Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using A Laser-Etch Machine To Brand Yourself

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Wonder how permanent that is. Nice accuracy and very fast. Could work well as a method for branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Doesn't look deep enough but i'm sure you could up the power on one of those machines. could be awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

*debates whether to send it to extreme forum*

you'd need to keep your hand steady as be damned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

These were done at 90% Power and 90% Speed on a standard system.
    Doesn't look deep enough but i'm sure you could up the power on one of those machines. could be awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Wilburt,

I would of post directly into the extreme section but I do not have access, can you grant this?
    Wilburt wrote: »
    *debates whether to send it to extreme forum*

you'd need to keep your hand steady as be damned

• Advertisement

I'm happy enough to leave it here as it is... :) it'd die if we sent it in there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Khannie wrote: »
    Wonder how permanent that is. Nice accuracy and very fast. Could work well as a method for branding.

Can be VERY permanent:(. And yes amazingemmet you can get far more powerful, and far faster systems (I help build them). Have a 5mm diameter scar on one finger where while operating with an active beam (~10W laser at that time) about 2 years ago my hand slipped for a fraction of a second, it litterally removed about a milimeter of skin in that patch, but the energy involved meant it also cauterised it so it neither bled nor hurt that much afterwards. So if one of the systems I work with can do that with the unfocussed beam I'm sure you get the idea of what the focussed beam would do to human flesh.
    At a guess he's probably got at most about a 4W laser on there (suspect it could be much less but 90% power does not mean 90% of the laser's output power if he's going by the laser's controller reading, instead it means 90% of the pumping power energising the laser. As such it's difficult to be sure.), you can get up to 30W lasers on the market at this point.

Not sure I'd recommend this to be honest as with a brand the damaged area doesn't extend much deeper then the brand goes, with a laser it could extend much deeper than you expect depending on wavelength, power, pulsewidth, focal depth of the system, etc...

Farohar, awesome stuff there, well done :D

obviously... DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME get a trained professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wilburt wrote: »
    Farohar, awesome stuff there, well done :D

obviously... DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME get a trained professional.

Quoted for truth...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Just so I don't get inundated with messages I am not a professional as regards using these systems in that fashion, to do images on metals and silicon yes, but not on flesh.:P

• Advertisement

BOFH139: Was it you in this clip or did you just take it from the sites? it's hit modblog

Advertisement