Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized Globe hybrid getting murdered on the longer trips

Options
  • 03-07-2008 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

i'm putting in a game effort, but my 2007 specialized globe hybrid is really not cutting it on longer spins (125Km to longford took me two hours longer than I thought it should have). So I need something that:

still comfortable
    practical as commuter
    but FAST

any recommendations? was thinking about a specialized sirrus but is that radical enough? bare in mind my budget is €800- €900

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Maybe it's time to get a bike with some drops? Being able to get a bit aero can help. The spesh allez are decent entry bikes, I have one. Many people here have Giants (can't remember model). Focus bikes are also getting good reviews here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The Focus Variado or Variado Expert from wiggle.co.uk are great bikes -have the expert myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭romperstomper

online? does that not mean i need to bring it to a shop here to have them build it when it gets here? how much does that usually add? Also how did you know the bike would fit you? I know you have size, but every bike is different, no? any bike shop in dublin with the Foxus range for me to sit on before I buy?? thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Sirrus is a good bike (I have one myself) but at 125km I think you probably have reached the point where you really should be looking at drop bars/road bike. If it is your first road bike there is an advantage to buying from a local bike shop to get yourself fitted properly- it's a lot more important on a road bike compared to a hybrid.

In terms of assembly, it depends where you buy, some places (including Wiggle, who have exclusive on Focus for UK/Ireland) ship the bike in a special big box near fully assembely and set up perfectly, you just need to attach the bars and pedals (not difficult.)

But if it's your first I would go entry level road bike from a LBS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 escape m1

i have a touring bike that i just bought a month ago that i would say would suit you pretty well for proper long cycles and commuting. it's a claud butler regent. i got it to go touring but the tour i was supposed to do fell through. basically it's set up as a racer but done up to be more user friendly and durable and comfortable. slightly thicker tyres than a racer so they are good for the city but also keeps it fast enough if out for a cycle. i'm hoping to change to a racer as i hope to get involved in competition. if you want to look the bike up and get back to me that's be great but i think it could be the kind of thing you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 escape m1

sorry forgot to say that i'd be more than happy to even meet you and just give you a look at it if it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

hi guys,

i'm putting in a game effort, but my 2007 specialized globe hybrid is really not cutting it on longer spins (125Km to longford took me two hours longer than I thought it should have). So I need something that:

still comfortable
    practical as commuter
    but FAST

any recommendations? was thinking about a specialized sirrus but is that radical enough? bare in mind my budget is €800- €900

thanks

Can I ask you how long it took to get to Longford, as I'm thinking of doing a similar trip to Wexford from Dublin on my hybrid at some stage in the Summer: 6+ hrs maybe??

chris: it took me 8 hours but having said that at least 45 mins of that was breaks (i took about 3 X 15 min breaks after 30K or so)

escape: can you pm me with a link to bike you have? i'm interrested in seeing it, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

alot of time might be saved by accessing your bike position, maybe also your tyres could take an extra few psi, simple things i know but they do make a difference.

if your considering getting drop bars and your happy with your bike, its possible to get conversion kits, sti levers,and the drop bars, bike shops will often do a fit for you.
    saves a few N€uros aswell

• Advertisement

would most local bike shops be au fait with position? i might get them to take a look at mine so.

observer: reckon it would be easier to shift mine and buy a different one.

have to say something like the focus cayo with a pannier kit running 28s would suit down to the ground. is such a thing possible??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

"...still comfortable
    practical as commuter
    but FAST...."

Money down the pan, you'll have a nimble chassis but you've got the same engine. Unless you fancy a new bike anyway of course.

We'll say 7hrs ride time gives that journey 18 kph average. The engine needs some work! :)

What else can you say contributed to the journey time:
    Carrying luggage?
    Headwind?
    Preparation? Dehydrated, 'bonked'.

Looking at the spec for a 2008 Globe, have you fitted narrower tyres?
    Clipless pedals and shoes? helps both with overall comfort and efficiency.
    hi guys,

still comfortable
    practical as commuter
    but FAST

thanks

my saying took me 2 hours longer than i thought it should implies critisicm of my performance as well as the bike!! the reason i'm thinking oof changing the bike is that when i'm out with others for spins (<60Km), i getting dropped big time too.

Advertisement