long story short can I ask her to leave? It's not my house but I am the only one of the three of us on the lease cos it was signed before the other two moved in. If I wasn't here so long I'd move out myself. The landlord leaves us to it and I pay the rent and deal with him, and I got the other two to move in.

Advice very welcome please :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ask her in a nice way.
    I once was in the same situation, in my case the scary cow was holding dinner parties for her friends (we were not invited) and then piling the dishes outside our bedrooms to be cleaned up (in her mind it was our turn to do the dishes).
    She had to go, sometimes you just have to put the foot down no matter how unpleasant it is.
    These days i don't share with anyone, too old to deal with the loons out there!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

If you are on the lease then the buck would stop with you (if, say, the rent wasn't paid.....therefore IMO you have every right to ask her (politely) to leave.

don't hold back, do it, get it over with and get her out. Bear in mind you may have issues with regards to her paying rent for the period of notice potentially (unless you are holding a deposit?) - she could prove to be a pain so prepare yourself for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If you are on the lease, and she isn't, that means she is not covered by tenant law but rather the "rent a room" law.

You can ask her to move out with "reasonable notice".

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Asking on boards is just a recipie for unreliable advice. In a situation like this you need to know you are standing on firm ground in case it gets nasty.

Contact PTRB/Threshold and ask EXACTLY what you have to do to get herout legally. As far as I know (and as I said check this out) she would be considered a licencee, and requires 30 days notice in writing for it to be all legal.

Licensees from the PTRB: http://www.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Licensees.doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

jackal wrote: »
    Contact PTRB/Threshold and ask EXACTLY what you have to do to get herout legally. As far as I know (and as I said check this out) she would be considered a licencee, and requires 30 days notice in writing for it to be all legal.

Licensees from the PTRB: http://www.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Licensees.doc

Yeah, I went through all this myself with a previous flatmate (sounds like the OP's flatmate!) and the licencee status sorted it for me.

Basically, if you're the lease holder and the other person isn't, you have all the power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Idea - Avoid making it personal if possible. Can you say your brother is coming back from Australia, or some other story like so. Best friend is back from the land of X. Creative visualization, Imagine her happy in another place. (like a promotion over someone in work) dont think that you are throwing her out, see her happy some where else.

Also - Tell her rents have gone down, good time to move now versus Sept.

Be nice to her its a difficult time for her now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

Thanks for all the replies. I will ask her nicely, I don't think she is comfortable here anyway and would be better off living with her friends.

I'll give her all the time she needs to find somewhere else and even help her do it! Wish it wasnt coming to this but it will turn into a worse situation if i let it go any longer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

Thanks for all the replies. I will ask her nicely, I don't think she is comfortable here anyway and would be better off living with her friends.

I'll give her all the time she needs to find somewhere else and even help her do it! Wish it wasnt coming to this but it will turn into a worse situation if i let it go any longer :(

That's the right attitude to take, if you let it go on relations will fester and it could turn nasty (have been in your situation on many occasions over the years), good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Ask her nicely, but put it in writing as set out in the PTRB document too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

i had this issue when i lived in my old place.

get your landlord behind you, i.e. fill him/her in on what you are going to do and why. then confront the person you want to get rid of.

advise them of what the problem is, advise them of having spoken to the landlord and advise them they are to be out in one month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alpha37509

Guys,
    I'm in a similar situation, I rent out rooms in my home and like the Poster above, things have become very difficult with one tennant and I want to ask them to leave. The only thing is they'll probably say NO and then stop paying rent/bills just to make things more difficult for me and probably eventually move out in 2-3 months.
    Is there anything I can do to get them out in a month or do I have to just grin and bear it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Give them notice, then blackbag everything and change the locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dannysuir

i doubt u can rely on that rent a room scheme as some mentioned above. because u even though u hold the lease the PRTB will look at all the surrounding circumstances and find that they have just as many rights as you. say ur all paying an equal share of the rent , bill gives rise to a tenancy agreement.

Advertisement