Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D60 or D40 (+ free Nikon Training) Advice..Please!

• 03-07-2008 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi All, im thinking of getting one of the above, and im a complete novice but I know iwant a SLR(taking pictures of the kids etc, the blloody compact is to slow).

They seem to be fantastic value (especially when compared to the Canon models). I saw them in Conns Cameras @ 449/and 599 with the VR lens on the D60 + plus €80 cashback and they said free training as well. (I checked this out and its real www.nikon.ie/dslrtraining).

Basically my questions is do it need a vr lens and an extra 4mp??
    All suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lionsden

Meister wrote: »
    .....Basically my questions is do it need a vr lens and an extra 4mp??
    All suggestions welcome

Only you can answer that. What it basically boils down to is:

VR Lense....The lense is a separate issue to the camera body, don't buy an SLR camera for the lense. You can buy the camera and lense separately, ie you could buy the D40 and put a VR lense on it if you wish.

The extra 4 mp..... it boils down to what size you plan to print your pics. You will only notice a difference in the quality if you plan to print larger than A4, do you?

I have a D40 and am very happy with the quality. You have to decide if the above suites you.

Hope this helps a bit. I remember the turmoil I went through trying to decide what my first DSLR would be, but,.... I've no regrets:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭conkeroo

Meister wrote: »
    Hi All, im thinking of getting one of the above, and im a complete novice but I know iwant a SLR(taking pictures of the kids etc, the blloody compact is to slow).

They seem to be fantastic value (especially when compared to the Canon models). I saw them in Conns Cameras @ 449/and 599 with the VR lens on the D60 + plus €80 cashback and they said free training as well. (I checked this out and its real www.nikon.ie/dslrtraining).

Basically my questions is do it need a vr lens and an extra 4mp??
    All suggestions welcome

If you think it might progress as a hobby without doubt get the D60. The VR might not mean much starting but if you get into it it could make a hell of a difference. Same with the extra 4MP. What VR lens is it? Because aside from anything else a D60 with a (hopefully decent) VR lens is great value. And as a side, if you did want larger prints the D60 will be better to get. Is the 80 euro cashback with the D60? If so, no brainer. :)

EDIT:
    I remember the turmoil I went through trying to decide what my first DSLR would be...
    Same here, when I got my first dslr I had no idea what to plump for. So I went with the Sony A100 and rubbish kit lens which I had to sell at a 700euro loss only a year later! (Ive since got a D80).

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭budfox

Thanks for your advice and PM's regarding which to go for. Really appreciated it guys/girls...

A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It would pay to shop around a bit too & see what deals there are out there. AFAIK you will only get the training if you buy it in Bricks & Mortar shop & not online.

Have a look at Berminghams, Camera Exchange & Gunns to see what their prices are. If they are all the same my preference would be Gunns.

Advertisement