Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell? Asked for ID?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

In that case I would have just told him to fc**k o*ff.

Yes, because that would clearly have solved the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dudara wrote: »
    The ID isn't the issue here, it is the manner in which you claim you were treated.

Write everything down in an impartial, descriptive letter and post it via registered mail to the manager of the supermarket and the head office of the supermarket franchise (if applicable).
    LolaDub wrote: »
    Thats unbelievable! What supermarket was it? So you need id now just to walk into a store? I would definitely write a letter of complaint to the head office as dudara said
    Morgans wrote: »
    Name and shame. And follow it up.

You could interrupt Joooooooooe Duffffaaaaaaay's funday friday with the news if you were that way inclined.

Manager of a supermarket store thinks he is God. A business genius no doubt.

As for the legality of the issue, i think he is on very dodgy ground asking someone who is not involved in a transaction for an ID.
    random wrote: »
    Agreed.
    craichoe wrote: »
    -Ring Dunnes management and complain: Head Office 01 611 2100

Seriously do it, that guy sounds like a knob ... Why would you 'throw' your passport at someone .. thats ridiculous.

Now they on the other hand are all fine examples of the correct course of action. Definately take it up with HQ, that manager should get a stern talking to about his (lack of) customer service skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Head Office is on Mercer Street, Beaux Lane House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I went on the Dunnes website shortly after this incident and emailed their Customer Services address. I heard nothing back so rang their head office today who told me that they don't have a customer service department?
    And that I need to speak to the Personnell Manager in the store as the managers report to her. They said if the store don't do something about it then I am to ring head office again and they will take it further. I rang the store and they said the Personnell Manager was out sick.
    I will NOT be happy until I get results from this as I do not accompany my friend into a shop to be treated like a piece of dirt by staff, have false accusations made about me i.e. throwing my passport at a manager (which is slander!) and having a bad attitude, and the embarrassment of all this happening in a busy shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Good stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jhegarty wrote: »
    why ? :confused:
    the shop can be fined and worse if they sell alcohol to someone and they suspect it may be given to any underage person?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the shop can be fined and worse if they sell alcohol to someone and they suspect it may be given to any underage person?
    Under what law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

I went on the Dunnes website shortly after this incident and emailed their Customer Services address. I heard nothing back so rang their head office today who told me that they don't have a customer service department?
    And that I need to speak to the Personnell Manager in the store as the managers report to her. They said if the store don't do something about it then I am to ring head office again and they will take it further. I rang the store and they said the Personnell Manager was out sick.
    I will NOT be happy until I get results from this as I do not accompany my friend into a shop to be treated like a piece of dirt by staff, have false accusations made about me i.e. throwing my passport at a manager (which is slander!) and having a bad attitude, and the embarrassment of all this happening in a busy shop.

Yep, make sure you follow it up. I had an issue with a manager in their Cornelscourt branch once, and wrote a letter directly to head office to complain. I heard back pretty quickly, with an apology and a voucher to compensate. Maybe you could do this - it's better to have everything in writing/email anyway.

Personnel manager will more than likely do nothing. A letter to Head Office is the way to go, or even call in to them if you can, just behind Stephens Green SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Read my post. I WAS NOT BUYING ALCOHOL.
    ... and? You were with someone who was. The shop can be prosecuted for selling someone drink who, outside the shop, will give it to the minor.
    axer wrote: »
    Under what law?
    [url= wrote:
    dohc.ie[/url]"]
    Under the Intoxicating Liquor Act, 2003, it is an offence to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 18. Anyone found guilty of doing so is liable on summary conviction in a District Court to a fine not exceeding 1,500 euro for a first offence and 2,000 euro for a second and any subsequent offence.
    It is also an offence to buy alcohol for people under the age of 18or to give alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless in a domestic home. If found guilty of any of these offences, you could be liable on summary conviction in a District Court to a fine of 1,500 euro for a first offence and 2,000 euro for a second or any subsequent offence.
    Although it isn't really clear, it may mean that the shop could get fined for selling drink to people who they know will give it to a minor (that is not in a domestic home).

It could be seen that as you were seen with the girlfriend, it could be assumed she was buying drink for you, and thus the shop has to ask you, as they may be prosecuted for not doing so.

Yes, a lot of "may"s, but when you can loose your license, you tend to try to keep it.

Please bare in mind that the Gardai have used under-aged people to see if pubs sell them drink or cigarettes, so shops have to be cautious of this (the Roost, also in Maynooth was shut down a few times for selling drink to under-age people).

