Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 to PC

• 03-07-2008 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

First of all, is it possible to transfer video and music files from a PC to a 360 or is it only possible to stream?

Secondly, how do I connect them??

I'm using an Ethernet crossover cable. If I connect the cable from the 360 to a router I can get Xbox live no problem. When I connect the cable from the PC to the 360 I get a "limited or no connectivity" message from the LAN. I run the Media Connection Test. Network Adapter comes up as "Wired". IP Address then Fails.

I went into "Edit Settings" on the Xbox. I changed the IP Settings to Manual and set it with my PC's IP. I got a message from the LAN icon on the PC saying "there is an IP conflict with another system on the network". I just tried entering my PC's IP settings into the Xbox again and that message doesn't come up anymore. I've changed a few things around at this stage which would probably explain that.

At least I know I must be close. I've tried changing the "x" in 192.168.1.x to a few different numbers with no success.

Any ideas?

btw, Windows media player doesn't find it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

So you're connecting your PC to your Xbox and not getting on Live? That seems odd. Oh wait, that's exactly what will happen when you don't have an internet connection! You'll need a second NIC (wired or wireless) to connect to your router, then you'll have to config it all to work together. It's really not worth the hassle... go buy the Xbox wireless NIC instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

helios wrote: »
    So you're connecting your PC to your Xbox and not getting on Live? That seems odd.
    Why is that? Let's say I have an episode of Lost on my PC that I want to put on my XBox and watch it. Or a load of songs that I'd like to transfer to my Xbox. I'd have thought one single cable would be good enough for transferring files from one to another.

All of the above is based on whether the answer to my first question is Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

why cant you do it through the router?

If you connect too things together via crossover with no DHCP server then it wont work. Both machines will look for an IP from a DHCP server.

If you want to do it by connecting directly, you have to put the pc and the xbox on the same ip range. i.e.

Xbox: 192.168.11.1
    PC: 192.168.11.2

why cant you do it through the router?
    I have an Ethernet port and a USB port on my router. I don't know how to go about setting that up. I remember trying about a year ago using a USB cable and a Ethernet cable and I just couldn't do it.
    If you want to do it by connecting directly, you have to put the pc and the xbox on the same ip range. i.e.

Xbox: 192.168.11.1
    PC: 192.168.11.2
    So I need a DHCP server to do this yeh? What's a DHCP server? :) Is it just not possible for me to connect the 2 things up with the 1 cable with my current setup?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

No, you don't need a DHCP server, but if there is no DHCP server present, you must assign the IP of the XBox and the PC Manually. Do it to the ones i mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. I don't know anything about DHCP or whether I have it or not. I did a bit of googling. I went into the 192.168.1.1. The only thing in there I can find about DHCP is:

DHCP Table

Host Name .... ****-0aoece5a6

IP Address .... 192.168.1.34

MAC Address .... 00-0C-F1-C9-BD-7E

and
    ---

LAN Information

MAC Address: 00:a0:c5:9a:ff:f2
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP: Server
    DHCP Start IP: 192.168.1.33
    DHCP Pool Size: 32

I don't know if that is of any use.

Also, here's a screenshot of the LAN Setting page:
    lansettingsof8.jpg

I'll give this a bump and then leave it forever and ever. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mickyt

Probably no help here, but I just bought an external hard drive and put all my songs films etc on it.

Now if I want to be able to watch anything on the pc or xbox/tv. I plug it in there.

am I off the point here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Okay, it looks like you've got a few things going on. Firstly - there's no way to copy a file from PC and save it to your 360. It's streaming only for Movies and Music you may want to view on the 360. If you only have a few files, a portable Hard disk or USB Memory Stick should do the trick without all this messing.

If you want to go on with the full network and stream your movies that way. I'd thoroughly recommend TVersity. It's very easy to set up and gives you useful information on any other configuration you might need for Firewalls, etc.

Right, on to the Networky stuff, if you want to get this sorted.

Do you want to be able to connect to your PC and Xbox Live at the same time?. If so, you'll need to either
    1) Connect your 360 and PC to the router at the same time with a standard Ethernet cable (not crossover)
    2) Connect your 360 to the PC using a crossover cable and then connect the PC to the router (either wirelessly if your laptop has wireless or with a straight Ethernet cable - you'd need a second NIC port on your PC for that).
    3) Connect using Wireless from 360 to Router (wireless card sold separately) and connect the PC to the router how ever you would like.

The easiest options should be 1) or 3). Your router is likely set up for DHCP (automatic IP Address assignment) and if your PC and XBOX are set up for Automatic (or Automatically receive an IP Address) then when you switch them on they should receive a unique address from the Router and be able to see each other.

Option 2) is quite easy, too. But you have to configure Windows for Internet Connection Sharing - there's usually a wizard to set that up. I've never done it and can't help you there, I'm afraid. Maybe support.microsoft.com might be able to help you there.

From your screenshot, it looks like you have a standard Zyxel Router that you get from BT - This will use the internal IP address of 192.168.1.1 by default, leave it like this.

The Router will act as a DHCP server, if you need it to. It is currently configured to dish out up to 32 addresses starting at 192.168.1.33.

