Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell? Asked for ID?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Myself and my friend went into a supermarket tonight, I gave her a lift down as it was raining. She was buying 2 bottles of wine and was asked for ID by the girl at the till. She is 23 and had an age card which was accepted. I start walking over to look at some magazines and next thing I hear "Have you got ID?". It was the store manager. I told him politely that no I don't have ID, I am not buying anything and anyway I am 22 and then he said that I have to as my friend is buying alcohol.

Remembering I had my passport in my bag from going out last Saturday night I said "actually I have my passport". He snapped at me "I thought you said you didn't have ID?". He had a look at it and handed it back to me. I looked over at my friend and next thing he goes "With that attitude your friend can't buy alcohol" and told the girl on the checkout not to sell it. We walked off and I turned around to see him on his walkie talkie.

On our way out we were stopped by the security guard. He said to me "Were you asked for ID there?". I said that yes I was and it showed I am 22 and anyway I was not buying anything. The security guard told me that the manager said I practically threw it at him??? I said no I did not. He then asked did my friend still want to buy the wine and I said no we will take our money elsewhere in future.

What the hell?
    Firstly, if he thought I was a minor and my friend was buying the drink for me, he had absolutely no way of proving it, as I did not give her any money. Secondly, I am 22, and thirdly, I displayed no attitude so he was making up lies about me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you were buying liquor in the States you would be asked for ID at any age. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought that law in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Read my post... I wasn't buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The ID isn't the issue here, it is the manner in which you claim you were treated.

Write everything down in an impartial, descriptive letter and post it via registered mail to the manager of the supermarket and the head office of the supermarket franchise (if applicable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Read my post... I wasn't buying anything.
    In that case I would have just told him to fc**k o*ff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Thats unbelievable! What supermarket was it? So you need id now just to walk into a store? I would definitely write a letter of complaint to the head office as dudara said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Name and shame. And follow it up.

You could interrupt Joooooooooe Duffffaaaaaaay's funday friday with the news if you were that way inclined.

Manager of a supermarket store thinks he is God. A business genius no doubt.

As for the legality of the issue, i think he is on very dodgy ground asking someone who is not involved in a transaction for an ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

dudara wrote: »
    The ID isn't the issue here, it is the manner in which you claim you were treated.

Write everything down in an impartial, descriptive letter and post it via registered mail to the manager of the supermarket and the head office of the supermarket franchise (if applicable).
    Agreed.

It was Dunnes Stores in Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

i only stopped getting asked for id when i hit 25. also from working in a shop i had to id a lot of ppl who turned out to be mid 20s and older:rolleyes:

that isn't really the point here. its more how you were spoken to. i wonder if he thought you looked under age and automatically adopted that superior attitude i see a lot of authority figures get when dealing with minors (or percieved minors in this case). 'you're a young person and so i get to speak to you however i want and treat you like a criminal because you'll probably rob my store anyway' :mad:

if you want to take it further than seething on the internet, i suggest a bit of sleuthing, find the email of the highest person in the company (managing director or whoever) and go to them, about this ass. my dad does it all the time and it usually gets him somewhere- no point in going to some middle managment moron with no power to help you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Asking for ID is part of the issue. If you looked like a friend of someone who is buying drink, can you request ID off them? Why stop there, ID everyone inside and those outside the shop too.

However, calling a security guard because you nearly threw the passport at him is just ridiculous.

A letter is the probably the best way to go, but gut instinct it will be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yeah, I would write a polite but firm letter outlining the way you were treated. Make sure you make clear that if you were buying alcohol you would have had no issue showing ID and that isn't your problem but that you weren't buying anything and that if that is the way that management treats its staff then you will not be shopping there in future.

In NZ, there's signs everywhere saying if you look under 30 you will be ID'd. It kind of makes sense but it's a pain in the ass having to carry your passport around with you (you can only show your passport or a nz age card). I'd say they'll bring something like that in at home in the future. If so, I'd expect a lot more incidents like the one above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Ring Head Office, there is no excuse for treating customers that way, I personally would have hit the fcuking roof and not let him away with it.

I was buying cigarettes in my local centra the other day and was asked for ID, I was over the moon, I'm 33 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Don't people remember this .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7092723.stm

He was right to ID you TBH

However I totally agree with the OP , sounds like some jumped up idiot in a suit much as it pains me to say it, take your money to Tesco from now on ( it's 24hrs as well )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Davidth88 wrote: »
    He was right to ID you TBH

why ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Why.....

