Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Show the Gardai a letter and you're grand!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's all mine!
    Okay so i've started the thread, and made clear the rules for said thread. Any, and i mean any, off topic posting will result in a ban. No questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

took just barely under a year from date of application fo rme to get my 1st test. In Offaly.
    Thats only because after many many months i sent a letter from work....

And we dont got buses, trams, luas, etc. where i live... thankfully i got it first time. really needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,176 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's all mine!
    Okay so i've started the thread, and made clear the rules for said thread. Any, and i mean any, off topic posting will result in a ban. No questions.

Maybe Limit it to the past 6 months, to narrow down the snapshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

It's all mine!

Thanks Alanstrainor. Can you restrict it to a simple poll so there is no off topic posting. Just wondering. Its quite possible that my suggestion is a worse solution!

Yes, i'll try set up a poll when i get home from work, i'm on the mobile so setting a poll is difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Yes, i'll try set up a poll when i get home from work, i'm on the mobile so setting a poll is difficult.

Yeah, its not a demand or anything. Just something that occured to me. the thread appears to be working well at the moment, and there is more scope to discuss issues. As you mention, spose it just needs everyone to keep it on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭helen1

i just passed my test and was wondering if anyone knows if you still need someone with a full drivers licence with you. I have applied for my licence and its in the post.

You have applied for your license so the receipt you recieved upon applying will suffice in the mean time. You can drive unaccomp. I would recommend carrying some for of ID with you in the car as well as the receipt though, it may not be required but it's a handy thing to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭techdiver

Looking at the 'The how long it took to get your test thread.'

Not seeing the national average of 7.7 developing there as of yet. Based on the current submission I calculate the average waiting time on that thread as:

14 weeks approx.

Seems the RSA are conceding that they are somewhat not able to deal with the volume of applications and that they are not contactable at the best of times.

From Driving Test Site:
    The Driver Testing Section is currently experiencing large volumes of driving test applications and associated queries. We are dealing with your query as quickly as we can, but please bear with us if you do experience a delay. We apologise for any inconvenience caused to you.

They still have made any changes to the Average Waiting times since June.

Looks as if the less than 10 weeks waiting time post June 30th is yet another promise not kept by a government body.

I somehow doubt you took into account the date these applicants applied?

• Advertisement

I somehow doubt you took into account the date these applicants applied?

Why would the Driving Test website post a message such as that if they weren't feeling the pressure from an unrealistic target given current resources.

techdiver wrote: »
    Why would the Driving Test website post a message such as that if they weren't feeling the pressure from an unrealistic target given current resources.

Apparently they have stopped answering the phones, was talking to a Client yesterday whos son spent 5 days ringing only to be told by a receptionist that he would get better joy sending an e-mail. Poor fella spent about 50 euro credit being on hold, he should have put it towards a couple of lessons. :D

There is no doubt the average could double or in some places even treble. It is just common sense.

Boggles wrote: »
    Apparently they have stopped answering the phones, was talking to a Client yesterday whos son spent 5 days ringing only to be told by a receptionist that he would get better joy sending an e-mail.

I sent tonnes of emails over the course of 2 months and did not receive one reply. So it seems he was being fobbed off on that front too!

I was lucky to get through by calling at 9.29am (lines officially open at 9.30am) one morning and got though, albeit after being on hold for 15 minutes. If I hadn't done that I still would not have a date for my test.

I sent tonnes of emails over the course of 2 months and did not receive one reply. So it seems he was being fobbed off on that front too!

I was lucky to get through by calling at 9.29am (lines officially open at 9.30am) one morning and got though, albeit after being on hold for 15 minutes. If I hadn't done that I still would not have a date for my test.

I was thinking the e-mail route was a bit futile alright.

This lads first provisional expires next week, he has recieved no letter stating that he has at least applied for his test (2nd person I know of), so he is not able to apply for a second license, therefore is off the road come next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Maybe what is required is a how long it took to get your test thread. If enough reply should give a good snapshot of the actual averages.
    While it may sound like a good idea, it would probably be slightly flawed. Persons who utilise this forum tend to be mainly learners. Supposing Joe Soap posts a few times here while waiting for a test which he gets and passes within 3 or 4 weeks. Human nature being what it is, Joe Soap will generally lose interest in the forum after getting the test and will prefer to spend time elsewhere while those who are still waiting will continue to visit the Forum on a regular basis giving the impression that everyone is waiting much longer than average..
    This lads first provisional expires next week, he has recieved no letter stating that he has at least applied for his test (2nd person I know of), so he is not able to apply for a second license, therefore is off the road come next week.
    That is incorrect. There is no requirement to show proof of having applied for a driving test to obtain a 2nd Learner Permit.

