Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good dictionary?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

I realise this is a rather silly topic, but I was wondering if anyone has any good dictionaries to reccomend. I have an oxford schools one, and some other one that I don't know the name of. Both I have found to be extremely lacking for all my reading needs, they even disagree with each other on certain definitions!, and half the words I want to look up aren't there.

So if anyone uses a dictionary which they think is good I'd like to hear about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

raah! wrote: »
    , and half the words I want to look up aren't there.

What kind of words are you looking up?

Oxford dictionaries come in every shape and size, covering many different speciality areas like medical and business and so forth.

And there are many free online dictionaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Well lots of words, most of which I can't remember (because I don't know what they mean). Examples are : fustian, execrate, exchatology..... there are loads, I could look them up on the internet yes, but that's all the way down stairs, and I'll be damned if that bastard bertrand russell has me running up and down the stairs every two seconds.

Well if there are many variants of the oxford one, maybe the problem is that my one is a schools one, and I need one a bit more mature perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I just looked up Fustian, Execrate and Exchatology in my Collins English Dictionary for Advanced Learners and they weren't to be found :( So I guess that's no good then.

Fustian and Execrate were both found in online dictionaries but not exchatology... anywhere, but it did suggest eschatology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

yeah... it's eschatology :(

Advertisement