Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Show the Gardai a letter and you're grand!

Options
  • 03-07-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

i was talking to a garda today and he was saying if you are stopped while driving alone show a letter saying you are waiting to do your driving test and you should be grand. anyone else hear this? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i think it is a load of balls if this happens, whats the point in bringing in the law if they are not gonna enforce it properly, i can see a load of young drivers with done up cars bein targetted especially

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

tdc wrote: »
    i was talking to a garda today and he was saying if you are stopped while driving alone show a letter saying you are waiting to do your driving test and you should be grand. anyone else hear this? :pac:

It's all down to the individual Garda. The one you were talking to seems sound enough and sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well, as already said, this is very much up to the gard that stops you, legally they should pursue you to the extent of the law, which would incur a minimum of 1000 fine. I have already heard of numerous people being given such fines, so i would not recommend a "ah sure it'll be grand" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Laurs_civic

cant be true , cause if u go to your test now without a fully licence driver you automaically fail.

cant be true , cause if u go to your test now without a fully licence driver you automaically fail.

This is incorrect, although i have been hearing examinors asking how students got to the test centre, it's not a requirement to prove how you get to and from test centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭token56

This is completely untrue, they can only fail you for anything you do on your, nothing before or after, like how you got to your test etc. Now they may be stricter on you during the test if they think you are after driving there unaccompanied.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This might sound like an odd question, but in Ireland do you do your driving test in your own car?
    What if you don't have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can often hire one from a driving instructor/school.

Weird, but interesting... it kind of gives an insight into the logic that went into designing the system, though.
    So essentially, in addition to the stress of the driving test, there's a sort of built in MOT before you get going?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Hanley wrote: »
    It's all down to the individual Garda. The one you were talking to seems sound enough and sensible.

Sound enough and sensible?
    Really?
    By letting someone break the law?
    The 'ah go on sure you're grand just don't do it again' attitude in this country is sickening.
    It's what has us in this mess in the first place.
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Weird, but interesting... it kind of gives an insight into the logic that went into designing the system, though.
    So essentially, in addition to the stress of the driving test, there's a sort of built in MOT before you get going?

You have to do the test in a roadworthy car, yes. What's that got to do with hiring an instructor's car?

mathie wrote: »
    Really?
    The 'ah go on sure you're grand just don't do it again' attitude in this country is sickening.
    M

You do realise that unless you're completely observant of the law in EVERYTHING you do, all day, EVERY day then you're nothing but a hypocrite?

So if you've ever broken the speed limit, or gone thru an amber light you could have stopped for, or dropped some chewing gum on the ground, or littered, or had a can of beer on the side of the street, or been drunk and loud in public, then you're noting but a hypocrite right?

THAT attitude is what I find sickening.

All the examiner will look for is a valid NCT, if your car needs one. Apart from checking lights, tires etc, he's not going to test the car to make sure all aspects of it are working. You sign a document saying that your car is roadworthy before going out to your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SakisP

All the examiner will look for is a valid NCT, if your car needs one. Apart from checking lights, tires etc, he's not going to test the car to make sure all aspects of it are working. You sign a document saying that your car is roadworthy before going out to your car.
    About NCT, if mine next one is due in couple of months, it sholdn't be a problem, right? I mean, there is no issue of when the car was nct-ed last time?

Sure. It just sounded like a weird set-up. I'm used to the test centre providing the cars for the test for all candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

mathie wrote: »
    Really?
    M

Without doubt a bit of history there. I can tell you have a few run ins with L plates or did they manage to cause you a few minutes delay. I wonder did you drive on 1st provisonal?

I don't normally pick on anyone but get off your high horse. I think until we get testing on demand or within reason these laws should be relaxed. I like many people have to wait to do a test. 8 weeks and more. I have a letter saying test date now in August. I am lucky. People i know are on 15, 16 weeks still. Its the luck of the draw.

Think about if it was you and you had to get to work 15km away with no buses etc. What would you do? Would you drive. We are all not bad drivers. Infact some of us are very capable but just need testing. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

how would they know you were on your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭starlight07

Im completly stressin out over this whole situation. Ive applied for my test twice, just incase I fail ye know. Shoulda pulled the finger out months ago
    when I first heard about this law... but I didnt until now.

Basically Im only driving my car now when it is completly necessary- to and from work, If I didnt I'd have to get 2 buses, one into town and another to finglas, plus I work ridiculous shift hours so the bus isnt even always an option.

I dont drive a banger, im in an 08 car that im workin my ass off to pay for, the last thing I need is a grand fine or worse a 2 grand fine. I dont think I have the balls to drive with the L plates up with just a letter saying ive applied, I mean whos to say I will even pass?? Driving tests are stressfull enough without this added pressure and theres only so much rescue remedy ye can neck before your over the limit.

I swear I dont know what to be doin, bought the L plates. Have them up when Ive a full license driver in the car, then going through a whole mental debate when I dont- take them down n get caught, show my useless stinking provisional license and completly piss the guard who stops me off. Or leave them up draw attention to myself, get pulled, show my letter (s) and hope the guard is sound and will listen to my sob story. (More than likely not)

Ive heard of a girl who got stopped, a young girl like myself in a nice car, she had no L plates up and got done for a grand and was given a 14 weeks to pay it. But then again it was a friend of a friend so who knows if its even true, all the threads on this askin if people have been done have either gone off track or been locked... ARGHHH THE STRESS! Feels good to rant. Anyone else feelin the inner turmoil??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I doubt all Gardai will be as understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

JP Liz wrote: »
    I doubt all Gardai will be as understanding

Yes... well.... I mean why look at the bright side of things.
    Remember... in the traditional Irish manor The glass is always half empty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

:rolleyes:

stupidity kills

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

iRock wrote: »
    Yes... well.... I mean why look at the bright side of things.
    Remember... in the traditional Irish manor The glass is always half empty!

Err on the side of caution when a grand is at stake, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

All this nonsense makes me sick! If you're fit to drive then you can pass your test within 6-8 weeks with no letter from an employer, if you fail then you should be kept off the road, its not as if the test is hard, just drive sanely. There really is no excuse to drive unaccompanied. A LOT of L-drivers really shouldn't be on the road in my experience. Eight 1k fines in the Gorey area apparently since the 1st :pac:. Féckin boy racing L-plate scummers in clapped out 106's Corsa's and Polo's, they all should be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Eight 1k fines in the Gorey area apparently since the 1st

Ha where the hell did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Local pub counter :rolleyes:

lolli wrote: »
    Ha where the hell did you hear that?

He musta been in the court when they processed them.

That's a pretty quick turnover too. They musta put a judge in place especially to deal with these matters with grave urgency :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bestinwest90

Told The Same Thing, And If one Garda says you be ok with a letter (providing you have his name) then Dont worry about it !!

On a side note, When doing the test is a testers car , do i have to make any arangements beofore hand or just say it when i turn up?? Is there any extra fee for doing this?

Local pub counter :rolleyes:

Hmmmm ok :P I live in Gorey area havent seen one Guard since this came in. Going into Gorey now for a driving lesson :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

Yeah I heard about someone who was driving to college from Arklow and she was stopped by a Garda. But she told him that there was no way her parents could drive her up, because they go to work in the opposite direction and the buses and trains are so infrequent that she couldn't rely on them. She said "I might as well quit college if I can't drive up, I have absolutely no other way of getting there."

And the Garda just let her off.

• Advertisement

I was driving to UCD a few times a week aswell. My driving test is first week in august so fingers crossed.

Advertisement