Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the hell? Asked for ID?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

LOL he didn't ACTUALLY tell her to stick it :pac: He said fine, we'll buy it elsewhere, you've just lost a sale etc, totally not his normal self. You had to be there, she just had such an attitude on her it was unreal. I've been refused alcohol before with no ID but the person is usually civil and understanding. This one looked like she was just waiting to p*ss someone off. And it was just silly to see a lack of common sense - we were 2 young professionals dressed in work clothes (suit and smart trousers/top), buying a bottle of wine along with a pile of vegetables and fish. Not 10 alcopops or a bottle of vodka. I've worked in shops and restaurants and was told to use my common sense. It was just funny tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Ha! Okay I retract my fair play to her statement :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

I think people are missing the point here.

The manager had every right to refuse them service unless ID was produced, from both people. The point is, he was rude about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Don't people remember this .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7092723.stm

He was right to ID you TBH

However I totally agree with the OP , sounds like some jumped up idiot in a suit much as it pains me to say it, take your money to Tesco from now on ( it's 24hrs as well )
    You cant but alcohol in Tescos after a certain time they have pub hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

LolaDub wrote: »
    It is an offence to supply minors with alcohol but as far as i know a store is only responsible for the age of the person they sell the alcohol to. If that customer sells it on to an underage person then they are liable not the shop. It really is unbelievable how he treated you, and then stopping your friends custom because you didn't allow him id you for looking at magazines! This kind of crap is unreal
    Not true shop can also be fined.Ive refused to sell to people in case they gave it to minors eg saw them giving money to someone older to buy alcohol,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My friend works in an off licence and you can only ID the person buying the alcohol and not the people with them.

If the person who bought the alcohol then wants to give it to someone underage that's THEIR responsibility and they'll be in trouble NOT the off licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

OP, any comeback from dunnes yet?? or are you still waiting??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

MMMmmmm. Very interesting.

I do agree that no one needs to be treated badly by a store manager - a little customer service goes a long way.
    BUT -
    1.) if you drive to a shop, you will have your drivers licence on you (it is the law that you must have your licence with you when you drive a car).
    2.) if you are 'browsing' in an off licence, you can be asked for ID, as you are showing an intent to purchase.

I am not taking the managers side, but I do think that there are two sides to the story, and the manager could have handeled the situation differently - a little customer service goes a long way.

If it was me, I would take it up with their HO, as you have done, but I would make sure that I had my drivers licence on me when driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

P.C. wrote: »

I do agree that no one needs to be treated badly by a store manager - a little customer service goes a long way.
    BUT -
    1.) if you drive to a shop, you will have your drivers licence on you (it is the law that you must have your licence with you when you drive a car).
    2.) if you are 'browsing' in an off licence, you can be asked for ID, as you are showing an intent to purchase.

I am not taking the managers side, but I do think that there are two sides to the story, and the manager could have handeled the situation differently - a little customer service goes a long way.

If it was me, I would take it up with their HO, as you have done, but I would make sure that I had my drivers licence on me when driving.

Bit off topic, but you could have left your license in the car. Plus the OP was browsing magazines in a supermarket, not browsing in an off license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

P.C. wrote: »

They can ask you what they like, you can always say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

An interesting thread.
    Firstly the shops responibility lies with ensuring that they do not sell to someone underage, period what that person subsequently does with that alchol is not their problem.
    if they are of a mind to, they can inform the relevant authorities that they suspect that someone is supplying underage people with drink well thats up to them, their legal responsibility rests with ensuring my first point.

by asking the op for id the manager implied that her friend intended to supply underage persons with alcohol thus commiting an offence this is bordering on if not actually slander.

to get back to the main point which is the attitude of the manager, to treat a customer in the manner that he did is uncalled for and a terrible way to treat customers.

its not good enough to vote with your feet, if you dont complain then management may never know that there is a problem and will be in the dark as to why customers are leaving their shop.

Advertisement