Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vrt charges ?

Options
  • 03-07-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

hi guys,
    i know this has been asked before but not sure if it has been clarified,
    i bought a car from uk in january ,
    car has not been on road and has been garaged and have not paid vrt as yet,
    i have the cash now and want to pay the vrt,
    before july i was getting a price of 2800 on the revenue website,
    its now giving me a price of 1800 since july 1st !
    i know im probably hoping but which one will i have to pay ?
    is it based on time of paying vrt or time of purchase ?
    could i change the doc to say date after july 1st ? to get lower price ?
    or am i going to end up in court !, do they cross check with the dvla ?, i have the v5 cert,
    want to do this properly and not end up in hot water !
    many thanks in advance !

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No easy answer to this one.
    Legally you have to pay the VRT the next working day after you import it, doesn't matter if it was driven, garaged, or buried in a hole in your back garden.
    If the V5 says it was sold in january then they might start asking some awkward questions and look for ferry tickets or other proof that it was not imported till now. On the other hand they mightn't give a toss.
    I wouldn't advise altering the date on the cert, this would be fraud and could land you in a lot of trouble.

Be aware, if you come clean with them and say it's been in the country since Jan, they can hit you with a penalty on top of the 1K extra old VRT rate.

At the end of the day, its your choice whether or not to risk it.

I'm sure someone else who has actually done this can give you better advice than me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

stevec wrote: »

Be aware, if you come clean with them and say it's been in the country since Jan, they can hit you with a penalty on top of the 1K extra old VRT rate.

Does anyone know what the fine for this is. i.e. the fine for not registering an imported car until it is seized?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you'll have to pay the most recent price, it doesn't matter when the car was brought in - they wont even ask. 2 years ago I had a car here for 7 months before I paid the VRT.

The car I have now has been here since april and I paid the VRT 2 weeks ago because the V5 was lost and had to be resent. My quote went up and they made me pay the higher price. They didn't care when it was brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Does anyone know what the fine for this is. i.e. the fine for not registering an imported car until it is seized?

I thought it was 10% of the value of the car + the VRT due on it. I could be making that up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

stevec wrote: »
    No easy answer to this one......

Would you go away out of that and stop trying to give the poor young fella a heart attack. The answer to his question is very simple.

You pay the current VRT. Not the old one.

There is no way in hell that the VRT office will ask you when you brought it in. They'll just fill out the form, take your cash, give you a reg number, and shout....NEXT. They most certainly will NOT do any kind of a cross check with the DVLA.

In fact I doubt that there is even a system in place where they can back date the VRT.

Don't be trying to make a problem wher eit doesn't exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The V5 won't have a date of purchase by the OP on it, as the car was never registered to the OP by the UK authorities. As has been said above, the VRO will just take the figure due based on the OMSP & VRT rates for the day on which the owner reregisters the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

BnA wrote: »
    Would you go away out of that and stop trying to give the poor young fella a heart attack. The answer to his question is very simple.

++1,000,000

.....take a pill, OP, just go in, bring the V5, print off your online quote with you, and yer cheque (no cash anymore).....and get your number. QED.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yea, I suppose I was being a bit pessimistic, sorry lads.

Tis better to be prepared for the worst though, anything better is a bonus.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Anan1 wrote: »
    The V5 won't have a date of purchase by the OP on it, as the car was never registered to the OP by the UK authorities. As has been said above, the VRO will just take the figure due based on the OMSP & VRT rates for the day on which the owner reregisters the car.

I'd say the V5C will have a date of sale (filled in by wherever you bought it). If this is questioned just tell them it was laying up in the UK until now.

Mine had a date of 30/04/08 on it and I VRT'd it yesterday. They didn't bat an eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mine had a date of 30/04/08 on it and I VRT'd it yesterday. They didn't bat an eyelid.

they never do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Wizard

guys thanks a million for your replies,
    am going in to pay it during the week and praying that i get the new price,
    not changing anything and hoping for the best !
    will report back here and let you all know how i got on,
    thanks again !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If this is questioned just tell them it was laying up in the UK until now.

Or up in Down, to really annoy them....

Advertisement