Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a property in Connemara - advice

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

hi,im thinking of buying a property in conemara,the property is a family holiday home which was put up for sale 4 yrs ago at 750,000 which i think was over priced as there was not a lot of interest then and there is nothing biting at the moment.

i was told it has gone down 200k since then by a family member,it is not habitable at the mo and needs a lot of work doing to it.

i feel because of the way property has gone at the mo that it is now in my price range. I have 300k myself to put toward it and i would be a cash buyer if i sorted the mortgage on it.

I do not want to tell my family i want to buy it as i think they will want a fair price for it, its split between 4 people.I can get my solicitor to do the negotiating for me.Any advice appreciated.

any advice on what i could put in as an offer,if i have posted this in the wrong place i do apologise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

let me get this straight?
    you want to buy a home that is currently joint owned by 4 members of your family.
    to ensure you get the best price you are going to negotiate anonymously via your solicitor?

do you not see the problems this is going to cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭oil painting

subway wrote: »
    let me get this straight?
    you want to buy a home that is currently joint owned by 4 members of your family.
    to ensure you get the best price you are going to negotiate anonymously via your solicitor?

do you not see the problems this is going to cause?

No? i suppose there is a lot more to the story.The house was my granddads and he left it to 4 people,2 live in england,1 up north and the other in conemara. Im not close with any of them. I think this is the best way to go about it if i was to buy it but i think they would know at some stage it was me who was buying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I dont see any issue with what you are proposing. Why would they have an issue with you purchasing it?

I dont think they would have an issue,as long as they were getting the right money-they wont care who buys it.... i only decided the other day i really wanted it as the sentimental value is very strong for me...its sitting there deteriorating by the day and would need about 150k to do it up,it doesnt look like its going anywhere in this climate though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If thats the case then i dont see any reason why your solicitor cant handle this for you. Although from a cost perspective (as he will charge you for the privilege Im sure), it may be cheaper to have a friend negotiate with the estate agent on your behalf.

The estate agent will need your details I expect however.

• Advertisement

Thanks face man! i like your name!

yeah i was thinking that,at some stage they will see my name weather its on a cheque for the deposit,or the contracts. It doesnt really matter if they know its me really i just thought it would be less complicated.

Advertisement