In the Network settings for your PC, under the properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), or Internet Protocol V4 if you have Vista, you can set it to automatically receive an IP address from the router (acting as a DHCP server).

If you set your XBOX up to use Automatic addressing, then it too will pick up an automatic address and you should be laughing.

If you just want to be able to stream files from your PC to XBOX and not bother with XBOX Live at the same time
    If you use the crossover cable to connect the 360 to the PC your PC is no longer on the network with the router (and your internet connection is gone. The PC can't get an IP address from the Router (acting as DHCP server) and you get a 'limited or no connectivity' type message from Windows.

Windows will give you a made up IP address - usually 169.254.x.y (where x.y is the client’s unique identifier) address range with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. In order for your 360 to be able to communicate with the PC you will need to set the address manually to 169.254.x.z (where x.z is a different identifier to the PC). Set the subnet mask to be the same value on the XBox and PC ... This tells them how to communicate with each other. You don't need to worry about Default Gateway value here because they'll not need it.

Now, if you want to later connect your XBOX to Live using your Router, you'll need to undo the manual 169.254.x.z address you gave it - because that's not on the same Subnet as the Router.

Alternatively, you could give your PC and XBOX each a unique IP address in the same range as the Router (e.g. PC = 192.168.1.40 and XBox = 192.168.1.41 ... both with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0). With this configuration you'll need to define the Default Gateway as 192.168.1.1 (the Router) because that way when you're finished connecting the PC to the XBox directly and hook either back up to the router, they'll be able to connect to the outside world without any other configuration.

Best of luck with all that ... Hope it helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mickyt

Okay, it looks like you've got a few things going on. Firstly - there's no way to copy a file from PC and save it to your 360. It's streaming only for Movies and Music you may want to view on the 360. If you only have a few files, a portable Hard disk or USB Memory Stick should do the trick without all this messing.

If you want to go on with the full network and stream your movies that way. I'd thoroughly recommend TVersity. It's very easy to set up and gives you useful information on any other configuration you might need for Firewalls, etc.

Right, on to the Networky stuff, if you want to get this sorted.

Do you want to be able to connect to your PC and Xbox Live at the same time?. If so, you'll need to either
    1) Connect your 360 and PC to the router at the same time with a standard Ethernet cable (not crossover)
    2) Connect your 360 to the PC using a crossover cable and then connect the PC to the router (either wirelessly if your laptop has wireless or with a straight Ethernet cable - you'd need a second NIC port on your PC for that).
    3) Connect using Wireless from 360 to Router (wireless card sold separately) and connect the PC to the router how ever you would like.

The easiest options should be 1) or 3). Your router is likely set up for DHCP (automatic IP Address assignment) and if your PC and XBOX are set up for Automatic (or Automatically receive an IP Address) then when you switch them on they should receive a unique address from the Router and be able to see each other.

Option 2) is quite easy, too. But you have to configure Windows for Internet Connection Sharing - there's usually a wizard to set that up. I've never done it and can't help you there, I'm afraid. Maybe support.microsoft.com might be able to help you there.

From your screenshot, it looks like you have a standard Zyxel Router that you get from BT - This will use the internal IP address of 192.168.1.1 by default, leave it like this.

The Router will act as a DHCP server, if you need it to. It is currently configured to dish out up to 32 addresses starting at 192.168.1.33.

In the Network settings for your PC, under the properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), or Internet Protocol V4 if you have Vista, you can set it to automatically receive an IP address from the router (acting as a DHCP server).

If you set your XBOX up to use Automatic addressing, then it too will pick up an automatic address and you should be laughing.

If you just want to be able to stream files from your PC to XBOX and not bother with XBOX Live at the same time
    If you use the crossover cable to connect the 360 to the PC your PC is no longer on the network with the router (and your internet connection is gone. The PC can't get an IP address from the Router (acting as DHCP server) and you get a 'limited or no connectivity' type message from Windows.

Windows will give you a made up IP address - usually 169.254.x.y (where x.y is the client’s unique identifier) address range with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. In order for your 360 to be able to communicate with the PC you will need to set the address manually to 169.254.x.z (where x.z is a different identifier to the PC). Set the subnet mask to be the same value on the XBox and PC ... This tells them how to communicate with each other. You don't need to worry about Default Gateway value here because they'll not need it.

Now, if you want to later connect your XBOX to Live using your Router, you'll need to undo the manual 169.254.x.z address you gave it - because that's not on the same Subnet as the Router.

Alternatively, you could give your PC and XBOX each a unique IP address in the same range as the Router (e.g. PC = 192.168.1.40 and XBox = 192.168.1.41 ... both with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0). With this configuration you'll need to define the Default Gateway as 192.168.1.1 (the Router) because that way when you're finished connecting the PC to the XBox directly and hook either back up to the router, they'll be able to connect to the outside world without any other configuration.

Best of luck with all that ... Hope it helped.
    GOOD POST

• Advertisement

Excellent write up Fingleberries. I appreciate the time that took. I'll set it up when I get a chance.

Cheers.

Advertisement