/edit
    No reason to act like a pr|ck, but he has more chance of getting a warning for allowing drink to be sold to an under-age person, than he is for checking the ID of someone. Heck, your letter of complaint may get him some praise for his diligence :eek::D:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I read that as the shop being prosecuted for selling to under 18. The purchaser being prosecuted for giving it to an under 18. It doesn't seem to suggest the shop being prosecuted for selling it to someone over 18 who then gives it to someone under 18, which would be unworkable anyway. How can anyone prove that it was going to be given to someone under 18 after the over 18 bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

This is worse than tesco's Jack Daniels Sauce fiasco!

what a tool!

unreggd wrote: »
    This is worse than tesco's Jack Daniels Sauce fiasco!

Enlighten me, I don't think I've heard about that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

the_syco wrote: »
    ... and? You were with someone who was. The shop can be prosecuted for selling someone drink who, outside the shop, will give it to the minor.
    and that is not against the law thus the shop manager had no right to demand ID.
    Although it isn't really clear,
    It is very clear to me what that says.
    It is also an offence to buy alcohol for people under the age of 18or to give alcohol to anyone under the age of 18
    it may mean that the shop could get fined for selling drink to people who they know will give it to a minor (that is not in a domestic home).
    No it says it is an offence to buy alcohol for people under the age of 18or to give alcohol to anyone under the age of 18. It does not say it is an offence to sell alcohol to someone who is likely to give it to an underage person.
    It could be seen that as you were seen with the girlfriend, it could be assumed she was buying drink for you, and thus the shop has to ask you, as they may be prosecuted for not doing so.
    As above, the shop does not have to ask and has no right demanding the ID.
    Yes, a lot of "may"s, but when you can loose your license, you tend to try to keep it.
    I see no "mays" nor do I see any risk of loss of licence.
    Please bare in mind that the Gardai have used under-aged people to see if pubs sell them drink or cigarettes, so shops have to be cautious of this (the Roost, also in Maynooth was shut down a few times for selling drink to under-age people).
    Underage people to directly buy the alcohol.
    /edit
    No reason to act like a pr|ck, but he has more chance of getting a warning for allowing drink to be sold to an under-age person, than he is for checking the ID of someone. Heck, your letter of complaint may get him some praise for his diligence :eek::D:cool:
    No underage person was buying the alcohol. The OP's girlfriend proved her age - that is all that matters. If the manager was worried (personally) that the alcohol was to be giving to the OP (if he was seen as being under 18) then the manager could have called the gardai who could have demanded to see the ID. The manager was completely wrong here and did it solely out of a power trip from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

That's some of Dunnes customer service at it's best:rolleyes:
    since you were having nothing to do with the purchase,and standing away from the till point,the manager actually had no right to demand ID from you.
    The jumped up little b****x was obviously on a power trip!saying you "threw" your ID at him etc. You should defo follow it up!

On a seperate note; has anyone tried to present a passport when buying booze from Tesco?They have refused a mate of mine saying that they "only accept Garda ID"-this girl has a Swedish passport,so cannot apply for an age card!

On a seperate note; has anyone tried to present a passport when buying booze from Tesco?They have refused a mate of mine saying that they "only accept Garda ID"-this girl has a Swedish passport,so cannot apply for an age card!

I used to work in Tesco, and that was the standard line. It's absolutely ridiculous - any non-national here at least temporarily is obviously not likely to have Garda ID. It's been like that for years, and it's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. And it proved to be a lot more hassle than it was worth, asking people for ID and then going, 'oh, sorry, your passport isn't acceptable'. It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I had a similar experience to the OP a while back in tesco rathfarnham. Went in to the store with 3 friends (all over 20) to get food and drink for bbq that evening. For whatever reason we were in the drink aisle trying to decide what to get and the manager came up and said in a smart-ass tone "sorry lads, before ye get embarrassed at the till, can i see some ID." No problem we thought, ignoring her poor manner. "yeah sure, there ya go" I said handing her a driving license as it was all I had with me. other lads had passports and 1 had Garda age card. Her next line: "Sorry, is this a passport or Garda ID?" I said no, that it was a driving license. She said it wasn't acceptable.

We tried to reason with her to use her common sense that as 3 of the 4 of us had 'acceptable' forms of ID that it was just being pernickety to not serve us based on my production of a driving license. Can't remember exactly the words exchenged but basically she grew more and more aggressive in tone and when I told her there was no neede to raise her voice she asked me to leave the store. At this point i got my back up a little bit, as i do not walk into a store to be talked down to by some jumped up 'manager.' I told her I'd gladly take my money elsewhere to spend €150 in a store where i was going to be treated properly. She followed us out of the store, but in all honesty, all we could do was laugh at her. Didn't bother following it up, I just don't shop in there at all anymore.

Vote with your feet as we're always told.