It also begs the question, what was "this lad" doing for the past 100 weeks of his 1st Provisional Licence? Why wait until the 1st Provisional is almost expired before applying for a test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 debby08

since wen do u get a letter to say ya have to renew ur licence,it all just common sense.u no wen it is up and u shud renew it b4 it expires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 debby08

u dont get a letter to say you have to renew ur licence,u renew it wen it up or most people renew theres b4 it is up which is common sense really.

While it may sound like a good idea, it would probably be slightly flawed. Persons who utilise this forum tend to be mainly learners. Supposing Joe Soap posts a few times here while waiting for a test which he gets and passes within 3 or 4 weeks. Human nature being what it is, Joe Soap will generally lose interest in the forum after getting the test and will prefer to spend time elsewhere while those who are still waiting will continue to visit the Forum on a regular basis giving the impression that everyone is waiting much longer than average..

Joe Soap waiting for the test should not be posting on the thread. It was clearly laid out
    As the title says, how long did it take you to get your test from applying to the date you sat your test?
    That is incorrect. There is no requirement to show proof of having applied for a driving test to obtain a 2nd Learner Permit.

Was this not one of the changes made, I stand corrected.
    It also begs the question, what was "this lad" doing for the past 100 weeks of his 1st Provisional Licence? Why wait until the 1st Provisional is almost expired before applying for a test?

Arguement flogged, bad lazy person, etc, blah.

While it may sound like a good idea, it would probably be slightly flawed. Persons who utilise this forum tend to be mainly learners. Supposing Joe Soap posts a few times here while waiting for a test which he gets and passes within 3 or 4 weeks. Human nature being what it is, Joe Soap will generally lose interest in the forum after getting the test and will prefer to spend time elsewhere while those who are still waiting will continue to visit the Forum on a regular basis giving the impression that everyone is waiting much longer than average...

If you read through the thread many, if not at least half the posters have already done and passed their tests.

debby08 wrote: »
    u dont get a letter to say you have to renew ur licence,u renew it wen it up or most people renew theres b4 it is up which is common sense really.
    debby08 - I realise that you are new around here but TXTSPK is not permitted on this Forum (or on most Forums on boards.ie). ;)

• Advertisement

Joe Soap waiting for the test should not be posting on the thread. It was clearly laid out
    If you read through the thread many, if not at least half the posters have already done and passed their tests.
    I take the points but many of those who have passed their test first time in a relatively short time won't be back and therefore won't see that thread.

I take the points but many of those who have passed their test first time in a relatively short time won't be back and therefore won't see that thread.

Well I don't think I was every hoping for 100% saturation, there are alot of people who pass their test that are not boards user. ;)

there are alot of people who pass their test that are not boards user. ;)
    I'm referring to boards users only! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Well lads I found out first hand just now showing them the letter doesnt matter lol!

Got stopped at a checkpoint and asked for my liecense, showed him it and the sheet and he just threw the sheet at me saying its pointless showing you that. I only had one L-plate which was on the front dash and then the back one was gone, but luckily I had my father with me (Full liecense holder) so he let me go and told me to get new L-plates lol.

Nice chap tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Well lads I found out first hand just now showing them the letter doesnt matter lol!

Got stopped at a checkpoint and asked for my liecense, showed him it and the sheet and he just threw the sheet at me saying its pointless showing you that. I only had one L-plate which was on the front dash and then the back one was gone, but luckily I had my father with me (Full liecense holder) so he let me go and told me to get new L-plates lol.

Nice chap tho!

Why did you even bother to show the letter if you had a fully licensed driver with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Did you show them the note from your mother?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Pythia wrote: »
    Why did you even bother to show the letter if you had a fully licensed driver with you?

Well my liecense is in the folded sheet so I gave him the sheet and liecense. If I were on my own he wouldnt had taking any notice of it anyway.
    Stark wrote: »
    Did you show them the note from your mother?
    huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    ....... I only had one L-plate which was on the front dash and then the back one was gone, but luckily I had my father with me (Full liecense holder) so he let me go and told me to get new L-plates lol.

Nice chap tho!
    It's not meant to boil down to luck as to whether you have a qualified driver accompanying you. It is something you have to ensure and arrange.

The gardai are all nice chaps (when they let you off):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Did they ask to see your license?

No they didnt ask for my licence but I had my L plates up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I know a girl who was driving with L plates on her own (I know this as she had just left my house), got stopped and nothing happened. Maybe its cause shes female. I wouldnt risk it personally.

Advertisement