Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you say 'I love you'??

Options
  • 03-07-2008 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

Just reading a thread in PI about a guy who didnt love his gf after 9 months :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055327427

So I am curious - how soon did you or your OH say those little 3 words?? When is too soon? When is too late???

My OH and I took about 2 months which seems like such a short time but it felt right and we had spent a lot of time talking and seeing each other so it seemed normal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

You know when its right, but i think it is over used and seriously losing its mean.

Oh Sassy how the mighty have fallen! ;)

now now love, love changes everything!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Quite soon in to the realationship, but I gotta say, you just know when youve got one for keeps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I think it was after about 6wks...

We spent all our spare time together after we met, stayed every night in one or others flat so it made sense to move in together when our leases came up a couple of months later. It was pretty instantaneous. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

Both times after about two or three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Oh Sassy how the mighty have fallen! ;)

One of these days I may een be called a romantic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Looby_Loo wrote: »
    Both times after about two or three months.

X2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

last bf think it was after about 4 months, hed said it after 2 and freaked me out a bit. but i think he falls in & out of love too easily..

last i remember the OP was trying to get threads for the single girls! nice to know theres some people falling in love when there seems to be so many other people breaking up.. happy for you SarahSassy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

SarahSassy wrote: »
    My OH and I took about 2 months which seems like such a short time but it felt right and we had spent a lot of time talking and seeing each other so it seemed normal....
    Wow! It only seems like yesterday since you were talking about being single.

Nice one girl! And if it took two months... seems like it's going along very nicely.

Best wishes to ya :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Thanks all :) Early days and I am taking it (relatively) slowly so we will see but I am just living in the moment and not planning ahead.... Meeting him was very, very random and not expected - just what I thought would never happen to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Thanks all :) Early days and I am taking it (relatively) slowly so we will see but I am just living in the moment and not planning ahead.... Meeting him was very, very random and not expected - just what I thought would never happen to me...

After reading this, I have to ask.....how did you meet him!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I can still remember making the incredibly monumental move to change 'LUV U' to 'LOVE YOU' in a text message to my boyfriend.
    Ha! It was such a big deal to me at the time.
    It felt like I was waiting ages for him to reply (it was probably only 5 minutes in REAL time), and when he finally got back to me he text "LOVE YOU TOO" and I was delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I remember being absolutely gobsmacked when himself first said those words :) I'm not even sure why because to be honest, it was literally tangible and felt so very right, despite being very early days. Im not one to bandy those words about and I know he's not either so I knew it was the start of something pretty special. Two and a half years later, life is more great than I could hope for. And this post sounds like a re-run of Oprah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am more likely to say I hate you and usually means there is passion and they are getting under my skin enough for me to notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Leaving aside the relationship duration for a moment, anyone else find it tricky to find the right moment to say it for the first time?

For instance, i might feel comfortable saying it with someone i was tucked up in bed with, but only so long as both of us were in our pjs. As said upthread, those 3 words can be a little overused, and i wouldn't like the first time i heard it to be in the midst of passion for instance - i'd like it to be when both of us weren't 'distracted' by anything.

Also, saying it at the end of a phone call (again, for the first ILY only) seems a little abrupt. But - leaning across the candlelit dinner table to take their hands and look deeply into their eyes with the big declaration is a bit OTT....

Scary business, and then there's the fear that the response will be "i love U2...they're a great band".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

It sounds terrible, but I dont remember when we first said I love you, though he tells me that I said it first, I already knew from his actions that he did. I know that it was only a short while after we started dating and that it was not a big deal for us because of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I think it was about 2 months. Although, he said he knew before we even got together properly (he chased me for a little while!). When I said it, he'd already said it to me but I hadn't said it back. I didn't want to say it when I didb't mean it or it didn't feel right.

Now we say it to each other at least once a day and I always know he means it and isn't just saying it for the sake of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

few weeks it was but it was right and we tell each other loads of times a day now :)
    You know when its right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I said it when I felt it.
    I tend to fall hard and fast though :( so it can be a while before they're willing to say it back, if ever. But then it wouldn't be so meaningful were it not exposing ourselves to the risk of it not being recipricated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FlexiLexi

after two weeks... i know that seems a little soon, but each to their own i say, a year and a half and we are still happily together!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

7 days! I remember the instant I fell in love with him, thinking "that was quick", but I didn't say anything.

And a few hours later he said "did I ever tell you I love you? Well I love you."

Still in love after 3 yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Dudess wrote: »
    Wow! It only seems like yesterday since you were talking about being single.

Nice one girl! And if it took two months... seems like it's going along very nicely.

Best wishes to ya :)

+1 Another Ladies Lounge girl that deserves some happiness. Delighted for you SS :) Aww so happy to see that post, go you ;)

With me, he kept hinting at it after a few weeks saying things like he's never felt like this before and he was falling for me etc....I think he probably saw from the look of horror on my face that I wasn't ready to say it (but it takes a lot for me to say those three words, I think some people say them too easily)....anyway 2 and a half months later we were sitting on a wall down the beach, he said it and I said it back and it was very lovely. Then a dog came along and jumped on me and ruined it all but it was nice while it lasted :)

All you need is love :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I am more likely to say I hate you and usually means there is passion and they are getting under my skin enough for me to notice it.

such a romantic!

you're single right?

CathyMoran wrote: »
    It sounds terrible, but I dont remember when we first said I love you, though he tells me that I said it first, I already knew from his actions that he did. I know that it was only a short while after we started dating and that it was not a big deal for us because of the above.

I was just thinking the same thing I haven't a clue when I said it.

ntlbell wrote: »
    such a romantic!

you're single right?

Do you not remember the first interaction with boys/girls. Running around the play ground and chasing and hating them. I always remember my first boyfriend when i was 8, i remember cuz he is still my friend. I always used to say i hated him and he would pull my hair and be mean to me, but i always called around to his house to see if he was coming out to play.

When someone can push your buttons, right or wrong, there is always something more interesting about them.

Jules wrote: »
    Do you not remember the first interaction with boys/girls. Running around the play ground and chasing and hating them. I always remember my first boyfriend when i was 8, i remember cuz he is still my friend. I always used to say i hated him and he would pull my hair and be mean to me, but i always called around to his house to see if he was coming out to play.

When someone can push your buttons, right or wrong, there is always something more interesting about them.

I remember it all right, when I was 8

I didn't mean it in the actual sense of the word. One of those things, your mum always ah look she has a little boyfriend. You really need to get a grip of yourself there.

Internets... Serious Business!

Jules wrote: »
    I didn't mean it in the actual sense of the word. One of those things, your mum always ah look she has a little boyfriend. You really need to get a grip of yourself there.

Internets... Serious Business!

Too busy gripping my wife by neck!

you know, so she knows I care ;)

• Advertisement

I think if i was your wife i would have gotten to you first!

Advertisement