I received an email from their HQ this morning, from the Customer Services dept.
    The same Customer Services dept that I was told doesnt exist on Friday.

No name given or nothing, not even a hello, literally just asking for my phone number so they can contact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I received an email from their HQ this morning, from the Customer Services dept.
    The same Customer Services dept that I was told doesnt exist on Friday.

No name given or nothing, not even a hello, literally just asking for my phone number so they can contact me.

OP try to keep it in writing if you can. That way you can easily show your point without them talking over you or annoying you into saying something you shouldn't.

If i were you i would say i was working and couldn't freely talk on the phone s you would prefer to email. Good luck and please keep us updated.

yeah i just emailed them back just there,

I said i am in work and cannot talk on the phone

I also mentioned how i was treated like a criminal- pretty muc what I have said on here. Eagerly awaiting their response- I am still furious about how I was treated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

yeah i just emailed them back just there,

I said i am in work and cannot talk on the phone

I also mentioned how i was treated like a criminal- pretty muc what I have said on here. Eagerly awaiting their response- I am still furious about how I was treated.

Have you told them you want an apology from the manager in question ?

craichoe wrote: »
    Have you told them you want an apology from the manager in question ?

yeah i told them i want a full response as I was treated like a criminal.
    i said i want the name of the manager and the security guard.
    Also the name of the person in HQ that replied to my email as it was not provided in the email.

I am going to be at them like a dog at a bone until I get answers as I have worked in retail/food for years and have never seen a customer treated like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Dunnes managers are notorious for been Asz-H0les...,
    Ask anybody who has worked for Dunnes or for a external company doing work in Dunnes.

Dunnes HQ have now told me my email has been forwarded to the regional manager.
    Still no name of the person who is sending me the emails, I have asked again.
    They asked again for my phone number and I have it to them but said I am in work and would prefer email.

Ughh, at this stage, I think you're better off walking into Head Office, or else finding out who the Store Manager of the Maynooth Dunnes is and demanding to speak with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

keep us posted on how this turns out. man i hate bad customer relations. stick with it though and at least you'll give them a bit of a headache!!

The person i amd ealing with in Dunnes HQ has now given me their name. I wont hesitate to ring the Store Manager if I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Act in question isn't crystal clear.

The relevant part is this:
    32.—(1) Subject to subsection (2) of this section, a person (other than the holder of a licence of licensed premises) shall not—

(a) purchase intoxicating liquor for delivery to, or consumption by, a person under the age of 18 years, or

(b) deliver intoxicating liquor to such a person.
    Under provision (b), it could very much be argued that a person who sells alcohol to someone that they know or believe will be passed onto someone under 18, is in effect "delivering" the alcohol to the minor.

It was something that was pushed very strongly onto off-licences - that if they know or suspect the alcohol will be passed onto kids, they could be in line for big fines. In reality, I think it hasn't been tested yet, but who wants the hassle.

In this case, while I think the action of the manager in asking for ID was perfectly justified - the execution was ridiculous. I'd completely support him in asking someone for ID if he believe that the alcohol would be supplied to them, but not to be a complete arsehole about it.

seamus wrote: »
    The Act in question isn't crystal clear.

The relevant part is this:

Under provision (b), it could very much be argued that a person who sells alcohol to someone that they know or believe will be passed onto someone under 18, is in effect "delivering" the alcohol to the minor.

It was something that was pushed very strongly onto off-licences - that if they know or suspect the alcohol will be passed onto kids, they could be in line for big fines. In reality, I think it hasn't been tested yet, but who wants the hassle.

In this case, while I think the action of the manager in asking for ID was perfectly justified - the execution was ridiculous. I'd completely support him in asking someone for ID if he believe that the alcohol would be supplied to them, but not to be a complete arsehole about it.

I take your point. However, the law does not expect shop staff to be mindreaders and he had no proof whatsoever that my friend was going to give me the wine- she went down and picked it out by herself while I stayed looking at magazines. I did not hand her any money or anything else, and I am not a minor and was able to prove such. It was only when I was walking away from the checkout and my friend was handing over her money that anything was said to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

the law does not expect shop staff to be mindreaders
    Indeed, but you can look at that the other way - he had no way of knowing that you *weren't* going to drink it. Either he was just in that kind of mood, or he "read" your body language incorrectly.

I would imagine one of the biggest tells of people buying drink for their underage mates, is the underage mate walking away and pretending to not be there when the drink is being bought.

I'd guess that this is what he thought, he got some strange ego kick out of the thought that he'd bust you on it, and then when you proved him wrong, he got embarrassed and took it out on you - you'd be surprised how many people get angry and take it out on you when they embarrass themselves in front of you.

Advertisement