He must have seen the OP standing next his GF when she picked up the wine and reasonably assumed they were together.

I believe it's an offence to purchase alcohol for people underage also , so he was working against that offence . ( I am open to correction )

Now that does not help the ' little hitler ' attitude , but some of these ' suits' are on a power trip.

Actually , been thinking about this , I assume there must be some common sense applied , for example you are shopping with your child does this preclude you from buying booze ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

-Ring Dunnes management and complain: Head Office 01 611 2100

Seriously do it, that guy sounds like a knob ... Why would you 'throw' your passport at someone .. thats ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I was asked for ID by a young lad in an off-licence. I was about 27 or 28 at the time and he was a good 10 years younger than me.

I just laughed at him and asked was he joking. The owner was standing behind him and told him not to be so silly and that I was old enough to be his father :D

I have a big beard so I look about 10 years older than I am, still quite funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

With the new licensing laws coming in later this summer expect alot more of this, I don't have a problem being asked for ID (I'm 32) and I can't understand why others would either. A business could be closed down for 2 days if caught supplying alcohol to underage people.
    As people have said already, in many other countries you're carded until you've almost one foot in your grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Jip wrote: »
    With the new licensing laws coming in later this summer expect alot more of this, I don't have a problem being asked for ID (I'm 32) and I can't understand why others would either. A business could be closed down for 2 days if caught supplying alcohol to underage people.
    As people have said already, in many other countries you're carded until you've almost one foot in your grave.

Did you even read the post?
    The issue is not about ID its about being mis treated by an ignorant 'Manager'

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I would report him to Head Office for the way he treated you! Sounds like he was on a power trip.

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »

Read my post. I WAS NOT BUYING ALCOHOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP: make sure you complain. If you go back into the store you might be able to find the managers name either from being up on the wall with his picture or by asking somehow. That is no way to treat a customer AND he had no right asking you for ID since like you said you were not purchasing the alcohol.

It is an offence to supply minors with alcohol but as far as i know a store is only responsible for the age of the person they sell the alcohol to. If that customer sells it on to an underage person then they are liable not the shop. It really is unbelievable how he treated you, and then stopping your friends custom because you didn't allow him id you for looking at magazines! This kind of crap is unreal

LolaDub wrote: »
    It is an offence to supply minors with alcohol but as far as i know a store is only responsible for the age of the person they sell the alcohol to. If that customer sells it on to an underage person then they are liable not the shop. It really is unbelievable how he treated you, and then stopping your friends custom because you didn't allow him id you for looking at magazines! This kind of crap is unreal

I did let him ID me but after seeing on my passport that I am 22 he said my friend could not buy the alcohol because of my "attitude".

I know you said that, what my point is, is that i don't think a shop are liable for people reselling their alcohol so he had no need to ask you for id in the first place. His behaviour was unreal, have you reported him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Re. all those SHOUTING IN BOLD ABOUT MY POST, try reading it again with regard to the post above it. Then all take a chill pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Nobody but the Gardai, Customs, Immigration officers have a right to demand identification.

A shopkeeper cannot *force* you to provide identification but they can refuse to sell you alcohol on that basis. However the manager had no right to ask you on that context as you were not purchasing the alcohol, there would be no contract of sale on this as no money was exchanged

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kersti

No he wasn't right - it's harrassment. If I were to walk into a store with a toddler in tow they would not refuse to sell me alcohol on the basis that the child was under aged. He had no right to your ID if you were not purchasing. IF you were under aged then your friend could be prosecuted for supply to a minor, but it's not up to the store manager to police that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

A fair few times that I went into a store in the US with a mate or mates who were buying drink, we'd all be carded... on one memorable occasion, my mate sitting in the drivers seat of a car outside the store was asked to prove he was over 21, since I'd been seen getting out of the car :rolleyes: .
    Yes I know ID isn't the issue here, but just making the point that it's probably in the upcoming changes in legislation, that this type of thing will become the norm.
    No need to be a jobsworth about it like the manager was though...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

craichoe wrote: »
    Nobody but the Gardai, Customs, Immigration officers have a right to demand identification.

I believe that Social Welfare Investigators can do as well.

Advertisement