Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with...

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

creating a sphere in photoshop with a logo / image wrapped around it with the illusion of being slightly under the surface. Anyone know how to do this effectively, any tutorials etc would be good, thanks in advance for replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I'm not sure what you mean. Any example images or anything of something that looks like it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I think I know what you mean, but it depends on whether you want it to look realistic (using a 3d app, eg. blender) or whether you're going for a more clean "web 2-point-oh" look... in which case I'd google some web 2.0 logo tutorials... many of which have that just-below-glass look.

The way I'd try it would be to use what ever displacement tools will get you the basic sphere-shape on the original image, then play with adding circular layers over it that use a radial gradient that goes from white -> transparent to get the basic cloudyness... then detailing some reflections on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

im...LOST wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean. Any example images or anything of something that looks like it?
    Sorry no, it is a concept at the moment. Thanks for reply though I'll clarify it a bit more below.

I think I know what you mean, but it depends on whether you want it to look realistic (using a 3d app, eg. blender) or whether you're going for a more clean "web 2-point-oh" look... in which case I'd google some web 2.0 logo tutorials... many of which have that just-below-glass look.

The way I'd try it would be to use what ever displacement tools will get you the basic sphere-shape on the original image, then play with adding circular layers over it that use a radial gradient that goes from white -> transparent to get the basic cloudyness... then detailing some reflections on top of that.
    Ideally I'd like to create it in photoshop and have it printed of as part of a poster.

The overall poster idea is to have a lion cub playing with a ball, the ball will have the 'lions club logo' incorporated into it. I suppose it doesn't need to be as complex as being 'slightly under the surface' it could be just simply wrapped around the ball.

The imagery and idea is very effective in theory, I can get an appropriate lion cub image easily enough, it is difficult for me technically though to create the actual 'ball' / 'sphere' at the moment. I'd appreciate any help, advice, tutorials etc on this and thanks for time taken on this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

It would be a lot easier to create a sphere with a logo mapped onto in in Illustrator.
    If you need to know I’ll try explain as best I can.

• Advertisement

It would be a lot easier to create a sphere with a logo mapped onto in in Illustrator.
    If you need to know I’ll try explain as best I can.

Thanks for reply, that would be cool if you have the time to do this. I'm reasonably ok with illustrator so I should be able to understand or go and learn any skills needed for said instruction.

Finding a lion cub pic has been a lot harder than I thought as well so if anyone has one in stock or seen one somewhere I'd appreciate a pointer to it, this part of the project is turning out to be much harder than I thought. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

I was going to type all the necessary steps out but then I found this.
    http://www.perpetualvisions.com/articles-and-graphics/tutillcs-spheres.htm

It also includes steps for mapping images onto your sphere.

For your loin cub shot try.
    http://www.bluevertigo.com.ar/bluevertigo.htm

Hope they help.

I was going to type all the necessary steps out but then I found this.
    http://www.perpetualvisions.com/articles-and-graphics/tutillcs-spheres.htm

It also includes steps for mapping images onto your sphere.

For your loin cub shot try.
    http://www.bluevertigo.com.ar/bluevertigo.htm

Hope they help.

That's great, thanks so much.

Advertisement